Love - hate relationship

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MLO, Dec 14, 2008.

1. MLO macrumors member

Complaints:
    Apple is well known for having the best system for multi media
    , graphics and photographers, I know because I am two of the 3
    As for the iPhone why no flash player?
    Why the commercials for fast iPhone either Apple or At&t need to correct this
    Because the phone is no where even close to the commercial false advertisement

Please fix The facebook app. This is getting foolish on who ever
    needs to fix the problem.
    Sideways typing in text messaging and sending photos with text messaging.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'm sorry but I didn't get your point out of your post?

3. ex8886 macrumors member

I would have to agree . . .

But I'll try to respond your post best as I can. You probably knew that the iPhone was missing those functions before you bought it. Flash player can't be created over night, and it would use a whole lot of battery. There are some rumors that Adobe might be developing something for the iPhone. Yes, the commercials are misleading, the iPhone isn't that fast . . . but you should check out other commercials and compare (the BB Storm isn't as fast as in the commercial either). Apple has nothing to do with the facebook app, for that you'll need to contact facebook and complain to them. As far as landscape texting and MMS, you'll have to jailbreak to get those functions.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

funny enough, i just saw a commercial for pizza huts PANormous pizza where they actually SAY "so big youll never run out!"

Where are the swarms of angry people complaining about that false advertising?

And flash, I beleive thats mostly because flash is such a bloated and cycle intensive program that apple wants something with full functionality, but more effecient,

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Translation

Whine. Whine whine whine. Whine.

/Translation

6. MLO thread starter macrumors member

wow

I didn't understand my post either.
    I guess I am just whining and blowing off steam

I do however love the product

7. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

so do you actually belive that its possible to buy a pizza that will never run out?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Nope. But as EVERYONE in the thread about apples "lying" commercials said, it was a direct lie, and therefore should be sued.

I think its rediculous that ANYONE beleives a commercial 100%.

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

It all depend on whats being advertized. If sprint says its 3g network is twice as fast as verizons, then its not unreasonable to believe that it is.

10. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Your post made my day :p
    (yet I thought my brain was slow earlier)

11. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I don't know, but whoever offers it gets my love forever. Except Dominos or Peter Piper. Who needs cardboard with toppings forever? And not just one style. And not just one topping or cheeze. Crap, who wants just cheeze?

What if I decide I want different toppings?

I dunno. Maybe this is too confusing?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

and that ad was about the size of the pizza......

And the big hubub about the apple adds wasnt the network speed, it was the transitions speeds.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Plus if you really want to get technical about that dumb Pizza Hut pizza, it's actually two pizzas side by side so it really isn't the biggest pizza they have ever had.

Any ad on TV and radio can lie. There is no rule out there that says a commercial has to state the truth. If there were, there would probably be one half less the commercials there are now. There is even one radio commercial that states that their ad has to be true because they wouldn't be able to advertise on the radio if it weren't true, haha yeah right.

14. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: WTF are you smoking? Ever heard of False Advertising? It's definitely illegal. That's why those iPhone 3G adds have that "Sequence Shortened" disclaimer, because otherwise it's falsely advertising the speed of the phone.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'll have some of what you are smoking. As I said, if advertisers were forced to tell the truth in their ads, there would be hardly any commercials on TV. The advertisers aren't forced to prove that they aren't lying. All they have to do is have the money and they get the ad on TV.

16. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The problems the FaceBook app is having is no fault to Apple.
    The majority of the time when an app is having problems it's due to the developer(s).

17. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Right. That's why ads get banned for making untrue claims.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Then I guess they better go after Apple next. All of those iPhone commercials are false advertising. The car ads would have to be next. GM claims they have the best selling truck in America and wait a minute, so does Dodge and I think Toyota did as well. One of them is lying too.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

21. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Right. I forgot that the entire world is America, and in any discussion we're automatically talking about America, because nowhere else matters. :rolleyes:

And False Advertising is illegal in the United States. The FTC has an entire division dedicated to advertising practices. Or maybe you'd rather an example?

I haven't seen the ad in question, but from your description it sounds like one of those hyperboles that common sense dictates is false. IMO it's not false advertising if any reasonable person knows the claim is hyperbole, but opinions on that may differ. :)

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Why do you keep bringing up these links? Ok yes, there are laws. Regardless, we all know that we can't believe all the ads on TV. Those laws mean nothing.

Watch a few hours of TV tonight, Sunday a huge television viewing night. Tell me how many ads you actually believe are true.

23. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Right. The laws mean nothing. That's why the FTC enforces them! Why do I keep bringing up these links? Because some idiot claimed that "There is no rule out there that says a commercial has to state the truth." And because you keep saying "watch some TV, you'll see false advertising". Yeah? Prove it. I've given you enough proof that false advertising legislation exists, and examples of it in action. You've given zero evidence of false advertising on TV, only "watch TV and you'll see". That's not an argument.

I never argued that ads are not misleading, or that they're always true. I argued that there are laws in place against false advertising. That's all. You, for some reason, continue to argue that there are no laws, or that they mean nothing.

The fact of the matter is, there are laws, and they are enforced.

Let's talk about your GM vs. Dodge vs. Toyota ad, and assume all three claim that their product is the "Best Selling Truck in North America". That can easily be true. Maybe GM has the best-selling Quad Cab Full Size truck, and Dodge has the best selling Full Size truck, and Toyota has the best selling compact truck.

And I'll wager that all those ads carry a disclaimer in fine print that lays out the technicalities of the claim.

So no, I would never suggest that believing everything an ad says at face value is a good idea. But don't pretend that false advertising laws don't exist. :rolleyes:

24. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Nothing's perfect, and the iPhone is no different. There are a lot of pros and cons, but at the end of the day, I love my phone. :)

25. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Exactly. Its not unreasonable to believe those transitions are what one would expect on the iphone. If i didnt have an iphone myself, i would be like wow that phone is fast, i should maybe get one. The pizza commercial claim is so obviously unreasonable. The iphone claim was believable.