Lot of problems with my iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BoneDaddy, Oct 7, 2015.

?

Loyal users only: Has Apple's QC and hardware/software stability taken a dive?

1. Yes. Things are getting pretty bad.

29.8%
  2. No. Bad Apples here and there, but mostly the same.

70.2%
  1. BoneDaddy, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

iPhone 6S Plus to be specific.

Ok, I hate the Apple bashing threads and I know people get duds. But MAN, all of the problems people are reporting is really a sad thing. My iPhone 4 was tough and never had any kind of issues. This new 6S plus is already giving me enough issues to have to replace it. I'm simply not sure which are hardware, and which are software.

Here are the problems.

1.Freezing to have to reboot.
    2.Screen will not rotate unless I reboot.
    3.Sound will not rebound. If I turn it down all the way, and then turn it back up all of the way, it will not come back until I reboot.
    4.If I plug in my headphones, the sound will not come back to the phone, once unplugged. I have to reboot.
    5.Top by the ear piece gets very very hot.
    6.Battery dropping from 90% +, to 30s within 2 hours.
    7.Hangs up on callers when I answer the phone.
    9.Can not complete the call half of the time. I have to call 2 or three times to get it to go through.
    10.Touch function suddenly stops working until I leave the app and close it.

I can not believe the amount of problems this phone has. I understand it could just be a dud, but I've researched all of these problems and they seem to be effecting a lot of other users. What is with Apple lately? My Wife's iPhone 5 had a bunch of problems. My new Retina Macbook Pro had problems. From my Powerbook G4 and iMac G5 all the way up to my 2010 Macbook Pro, I've never had one single issue. From my first iPod, to my iPhone 3g, up to my iPhone 4, no issues at all.

New iPad mini, issues. New Macbook Pro Retina, issues. iPhone 5, issues. New iPod touch, issues. New 6S plus, ridiculous amount of issues.

When Steve Jobs died, the first thing I said was "Apple died with him". I know they're still making money and breaking records, but it's not the same, or so it seems.

I hate these threads and never expected to become so disappointed and impatient with Apple, that I would make one. But it appears as though I am not the only one who's been a life long user, and suddenly am having tons of problems. No way in hell I'm going to Android or Windows phones. So I guess I just have to deal with it.

2. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I feel like the "problem threads" are greatly reduced over last year...

4. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Hm. Didn't notice.

5. ACURA2015 macrumors regular

That final touch of quality is no longer there, the only other thing I can think about is that they are rushing to complete things and just make the sale and break record numbers, I had to return both my pre-order phones, they both had lint material under the screen and mine had 3 burnt pixels and my wife had 5 burnt pixels, that is totally unacceptable as I cannot remember the previous iPhones I've owned having these types of issues and concerns. It's no longer about quality is now quantity what they care about and making the numbers, it's sad but true. iOS 9 is another disaster in the making from what I've read, so I guess the good old top quality finishes are no longer an important thing for Apple.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I can only speak from personal experience, but the only devices I've had an issue with were a 3GS (cracked back) and a 4S (DOA) - both of which were produced while Steve Jobs was very much at the helm of Apple.

I didn't blame him for the problems then and I wouldn't blame his absence as being the cause of any issues I may get in the future.

My view is Apple are still making great products and are still "Apple"

7. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Wow, that's terrible. I agree. Seems to be all rushed crap. Hope this changes.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I think there may be a situation with people that have problems tend to gravitate towards the threads with problems. You don't have issues, you're probably not seeking out threads like this one.

In interested to see the results of the poll. :)

9. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

I would agree but my experience id different. I like to look into threads to see what problems people are having. I usually jump to Apple's defense when people make it about Apple i stead of just a bad product here and there. But I'm slowly starting to have issue after issue and am starting to think maybe it IS an Apple problem.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Sounds like bad luck on you, mate. I've never had one issue with an Apple device and I've been buying them since 2005.

11. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Me neither, until the newer products in the last two years.

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

iPhone 5 was in 2012.

13. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

not a single issue with my 6s plus. you guys just aint livin right

14. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Yes, I know. That was the first one wish issues but it was nothing big enough to make her want to return it. The big issues all occurred with products from the last two years. Mostly with 2014 and up though. Like it's getting exponentially worse. The threads have become more common and there are more people reporting the same issues.

15. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Haha. Well when I get my replacement, I'll try and live right.

16. sumiregusa macrumors regular

sumiregusa

Yeah wasn't that antenna fiasco under Steve and he told people "you're holding it wrong"??

No Apple apologist here but I can count on one hand the number of issues I've had since I bought my 2nd gen color iPod. The company isn't perfect and neither are their gadgets, judging by the OP's and others' experience, but their customer service is on point. If they screw up, it's been my view that they're always eager to fix it.

Typing this from my 6S Plus from Launch Day right now actually. Love this phone completely. I honestly think consumer experience is always varied. Maybe Apple is "slipping" after SJ. Just hasn't been a problem for me.

17. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Yes, the customer service is fantastic.

18. ct1211 macrumors 6502

Lets all consider who is building these high-end devices and give them a break... Think back to when you were 12, could you have assembled iPhones for 12 hours a day when you were that age and done so without making a mistake?

19. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Are you saying children are assembling our devices?

20. ACURA2015 macrumors regular

I sure hope that is not the case that children are assembling these Apple devices, but I sure hope they do improve on the quality of the finished job not just rush to completion and break records, if you read these threads its not just 1 or 2 people complaining about the issues, is lots of people in general just glance through and read, all from phones becoming warmer then usual, from home bottom getting extremely hot, lint, devices constantly freezing up, not responding, scratches, some have even reported missing parts like headphones or lightning cables not being packed inside the box. Its horrible and we are all paying a substantial amount of money for these new devices.

21. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

For those companies, it is simply possible.

22. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I think Apple probably have reduce the quality standard to improve production yield...

iPhone 5S: "black rubber" mark around the TouchID when depressed right out of the box
    iPhone 6: selfie camera shifted (crescentgate), replaced the screen while under warranty and the screen had a crack underneath
    iPhone 6S: haven't bought one yet, but at least 1/3 of the units displayed in AppleStore auto-shutoff and had to be hard-rebooted

23. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

In my fairly extensive time on this forum, I have seen these types of threads less and less; not more and more as you imply.

That said, no company is perfect. Look at all of the problems Android is having with Stagefright right now. They don't even have a plausible fix for the 95% of affected devices because each OEM reprograms the latest Google OS to suit their device, then each carrier has their approval process and changes they like.

Working in the automotive industry, we look at research figures all of the time. Yes, the total number of vehicles on the road is finally increasing again thanks to a slightly rebounding US economy, which when the Recession was in full swing(2008-2010), the number of vehicles on the road decreased vastly because people weren't buying new cars, and the Federal government practically gave hundreds of millions(if not billions) of dollars away during the Cash for Clunkers program.

Using this VIO(Vehicles in Operation, based on registration from each county from each State) data, we in the Automotive Aftermarket know that the general failure rate of newer vehicles' transmissions has also been cut in half, down to ONE percent from TWO percent directly from the factory. This is based on several R&D companies across our industry.

All of this in mind, you can compare the two different industries from Apple's perspective in that their general failure rate whether through software or hardware is around 0.5%. When producing hundreds of millions of units, however, that means there are still going to be a fair amount of people experiencing problems. We see the over-hype of the problems due to the nature of this forum and the media blowing it completely out of proportion.

24. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

Sounds like you got a pretty seriously faulty device, it happens. Return and replace, hopefully your next one will be better.

The problem is with forums that it's very rare people will flock to them to share praise. Generally they're used by people passionate about a product or people who have had issues and want to vent, moan or resolve an issue. Unfortunately praise threads serve no real purpose but I'm sure the amount of people who are happy outweighs those with problems.

Presuming the phones are still produced by FoxConn; supposedly the workers will all be 16, although they've been known to have 14 year olds working on an "internship". I'm never going to defend them though, morale is constantly reported as rock bottom and that's probably why you can't expect top notch quality 100% of the time.

25. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

1.Freezing to have to reboot.
    Never happened

2.Screen will not rotate unless I reboot.
    Never happened

3.Sound will not rebound. If I turn it down all the way, and then turn it back up all of the way, it will not come back until I reboot.
    Never happened

4.If I plug in my headphones, the sound will not come back to the phone, once unplugged. I have to reboot.
    Haven't used headphones yet.

5.Top by the ear piece gets very very hot.
    Mine felt warm near the front camera, but not an issue to me.

6.Battery dropping from 90% +, to 30s within 2 hours.
    I'm sorry to hear you have a Samsung unit. There's one serious problem you do have.

7.Hangs up on callers when I answer the phone.
    Never happened.

9.Can not complete the call half of the time. I have to call 2 or three times to get it to go through.
    Never happened.

10.Touch function suddenly stops working until I leave the app and close it.
    Never happened.

Sounds like you got a dud and yes other duds (samsungs) have issues. I'm sorry for the trouble its causing you but it sounds more isolated to you rather than the majority.