Lost my iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by IamFaustus, Aug 23, 2011.

1. IamFaustus macrumors member

I lost my iPad last Tuesday and miss it terribly.

I usually read ebooks on my iPad during the boring parts of my eight year old sons football practice. On this particular night, the coach had ice cream for the kids. I ended up carrying my chair, the iPad and my sons helmet. When we got to the car I put the iPad on the roof of the car so I could get my keys to open the car. An hour later I pulled into the driveway, got out of the truck and looked over at the passenger seat. No iPad!

I searched everywhere in the truck no ipad! I ran my son inside and got him to bed and then raced back to the field to look for the iPad. I had nice mareware case on it so there is a high likelihood it survived falling of my truck. I searched on my iPhone to find my iPad but I only had the wi-fi version. There is no wifi around the field so no dice.

I retraced my exit route from the field but never found it. I called the police and pawns shops. I posted to the lost and found on craigslist list but it has never turned up.

Anyway I'm saving for an iPad 2 and will get the att version because of the gps functionality. I don't post a lot here but thought if anyone can understand my pain it would be other iPad users.

2. urkel macrumors 68030

Keep tracking it with Find my iPhone. IF someone picked it up then its bound to pass by some wifi at some point.

BTW. I know they were doing an update for Find My iPhone where it would email you whenever it hits a wifi spot. Is that an iOS5 feature or does that work now?

3. IamFaustus thread starter macrumors member

I check Find my iPad a few times a day but it has never turned up. After a few days I wiped it. I'm suppose to get an email if it wipes it bit that hasn't happened yet.

4. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

I recently found an iPad and MacBook air in my front yard. Someone had done the same as you an left his bag on the roof (we live on a curve of a busy street). Is you iPad password protected? This guys stuff was locked down and the only way we found him was his stack of business cards. Needless to say, he was pretty relieved.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I lost my first pair of glasses a month or two ago and they cost... 200 I think? And that's with a 25 percent discount.

I have a new pair now so I hope I'll keep up with them this time.

On another note, back last semester, I left my pair of Shure SE535s in the school's pool hall. They retail for 550.

Luckily, I was the last one in there and when I found out that I left them on the pool table, I ran over there and saw them still laying there.

I **** bricks until I could finally get it back.

I'm sure the iPad will turn up though.

6. madat42 macrumors regular

I feel for you as I'd be pretty bummed too. If you haven't received a notice yet that it was wiped, maybe it's still out there. Or, a good samaritin picked it up. Have you checked Craigslist, or even the nearest police station if someone turned it in?

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Good luck to you! Luckily there are still some good people in this world who still do the right thing. Keep the serial # with you. It'll expedite the recovery process if/when it happens.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You'd be amazed how long something sitting on top of your car can stay up there until it falls off. I'd check your street and driveway too, and more of your route.

I'm sure you did this already, but you did check your truck bed, right? Especially if you have stuff in it already? (Checking in and around and under the stuff?)

9. IamFaustus thread starter macrumors member

I drove the route when I went back to the field later that night. I do wonder how long it stayed on the car. I went from residential to a main arterial after a few blocks and eventually to the freeway. Once out of the neighborhood I figure it wouldn't survive the onslaught of other cars. I guess I rather have it destroyed than found and kept by somone.

Anyway I'm hoping to upgrade to the iPad 2 by October. By then we should know if there is anything real behind all of the iPad 3 rumors.

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

Sorry to hear that, I am quite careful with mine. See if you can file a complaint with Apple, I heard somewhere that if the iPad is plugged into the computer then Apple comes to know via the serial number and can trace it. Again, this is only something I have heard so cannot say for sure how true it is, if at all. Worth a try I guess or well - others, is that true?

Find My iPhone has a nice feature that it emails you once an 'offline' device is found. I occasionally get this for my iPod Touch as it can never be found using the service. Maybe that will work for you as well.

11. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

I lost mine as well - that I purchased day one at the Apple store in SF. I don't have much more to add than "I share your pain." I also bought a replacement within a week.

12. IamFaustus thread starter macrumors member

After going almost two weeks without my ipad, I bought a new iPad 2 yesterday. After losing my old iPad there was never a trace of it again.

My father in law said I came up with a pretty effective plan to replace my iPad 1. I responded, painful but effective!