Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Right. The laws mean nothing. That's why the FTC enforces them! Why do I keep bringing up these links? Because some idiot claimed that "There is no rule out there that says a commercial has to state the truth." And because you keep saying "watch some TV, you'll see false advertising". Yeah? Prove it. I've given you enough proof that false advertising legislation exists, and examples of it in action. You've given zero evidence of false advertising on TV, only "watch TV and you'll see". That's not an argument.

I never argued that ads are not misleading, or that they're always true. I argued that there are laws in place against false advertising. That's all. You, for some reason, continue to argue that there are no laws, or that they mean nothing.

The fact of the matter is, there are laws, and they are enforced.

Let's talk about your GM vs. Dodge vs. Toyota ad, and assume all three claim that their product is the "Best Selling Truck in North America". That can easily be true. Maybe GM has the best-selling Quad Cab Full Size truck, and Dodge has the best selling Full Size truck, and Toyota has the best selling compact truck.

And I'll wager that all those ads carry a disclaimer in fine print that lays out the technicalities of the claim.

So no, I would never suggest that believing everything an ad says at face value is a good idea. But don't pretend that false advertising laws don't exist. :rolleyes:

True. Thats why a lot of ads have fine print.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.