Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
Is there anything more depressing to come back home and find your puppy that you've had for all of one week gone only to hear the neighbors say that right after I left he hurdled a fence (honest to god, didn't think he could make a jump like that) and start running down the road after you? :(

Here's to hoping that someone turns him in or humane society gets a hold of him

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Aaaaaawwwwwwww....:(
sad-dog.jpg

yahya4k

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Wow..Was going to leave a sarcastic comment, but now I just feel depressed. Hope you get him back.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
To answer your question, I could think of a million more depressing things. One would be my wife's cousin's 5- and 3-year old children that on Thursday lost their mother (in her early 40s) to cancer. Does that put things in perspective for you?

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
To answer your question, I could think of a million more depressing things. One would be my wife's cousin's 5- and 3-year old children that on Thursday lost their mother (in her early 40s) to cancer. Does that put things in perspective for you?

I dont think it's a competition.

OP: I hope you find your puppy.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

Did you really need to one-up someone on a puppy-losing story? Do you really think the OP thought that their lost puppy was literally the very worst thing in the world ever to happen? Why not get off the internet and stop taking your sadness/anger out on others and do something useful like bring a meal over to the cousins house and then take the kids out to the park or the zoo?

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Did you really need to one-up someone on a puppy-losing story? Do you really think the OP thought that their lost puppy was literally the very worst thing in the world ever to happen? Why not get off the internet and stop taking your sadness/anger out on others and do something useful like bring a meal over to the cousins house and then take the kids out to the park or the zoo?
What?

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield

More or less, it was a rhetorical question. I guess I should have specified.
But no, it doesn't put it into perspective.

I guess it's all relative. :confused:

Why was the puppy outside when you were leaving the house? Do you have a crate for it?

We left the backdoor open so he could come in and out as he pleases. He's potty trained so he knew to come in when he was done being outside.
We don't have a crate for it cause everyone I know has a dog and we would put him in the garage in the mornings and either a relative or a good friend would be over before he had to go potty. They would walk him and then take him to their house.

Every time he was outside when we were home, he never tried/succeeded to jump the fence.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom

Google 'rhetorical question'.

kthx.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
You probably took a lot of pictures during that first week. Go print some "Missing puppy" ads and put them all over the place. Did it have a RFID device of some sort? A label attached to the collar with your phone number?

Good luck.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
You've had the dog a week. You have no emotional attachment to it whatsoever, even if you think you do. Most people have their dogs for years. They have formed an emotional attachment. I know it feels bad, but soon it won't.

Lest any overly-sensitive person here thinks I'm being heartless, the dog has not been killed as far as we know.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I don't think it matters how many people you know who have dogs, crate training is never a bad thing if done properly. They need to learn to "hold it" and leaving the back door open is just inviting it to go whenever he pleases, even if the door isn't open. Just offering up some advice so it doesn't happen again, especially now that you know it can jump the fence.

I have 2 labradors (one is 4.5 years old, the other is 3) and they were crated while I was gone until they were a year old and knew the rules of the house. Both of my dogs are also microchipped which I would highly recommend getting when you get your pup back.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
You've had the dog a week. You have no emotional attachment to it whatsoever, even if you think you do. Most people have their dogs for years. They have formed an emotional attachment. I know it feels bad, but soon it won't.

Lest any overly-sensitive person here thinks I'm being heartless, the dog has not been killed as far as we know.

Yes, you are being heartless. Would you tell someone who just lost someone that you'll get over it sooner or later?

OP: Hope you find him or someone else does and returns him.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.

What's the point of even commenting if you are going to be insensitive like this? I cant believe you are being serious here.

You need to be put in time-out on the forums and get a good kick in the head in real life. No one wants to hear your crap.

OP: Very sorry to hear this. I cant imagine losing my dog like that. I'd be deeply upset. Wish you the best luck in the recovery of said dog.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
What kind of dog is it? What is the weather and local area like?

Hopefully it is a bigger type of dog in a suburban setting where the weather isn't too extreme. You're more likely to get it back.

I hope you get it back. There are very few things worse than a missing dog, no matter how long you've owned it.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

They are only 5 and 3. They barely knew their mother. Most kids know their moms for decades. They'll get over it.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
That's awful. I hope you get him back. Get on FaceBook and ask everyone in your local area to spread the word. If you have a pic post it on there. Also if you haven't already call the police in case anyone contacts them.

Best of luck.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
What kind of dog is it? What is the weather and local area like?

Hopefully it is a bigger type of dog in a suburban setting where the weather isn't too extreme. You're more likely to get it back.

I hope you get it back. There are very few things worse than a missing dog, no matter how long you've owned it.

I can best describe him as beagle paws/body with a corgi-like head (it's more triangular)
It was pretty hot today and humid. Tons of people in the neighborhood have dogs and with him not being neutered (only 3 more weeks left till the appointment) he's going to be around the yards with dogs.
I'm going out to put signs up today. We walked around for about 3 hours and drove around for two more. People keep seeing him run around to the park in the neighborhood so I have a good feeling that's going to be a good spot to hang out.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I can best describe him as beagle paws/body with a corgi-like head (it's more triangular)
It was pretty hot today and humid. Tons of people in the neighborhood have dogs and with him not being neutered (only 3 more weeks left till the appointment) he's going to be around the yards with dogs.
I'm going out to put signs up today. We walked around for about 3 hours and drove around for two more. People keep seeing him run around to the park in the neighborhood so I have a good feeling that's going to be a good spot to hang out.

Good luck. Let us know when you get him back.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Well, guess we found the person who has never had a pet before...

I can't decide if you are ignorant of pet ownership or just that callous.

OP: Sorry to hear that, good luck finding him.

williamatwell18

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Aaaaaawwwwwwww....:(
sad-dog.jpg

wow..so cute.... it's a beagle ..am i right?? i think when you leave it also run away..he's following you but he can't catch up with you..or it ran away then get caught with a dog catcher?(am i giving the correct term?"dog catcher"?)
sorry to hear about your pet..

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Aw :( Put up flyers around town with the puppy's picture and contact info. I think those work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.