Lots of MR newbies are acting like jackasses. Can anything be done about them?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by motulist, Oct 28, 2007.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

There's nothing wrong with having lots of newbies around on the forums, in fact it's a great thing in many ways, we were all newbies once. Many of the newbies are respectful, friendly and interesting.

But it seems like a LOT of newbies here recently are acting like jackasses. For instance, they're starting threads that just complain about things they don't like about other people's comments in other threads in the forum, and they're posting personal attack replies all over the forums and adding nothing of value.

Perhaps the percentage of newbies that are loudmouths hasn't changed, but since the sheer number of newbies here seems to have gone up dramatically recently, the loudmouths are making a much bigger nuisance than they used to.

I click the Warn icon on lame comments and threads all the time, and usually the mods respond and take action eventually, but it seems like the moderators aren't able to keep up as well as they used to.

Is there anything else I can do to keep the forums healthy?

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

this was a particularly busy weekend and certainly the forums attract people who run into problems with Leopard or have other gripes to post to a forum.

I think the best thing is just to try to maintain quality posts and responses, especially to the "good" participants to strengthen the overall quality and keep the other new folk coming back.

Obviosuly, if someone is being abusive or insulting, report it, and we tend to have strict rules on that. The individuals who cause recurring problems usually are being watched closely by the mods.

arn

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Thanks, that's good to hear.

I suppose it's a function of Apple's growing popularity, which is starting to cause an eternal september. Hopefully the mods and us long time users will be able to vigilantly welcome the influx of newbies as new valuable members of our community, and hopefully we wont get flooded out by a torrent of rude and trollish newbies.

Keep up the good work!

p.s. Just to clarify, I wasn't griping about newbies that post complaints about Leopard, quite the contrary, I was griping about newbies who are complaining about other people's comments that were negative about leopard. For instance, a couple of newbies are harping all over the forums that people should just shut up and stop talking about stacks causing a big problem for people that need hierarchical dock folder list pop ups. They're saying shut up, just send feedback to Apple if you don't like stacks and stop talking discussing it in the forums.