lots of disappointment on day 1

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by hoon2999, Apr 29, 2015.

1. hoon2999 macrumors regular

ok. i finally received my Apple Watch 42mm SG BSB on Tuesday.
    its a decent looking watch with decent functionality but im already encountered with several problems. so posting here so that new buyers can take it as grain of salts.

1. iPhone's Apple Pay Credit cards and Apple Watch's Apple Pay CC are used differently. When you sync your watch to your iphone, you expect it to get all the CC stored in my passbook to transfer. nope. you have to authorize them again. it doesnt consume too much time but i kinda bogged my head when i saw them. Plus i am very concerned about the security of storing CC on my Apple Watch. i mean with the iphone, atleast it needs your fingerprint to verify the card owner whenever you pay. With the stolen Apple Watch, you dont. yes you can setup passcode that automatically locks up when you took the watch off but still, fingerprint is alot more secured than just putting 4 digits passcode.

2. Charging speed is super slow. Well, you cant really expect too much from tiny device like this watch and its magnetic charger. My watch went down to 40% after work so i decided to charge them before i go out for house party. Plugged it into 45watt 5 ports Anker charger which charges my iPad Air 2 with full speeds. After 1.5 hours, it was 65%. Seriously?? So you'll need 6 hours to fully charge from 0 to 100?? i can already see myself putting my watch on charger at work because i forgot to charge it overnight. and its gonna take forever.

3. some portable external battery bank wont work. i own Anker Astro E5 16000mah External Battery(http://amzn.com/B00N2T7U90) which has functionality of auto-turnoff when it does not detect any device connected to the USB port. auto-turnoff is a must since it prevents batteries to drain out by itself and dies. But this magnet charger, does not sync any data or output connectivity through USB. Which makes the batteries to turnoff by itself. I tried couple of my friends' external batteries from variety brands but no luck. Some companies are making exclusive portable charger for Apple Watch but it really sucks that you have to carry another battery bank when Anker ones can charge iPad, iPhone, and my bluetooth headphones just fine.

ok im done with rants. To be honest, its a beautiful piece of gadget. And it has great potential to do more things. But just like every online reviewers said. its first gen. and you can easily spot many problems software-side and hardware-side. i can already see myself stressing out to take them off and on to charge it frequently. i would try to avoid buying one unless you have spare money to throw. or just buy two of them so you can switch it around..

2. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

2. the watch should fully charge in nearly 2 hours. try the original charger?

3. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

Also, apple pay de-authenticates whenever the watch leaves your wrist. (Not having one, l can't remember how it re-authenticates.)

So unless someone takes your forearm with them, I think it's supposed to be pretty secure.

4. hoon2999 thread starter macrumors regular

you sure it only takes 2 hours to fully charge? i didnt try original charger though. because they shipped with those tiny one that only output 5watts. i usually use anker charger since it has enough wattage to charge multiple iDevices at full speed. ill try the original ones tonight but i doubt it'll be any better.

5. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

Apple has said it never stores CC info on your iPhone/ApplePay so why would it be able to copy that info over to your watch?

Again no CC info is store on the watch, also you must be within range (0-30feet) of your iPhone for ApplePay on your Watch to work.

If your AppleWatch has ApplePay active on it and they watch is stolen...1. the user will need a passcode to unlock the watch 2. the user will need your iPhone to be within 0-30 feet range for ApplePay to work.

There is really know concern about ApplePay once you understand how it works and how AppleWatch works as well.

6. hoon2999 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats incorrect. All you need is the passcode once you take the watch off from your wrist. I just tried and i was able to access Apply Pay even without wearing them.

7. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

1) Apple pay is just as secure on your watch as your phone. Credit card details are never stored, only the device account number, and whatever security exists on the device is only there to give you time to cancel the cards and/or remove device permissions via iCloud.com. If anything the watch is likely to be more secure as a) you're going to notice someone lifting it off your wrist while a phone can be plucked from a pocket relatively unnoticed and b) taking it off the wrist locks it whereas an unlocked iPhone pulled from a hand can be used as normal. As for reauthorizing credit cards, that's down to the banks as you're technically using a different device so they want to go through the process again.

2) Charging shouldn't take that long. Should be on 3 hours tops to do a 100% charge (and this is coming from someone who owns one). Silly thought but did you take off the protective plastic cover from the induction charger? Also try it with the Apple charger that came with it, if the problem's still there you may want to talk to Apple and see if it's a fault.

3) Sorry but third party hardware isn't a fault with the Watch. Is it frustrating? Yep, absolutely, but this is going to be a common problem as more and more devices use USB for inductive charging. Suspect newer models will address this but it's difficult to see how this is a problem that lands on Apple's shoulders.

8. hoon2999 thread starter macrumors regular

are you sure? because i heard differently under Apple's website.

