LOTR Trilogy or Batman Trilogy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by The.316, Jul 22, 2012.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Out of the two, which one do you guys, and gals, think was the best? I have not seen The Dark Knight Rises yet, but Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were two of my favorite action films, and as much as I enjoyed the LOTRs trilogy, and could watch them anytime, I think the Batman trilogy is the best, and IMO, the best of them all. Im sure a lot of people will go with the Matrix trilogy as the best, but Im not as big of a fan, compared to LOTR and Batman.

2. 184550 Guest

I've never been one for fantasy in the vein of the LOTR trilogy.

I really enjoyed the dark, emotional nature of Nolan's take on Batman. So I'd vote Batman trilogy.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No question for me, I prefer LOTR
    But they are very different, so not really a comparison of films

4. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

LOTR. I could (and have) watch it many times and still be interested. After I watch a Batman movie once, I have no desire to see it again.

5. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I couldn't get into the LOTR trilogy, especially after watching The Two Towers. That movie was so long and dreadful for me, but I watched that film years ago so I can't remember what I disliked about it. Nevertheless, didn't enjoy the series.

The Batman trilogy on the other hand has always been entertaining.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Matrix Trilogy??? Hell no, aside from the first one, the second 2, especially the 3rd sucked. I would have to go with Batman trilogy, but honestly it all depends on which genre you like better. Being a kid who read batman comics and watched a lot of Batman cartoons I have to go with batman.

Others who have read the LOTR books will obviously go with that trilogy. Either way both were great trilogies, but 2 different genres.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agree on your assessment of the Matrix

I grew up reading the old Batman comics
    And I have read LOTRs more than twice :)

The Batman movies were very good (still waiting to see Dark Knight Rises)
    But the LOTR films were epics

Can't wait to see the 2 parts of the Hobbit starting this December

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises yet and I totally adore the previous 2... but Lord of the Rings. It's probably my favourite film (I count them+books as one big long singular story).

There's something so grand about LOTR. It's like, the greatest story ever told™.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I liked them both, but for me its no contest - Lord of the Rings. I own the extended version of each of the LOTR movies. Like MacDawg I can't wait to see The Hobbit in December.

10. Fed macrumors 6502

Batman, definitely.

I've been following Nolan since Memento and find his films so utterly captivating and gripping to watch. It also takes a lot for me to watch a film for a second time, especially when they're as long as Nolan's Batman films, yet I'll happily replay and enjoy them just as much as the first time. Cracking films.

Edit: Another thing worth mentioning is that I usually dislike Superhero films. So Nolan's redefining of the genre is definitely something he deserves credit for. He essentially took a Superhero character, filled it with a grand and darkly complex story, rammed it full of Michael Mann level action sequences and gave us some hilariously funny and awesome actors to boot. Throw in Michael Cain and IMAX film and it's a game changer.

11. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Which do you all think is better: oranges, or roller coasters?

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

13. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well said. I'm a Nolan fan as well. He has not made a movie that's not worth watching. For me, Inception is one of the greatest, if not the greatest movie of all time. I still can't get over the creativity, the directing, soundtrack and amazing ending to that movie. Watched it well over 10+ times.

Genius director.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

LOTR all day long. You could watch them in 10 or 20 years and they won't have aged to bad. Although I enjoyed the first 2 Batman films and I am seeing the new one Thusday. Trouble is like Superman and Spiderman before they keep rehashing them.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE! :mad:

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

LOTR for sure. there just really no comparing them but LOTR is certainly one of the best and most complete trilogies that has been put together.

17. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It's a little unfair to compare them. LOTR simply translated a series of books to the big screen (albeit beautifully and incredibly well put together). Nolans trilogy had a lot more work put into it before it even started. It was a complete reimagining of Batmans universe in the most realistic way possible, while still trying to keep the magic of the comic book story where it could.

As a trilogy, I'd say LOTR is the winner, but I feel The Dark Knight stands above any single LOTR movie.

18. ender land macrumors 6502a

The Sam/Frodo stuff in all the last two movies (as well as the ent stuff in Two Towers) of the LoTR trilogy really make it hard for me to enjoy watching them all the way through.

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

They are really two completely different movie series with dissimilar stories. I don't see a good way to compare them. For example if you take special effects alone, LOTR beats Batman completely into the dirt. I'm not saying that is fair. ;) I have enjoyed both series, but if you absolutely made me pick one, it would be LOTR.

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

LOTR for me too. Its a much more massive story with a lot more characters as well as subtlties to the stories.

I actually didn't like any of the Christopher Nolan batmans except for Dark Knight Rises which I thought was FANTASTIC. I really expected to go in and not like it.

22. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

I'd agree with the epic and grand vistas. But then I am biased as I live in the town and in the country that it was set in. *pause for waving NZ flags* And I have read everything that JRRT wrote.

KGB:cool: