Lost phone, need a new one: Bold or iPhone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alphaod, Jul 23, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Got my phone stolen today; tried looking for it for 6 hours, but have since given up (have already done a remote wipe and suspended my account, so there is no way to recover it now).

I'm stuck on a 2 year contract with AT&T, so I'm not going anywhere.

I personally have been putting off getting an iPhone for as long as possible having disliked the original iPhone—but I love the iPod touch which I own several of.

My since stolen phone was a Blackberry Bold 9000; it is a great email device, but unfortunately the model is almost a year old and quite frankly that's a bit too old.

I have a $65 unlimited data plan that I can't remove within the next 10 months without incurring ETF; this means I'm in this predicament with a limited number of choices unless I want to get ripped off by AT&T even more. I have to make the most out of what I'm stuck with.

These are my only choices if I do not want to have to pay the ETF:
    1) Get another Bold (that's as good as they get).
    2) Get an iPhone 3GS (this is only other phone I can get with the aforementioned data plan).

Oh right I should mention, I would need to buy either phone unsubsidized.

The only other phone I would consider is a Nokia N97, but to get that it would mean I need to pay the ETF + $700 for the phone (AKA ~$1000 after taxes and stuff).

I know the iPhone is a great media device no doubt about that but now there are a few issues:
    1) How is it as a phone? (call quality, etc.)
    2) How many email clients can I sync with it at the same time? I know the Blackberry can do 10 plus the Blackberry email account and one enterprise activation (making it 12). I need to be able to sync at least 8 accounts (which is what I use right now).

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

You could also get the 8900; its much snappier than the bold with some nice upgrades but does lack 3G... But browsing on the BB is sub-par anyway so if you can stick to wifi you're probably good. Edge handles GPS and everything else just fine.

If you want to go the cheap route, you could snag a 3G on here from someone for relatively cheap. Maybe even the same thing with a bold or 8900.

I have both, and I use the 8900 during the week for time-sensitive email. I grab my iphone on occasion during the weekends, but it is getting to be less and less...

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Oh. Email on the iphone... Most accounts will require fetch, as very few work with push. The only way around that is to route email through mobile me or yahoo, both of which utilize push. If you are used to BB email, iphone email will be nothing short of infuriating. It is sub-par to say the least...

4. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

For heavy texting and email, I'd choose a blackberry any day over an iPhone. However, the iPhone is, hands down, the best mobile web browsing experience available...plus the apps are, IMHO unmatched.

I have a work-issued blackberry that I use heavily for work email. And I have an iPhone that I use for my mobile connectivity and fun. ;)

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I have the new 3Gs iPhone and find it is much faster than the 3G I passed down to my wife. (though the 3.0 update did speed the 3G up significantly while improving battery life. ) I hv 5 email accounts including exchange and while they work reasonably well, my old bb was a better email/shared calendar device.

That said, I prefer this iPhone to the bb and much more so than my wife's old windows mobile htc.

Cheers,

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

The iPhone is really horrible as a phone. Call quality is fickle and it seems to drop more calls than other phones. In addition, I also use it for multiple email accounts, and it's a pain since they can't all display their inboxes on the same screen. You need to back-navigate to the main account page, then select the account, go through it's folders, to get to the inbox: repeat for another account. The blackberry serves as a much better phone for email.

7. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Just got off the phone with AT&T.

An iPhone 3GS would run me $500 :(
    A Blackberry is also $500, but I could probably get it elsewhere for like $400 :eek:

Good to know that I can sync many accounts with the iPhone… I have found that I could sell all my iPod touches and that would cover quite a bit.

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Not quite the same, but what about the Nokia E71x? With a bit of tweaking it is a very competent device.

Just make sure you install nokia mail (look on nokiaexperts.com for instructions), don't bother with the default system.

9. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I already have an E71 that I bought over a year ago; good phone; yes the default email system does suck.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPhone original and iPhone 3gs both work great for me.

