Lost my IPhone 3GS today, think it was stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dgerch, Jul 20, 2011.

1. dgerch macrumors member

I'll spare you the details but I lost it at the gym.... What should I do? I didn't sign up for any tracking program (MobileMe?, pretty uninformed about this stuff). It had AT&T service.... Do you guys have any advice about retreiving it? When I call it, it goes straight to voicemail, so I assumed whoever took it turned it off.

Thanks!

2. Shoot macrumors regular

you're pretty much out of luck, friend.
    even with mobileme tracking you don't get very far as most people know to restore it.

Here in the UK at least, the carrier can find out roughly where the last call was made but not much more as far as i know :(

I've been there and it's terrible, sorry.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Call AT&T to suspend your service until you find a new phone to use.
    I doubt you will get the phone back. It's pretty hard to get the phone back, even with Mobile me. It's only harder without it.

4. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

Send a text message to the phone saying that whoever is the founder of this phone gets $X if returned.

I've heard of people doing this and it seems to yield successful results. ;)

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

At least with mobile me you can lock the fone to delay someone from accessing the data on it, or make any costly calls. Then you can send a message offering a reward, and then wipe it too.

I agree tho in your case call the network first to barr the micro sim and then phone the police in order to satisfy any insurance claim you may make.

When you get a replacement activate mobileme and think about some form of insurance.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Change all online passwords you may have used on the phone.
    Call AT&T and suspend your service until you get a new phone.
    Your phone is gone, best thing to do is limit any info they can get off of it.

7. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Good luck with that. :)

If you get a replacement iPhone 4 you can get the free Find My iPhone app. If you get a 3GS you'll need to have an iPhone 4 to activate it through.

8. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

It doesn't hurt to file a police report.

"Good things come to those who wait."

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry this happened OP, but it is doubtful that you will ever see it again.