Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
The Loius Vuitton Cup began! (sort of)

Yacht racing was scheduled to start on Monday 16th of April, however there wasn't enough wind on the courses. I had a feeling that might happen and was dissapointed.

Anyway, there are 11 challengers fighting it out in two round robins of match racing, which finds the semi finalists and ultimately the winner of the Louis Vuitton Cup who will challenge the previous America's Cup winner Alinghi for the America's Cup.

The challengers are
BMW Oracle Racing (USA)
+39 Challenge (ITA)
Team Shosholoza (SA)
Emirates Team New Zealand (NZ)
Luna Rossa Challenge (ITA)
Areva Challenge (FRA)
Desafîo Espanõl 2007 (ESP)
Mascalzone Latino (ITA)
United Team Germany (GER)
China Team (CHN)​

Does anyone else have an interest in it or even know that its taking place?

Official Site

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
It got a lot more press here when the race was being run off San Diego. Now that it's far away, not so much.

Also, in the U.S., we noticed it more when we won every time. Now that we don't? Meh. :rolleyes:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I watched it back in the 80s when I was a little shaver...since then I've missed it. I haven't been sailing in over a year either, our 16' Wayfarer has been banished to dry land for a bit.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Sorry, it's tomorrow. The journalist arrived today, and we'll start tomorrow. :D

Photographer :rolleyes:

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Sorry, it's tomorrow. The journalist arrived today, and we'll start tomorrow. :D

Photographer :rolleyes:

Oh nice job. I haven't managed to find any nice widescreen ETNZ wallpaper, so my Mac isn't fully in the spirit of the event.

Low wind again over the courses and the Flight 3 races have been postponed:mad: I dont think there will be racing for some time if at all today.

Must catch some sleep.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
They shoulda held it off Newport this year. Plenty of wind this week. :rolleyes:

But really, bring it back home! (and I DON'T mean Sandy Eggo).

gotta win it first!

and, although they are a good team, i think the favorites are still Alinghi (swiss!!!!!) to defend it or (less) New Zealand and Luna Rossa to bring it home (theirs).
i'd like to see some live TV coverage (in the US)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
If BMW Oracle wins, it would go to SF since they're based there. What is with only one US team? Last time it was like 2-3 US teams. With BMW Oracle being one and Oneworld the other. There might of been a third. I agree with the more TV coverage of it. OLN( or Versus I think now) did it last time. Why aren't they doing it again!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I will be pissed off if ESPN doesn't cover the America's Cup this time around. They did last time. They better do it again. Sailing( IMHO) is the best sport. It is actually interesting to me at least. Maybe history will repeat itself in a way. We won the America's Cup originally in Europe( Britain). Maybe we will win it again in Europe this time around.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
To those of you that don't have coverage, you aren't missing much yet. Third day straight of race postponements.
:mad:

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Yep, no wind today. We could see the boats waiting from the shore... and coming back to harbor.

Tomorrow I'm on the photographers boat, so I really really hope there will be something more interesting to shoot than just a boat floating around... :rolleyes:

According to the forecast, the weather should remain stable until saturday or maybe even sunday. Tomorrow's when the media start to get mad...

Anyway... I'm going to bed. Wake me up if there's wind or a Mac Mini announcement. :D

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Fourth day in a row! :rolleyes:

Well, I get paid by the day, so for me in a certain way it's the same, but I'd really prefer to be able to get my job done... :(

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Well it doesn't look too good at the moment in Valencia for the fifth day straight. Roughly 1.5kts on the courses. Still theres time for it to improve over the day.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that Virtual Skipper 5 - America's Cup has been released (its a yachting game), sadly its Windows only but for you bootcampers out there. Check it out

http://www.virtualskipper-game.com/en/

thesnowman16

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
New Zealand
I find it a real kick in the ass that they didn't hold it here again because of "Bad wind" however how many races have we seen so far............NONE! Thats right! Almost a week in and not a single race because of bad wind, we didn't go a full week without racing. So I think whoever made the decision to take it over there should be shot! :mad:

Not that it matters, if there is no racing we will win by defult because we have the most points at the moment (Due to the bonis points carried over from the acts leading up to the Louis Vuitton cup).

However I'm conferdent we will have the cup back (Both cups) in New Zealand. We have been 4 years without it and it's time we got it back! :cool:

thesnowman16

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
New Zealand
gotta win it first!

and, although they are a good team, i think the favorites are still Alinghi (swiss!!!!!) to defend it or (less) New Zealand and Luna Rossa to bring it home (theirs).
i'd like to see some live TV coverage (in the US)

Err I think you will actauly find that New Zealand are the favs, after how we went in the acts, thrashing everyone..

Edit: I think I may have misread your post, but I still stand by new zealand being the favs, not to take the America's cup, but atleast the Louis Veitton. It's too early to tell who will take the REAL cup, but I would think that Alinghi would be tough to beat especaly after there proformance in the acts.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
first races and first upset!
I find it a real kick in the ass that they didn't hold it here again because of "Bad wind" ... ...So I think whoever made the decision to take it over there should be shot! :mad:
the wind had absolutely nothing to do with it.
it was alinghi's decision/right, so obviously they wouldn't race it in NZ. why would they want to favour their main rival? it would have been idiotic.
besides from a marketing/economic point of view, bringing it to europe was a no-brainer.

However I'm conferdent we will have the cup back (Both cups) in New Zealand. We have been 4 years without it and it's time we got it back! :cool:

Err I think you will actauly find that New Zealand are the favs, after how we went in the acts, thrashing everyone..

..uops! didn't trash ML today :D

Edit: I think I may have misread your post, but I still stand by new zealand being the favs, not to take the America's cup, but atleast the Louis Veitton. It's too early to tell who will take the REAL cup, but I would think that Alinghi would be tough to beat especaly after there proformance in the acts.
yes, i had said that alinghi are favourite for the america's cup, which i think is the consensus, but i agree that NZ were the pre-race favs for the vuitton cup (with LR and oracle close behind).
however, after today's race, the cup might be more interesting than it looked, especially with low wind conditions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.