I must have sold over 50 of the original iPhones, it's been close to 2 years and no one ever had any complains on any mulfunctions.

If problems are the norm, then people won't be happy, but people are happy with their iPhone. Voice quality and reception of iPhone better than sprint phone, in the area where sprint is headquartered.

11. AMessy macrumors member

I feel your pain, I lost my iPhone 3G in November while in New Orleans on a buisness trip. Had to pay the $500 for a new one later that day.

Can you get insurance on AT&T's blackberrys? I know it's hind sight not but you may want to look into it in the future.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

What about getting an iPhone 2G? I'm sure you could find one pretty cheep, and you'd only be out $10/month for the data plan.

Or get a iPhone 3G. that would probably save you a hundred.

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

1) Blackberry is ok, but browsing kind of blows and Apps are much more expensive.
    2) N97 is an apparent piece of trash says Gizmodo and Engadget (slow and just waaay too much $$$). I trust these guys so I would steer clear.
    3) iPhone is well rounded on nearly all fronts. I don't know why you wouldn't get one.

14. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Coming from a Sony Ericsson k800i and an LG Viewty I've found the call quality on the 3G to be significantly better surprisingly .

As a phone I find it perfectly useable, I've even gotten used to the touch screen texting which I never did get used to on the Viewty.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know what the quality of the 3gs is like.

15. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Agree with most said here. Bold has a nice sharp screen and out of all BB would get Bold with their excellent email, but iPhone is the best all-rounder. Could set iPhone to fetch your email every 15 minutes but that drains your battery. Would need to watch hour battery to make sure it lasts for the day. If you got mophie juice pack air that would double battery life but makes iPhone heavier and thicker.

16. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

That's good to hear. It's less of the malfunctions I'm worried about but more of the day-to-day usage issues.

Yeah I had insurance; silly me decided that paying for insurance was a waste of money because I've never lost a phone before in the last 13 or so years.

Well one of the justifications I have for the iPhone is that it would replace my iPod touch(es); and the only way it would replace it is if I got the 32GB model (or whatever if higher when I actually buy the phone). I have been planning to get the next generation iPod touch (assuming normal release in Sept.), so it not about finding a phone cheap or saving a few bucks. I'm looking for the best experience and usability; it's really a hassle to have to switch phones back and forth, and I need this phone to last me a year or two.

That's one issue; I will need to fetch the emails every 15 minutes (or even 5 if it's offered); I do have push on some of my email accounts, but I hear that burns through juice as well. I'm already carrying 2 cell phones; I'd really like to stay clear of having to carry extra batteries as well.

17. suekitch macrumors regular

I came from a Sony Ericsson k660i. That's the UK model at least, but if you don't have it there, it's a very basic handset. It had HSDPA which meant I could just about check things online when out and about, MSN messenger and stuff. I really like internet functionality on a phone - I use it a lot.

I know you're more interested in the usability of an iPhone, but I'm talking about the 'net stuff because it's such a big part of why they're awesome. And then, of course, the App store. Going to get Curse of Monkey Island today!

So as a phone, I've had no problems at all. Dials fine, I hear people fine, they hear me fine, it's all good. One feature I like is when you move the phone away from your ear it lights up; so that's handy for when you have to dial a number for an automated system or similar :)

Text messages: I really like how they're stored. It's like conversations, it's made to look like iChat I think? I don't use iChat so I'm not sure but it's really useful.

MMS: Works just great now we're on OS 3.0.

e-mail: I use mine with my Gmail, MobileMe and university e-mail (which is now based on Gmail). It's true you have to select one account at a time but this doesn't bother me. Only thing that bugs me, and this is Hotmail thing, not an iPhone thing, is that you can't sync Hotmail because they don't let you use external stuff, so it requires going to the website instead.

MobileMe works great with it too! My contacts and latest bookmarks are with me wherever I go, as well as the calendar which is the most important to me. The best bit is that I don't have to do a thing. It also tells me where my phone is if I login to find it etc and you can send a remote wipe command (as you did with the Blackberry I guess).

If you use the internet on it quite a bit though it does eat into the battery, but it's never got to the point where the battery has died on me when I needed it; it'll always get through the day and that's even with me chatting to people for a few hours on MSN etc (airport departure lounges can be quite dull).

I love mine, does it show? It's quite expensive, coming from a basic phone on pay as you go, but I honestly find it worth it for how I use it. I think the only thing that does bug me is that people always want to check their facebook on my phone which is a bit annoying :p

18. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't use MMS, so that doesn't bother me at all; I also don't use Hotmail, so I don't have to deal with that either.

I just put in a claim with American Express and they agreed to credit me the price of the phone I lost under their cardmember protection plan; I just have to submit my police report.

That does mean I'm not really spending much; I got a rebate for the Blackberry, so I'm in good shape for either another Blackberry or iPhone and I think I'm starting to lean towards the iPhone seeing all the advantages. I mean every one loves it not just because it's nice looking right? It's got to be done right somehow!

Oh I have to decide by next week.

19. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

are you sure you're not making looks sway you over functionality:D

Personally for now its blackberry all the way!

Most of my friends are switching to BB too.

Push email is enough reason to stay.

If your one too try out apps all the time, then I can see the attraction to an iPhone....but again as im sure you know, the BB; although not so glamorous has their own app store. But one thing I find with theses app stores, is most of the stuff on them are useless novelty crap... and I'm guessing its the same for the iPhone.

Ive tried out many 3rd party software and kept maybe a handful.

Games: I dont have the time to play games on a phone...

The ONLY benefit i see with an iPhone, as everyone has already mentioned it...is the Browser and being able to watch youtube. and even with that you can just use an iPod touch, which you say you have already.

By the way Curve 8900 user here. and at the end of the day its your choice.

20. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I didn't an old phone, so I decided to get the iPhone 3GS and that's what I bought today.

Thanks everyone; hopefully this phone will rock.

21. alent1234 macrumors 603

is there any major difference between blackberries? some are for secure environments and lack features, but it seems they are all 95% the same.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Had a 2G for 2 years and now a 3GS for a month, and I completely disagree. I find call quality very good and dropped calls very rare.

There are many comparisons of the Bold and the iphone on the web (some are of the iphone 3G and pre-OS 3.0, so check the dates).

I've gone on many rants on MR about the failings of blackberry (have to carry one for work), so I won't waste everyone's time doing it again. I'll just say that IMO, comparing a BB to a current gen smartphone (iphone, Pre, android) borders on the absurd. BB was a very innovative product in its time, but RIM has clung to its old ways (and it has many loyal fans who are right there with them in 2001) while Apple and others have moved light years beyond. (In fairness, what BB does have is excellent corporate security and management, so I don't blame corporate IT depts, including mine, for refusing to give them up.)

23. alent1234 macrumors 603

my iphone seems to be a lot better in call quality than my Sprint BB Curve 8330

24. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

They get better and have more features added over time. I know the Bold has AT&T 3G, WiFi, GPS, etc.; the 8900 lacks 3G, etc.

25. j5045096 Guest

I couldn't disagree with you more. My call quality on the iPhone 3G and now 3GS has been stellar. Yes, there are dropped calls but that is AT&T. My wife has an LG Shine on AT&T and that thing drops twice as many calls and has 0 bars in places of our house where my iPhone has 5. Call clarity has been awesome for me - I'm very nitpicky about that stuff too. The first time I bought a phone on Verizon I spent 2 hours in a retail store and made multiple calls out on every single phone they had, asking people I called how I sounded; if they could tell I was on a cell phone etc. The iPhone has been stellar as a phone. Maybe not the first iPhone but I never owned one of those, but the 3G and 3GS are awesome. ...oh and they don't feel cheap to hold like the Blackberry's do.

And yes, I'm biased.