Source: https://www.apple.com/watch/apple-pay/

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'm pretty sure you can bypass Touch ID on your iPhone for Apple Pay if you have the passcode. Nothing new here.

10. hoon2999 thread starter macrumors regular

yes i do understand. i was bit confused thinking that Apple Watch is suppose to become part of iPhone, like a support device for your iPhone. And expecting watch and the phone to sync every data including Apple Pay stuffs.

i believe i took off all the plastic wraps. ill definitely try original charger.

Yes it is not the problem on Apple-side. But i was hoping Apple to consider these kinds of issue while designing their charger. I mean other inductive/wireless charger does output a signal through USB if they detect any wireless device is charging on their mats. and its been working with these portable batteries i mentioned. But Apple Watch doesnt work...which is bummer :(

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Apple has said differently than your statements.

Check out https://www.apple.com/watch/apple-pay/

12. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

13. H3rman macrumors 6502

Just a 4-digit passcode? You mean like the 4-digit pin number your bank gives you to use at the cash point? A system which was worked pretty well for many, many years, providing you don't tell anyone what your passcode is.

14. leenak macrumors 68020

This is a bit of a fallacy. Fingerprint scanners are faked much easier than a 4 digit passcode. The fingerprint scanner is for ease of use, not for increased security.

15. shawnjcullen macrumors member

Pass code

Of course if you wish you can have a longer pass code than four figures. Just go to the Apple Watch App.

16. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

This intrigues me - I thought the only way they had faked the fingerprint scanner (so far) was by taking a relief of the person's finger, pouring a mold and so on with the right capacitive material, etc. That's not something that could be done in just any situation. 4 digit passcodes on the other hand are very insecure in the world of computing (10,000 combos instead of millions of billions). ATMs are ok because the machine will eat your card after a number of failed inputs, and I assume something similar would happen on the watch, but still.

17. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Are you sure #2 is correct? Here is an article that seems to discount that: http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-watch-without-your-iphone/

18. leenak macrumors 68020

You can do it with scotch tape and a phone from things I've read in the past. This is an article from Arstechnica on how to do it professionally, basically it says all you need is the phone because it most likely has a good fingerprint to lift. But again the phone switches to the passcode after failed attempts but fingerprint scanners are considered light authentication when it comes to biometrics.
    http://arstechnica.com/security/201...ols-iphone-6-touch-id-why-its-not-so-serious/

19. Beechy macrumors member

Beechy

1) You can use a complex password on Apple Watch. And then choose to unlock your Apple Watch with the Touch ID on your iPhone. This makes your watch as secure as your iPhone.

2) Use the original charger. Mine takes just over 2 hours for a 100% charge.

3) I havent tried any external battery packs... But my wife has an EE Powerbank, so i may try that later.

20. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

It has been roughly covered but the reason your watch and phone don't share ApplePay is simply because the device ID's are different. Its a nice thing post 5 here is incorrect. Not having my phone with me and still being able to pay is fantastic. If that were not an option users with iPhone 5/c/s would not be able to use AP as they are now with the watch. Its not dependent on the phone.

I have an 8 digit pass-code on my watch. I unlock with my iPhone after putting the watch on, all works fantastic.

Last, your credit card info is not stored on either of your devices. You enter your card details, AP verifies with your bank and lets them know your device ID then drops all but the last 4 digits. Each transaction with AP going forward is using the device ID and a one time token that is passed from the point of sale to your bank for transaction approval. If the info is captured and picked up later through a hack its useless. I try to pay with AP everywhere I can. Not for convenience (it is) but for security.

21. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

If these are your biggest concerns after Day 1, I'm excited to get mine even more now end of next month.

Charging is a moot point for me. I'll be taking it off when I go to sleep at 10pm and put it back on my person after I shower at 6:30am. If it takes 7 hours to charge even, no issue for me.

Also, like the other posters stated about Apple Pay. You do need a passcode. Only way this is an issue is if someone rips the watch off my wrist and puts a gun to my head asking for my passcode.

22. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

For some reason mine fell off the charger last night, that's a different concern for a different thread, so it was somewhere in the 30% range.

I have a 30 minute commute that turned into 45 minutes with traffic this morning. I plugged the charger into a USB cigarette lighter plug and it went from 30% to 94% in 45 minutes. Will last me all day.

23. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

Great article, thanks, it's not alarmist (TOUCH ID HACKED!) but it lays out the sensible cases that this could be an issue, and with fingerprints in general. I actually hadn't realized the 6's improved touch ID at all over the 5S. I'm glad they pointed out it's very difficult to get it within 5 tries. Not that anyone would think I'm a high enough value target to go through the trouble in the first place :)

24. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

#1 security

#2 &#3 use the charger that came with your device. Perhaps its slower or different on other charging devices. If I use a USB output on my computer to charge its slower as well.

25. AbsoluteMustard macrumors regular

3rd party chargers don't work properly. The contacts need to be aligned perfectly for the watch to charge correctly.