Love My 6 Plus, But I'm Returning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Sep 26, 2014.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So I love my 6 Plus and the better screen and battery, but I will be returning.

The size isn't event that bad, but I'm just ok indecisive and notice I carry this phone around a lot at work due to it not being the easiest to place in my pocket.

My main concern, how does text on the 6 compare?

After comparing the Plus to my 5 I think the 5 looks terrible, I'm hoping I don't think the same thing once I get the 6. The PPI on the Plus is amazing, hope I haven't already gotten used to it.

2. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Keep the plus, you will not like the minus as much. Maybe change your type of shirts or wear cargos. Learning to adapt to something new always takes time.

However if you want to switch the minus is still a good phone.

3. matty1551 macrumors 6502

Well the 5 and 6 have the same PPI. The 6 Plus has a higher PPI but it's my understanding that PPI past a certain point is overkill and not really noticeable so I have to wonder if this "it's more clear" is simply based on the fact that you are looking at a larger screen and not based on the PPI itself.

Why not just go to the apple store and look at a display model before you decide?

4. rhylin macrumors member

If i had to change my lifestyle over a phone, I'd be in the looney bin a long time ago, but you're really serious about this lol

5. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Switching from a 6+ to a 6 myself, it's a great phone but too large for my needs, thus, a 6. I would keep it but I didn't have a good use for it when on my bicycle, and it was more so carrying it around when not being used that got in the way. When the 6+ screen is lit and running, that's when you don't care about the size. But when you have work laptop, tablet, phone AND the 6+... It's a bit much.

6. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

however there are like 2830293829 threads already on those who got the 6 Plus returned for a regular 6 that addressed OP's question.

7. ghsNick, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I just hope the text looks as crisp as the 6 Plus. You're right though, when the screen is on I love it. But when I literally hold it in my hand carrying it everywhere I'm not the biggest fan.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Just out of curiosity, I remember you mentioning that you have had to replace your phone due to yellow screen. Did you replace your phone through the Genius bar where they gave you a replacement unit or did you go through the return/exchange route?

I've heard that once you do a replacement unit through the Genius bar you can't return the phone. I talked to one of the Apple reps and that's what I was told. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

9. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Text won't look as crisp. It's just not as sharp as the 6 Plus.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is no such thing as an iPhone minus. No matter which way you spin it. ;)

I'm with this guy...don't change your lifestyle for a phone. It's a phone...just a phone.

11. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Im not sure if that's true but I'm within my return window. They can't force me to keep a phone if there was a defect in it on their end.

12. Cojm macrumors member

They will have issues, the serial on the phone has to match the serial on the box. if you had a device swap they wont match

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well that's what I got from the Genius couple days ago. I went in to see what can be done because my 6 Plus has a paint defect underneath the glass on the edge of the phone near the headphone jack.

I was told that if I did the replacement route that I am not able to return the device even if it was within 14 day window period. So I opted not to replace my phone and I can deal with this minor defect since it's just cosmetic and not the screen itself so I'm just going to keep this phone. Plus I am waiting on my case that I ordered so I'm sure that will cover some of it.

I guess it's best to just go and find out. I know that some Apple rep does not check the serial number and I know some that does. But somehow they would know because they scan it and i'm sure it shows up on their system that the original one was replaced.

14. legioxi macrumors 6502a

I have 20/20 and the text is identical on both phones when comparing the same app (iBook). I put them side by side at normal distance and I put them up in my face. I couldn't discern any difference in text.

However I use sepia for my reading color and on the plus it is more vibrant or deeper in yellow vs the normal 6 which looks faded next to the plus. I only noticed it in iBook with sepia background though.

15. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

That would be awful. I was never informed I couldn't do the exchange if I took the replacement.

I can't see why that would void the return process. I have he paperwork showing the switch. I'll let you guys know.

16. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

You must be one of the few people in the world who has super magna-vision.

The whole point of a 'retina display' is that after a certain pixel density threshold, the human eye cannot discern individual pixels - especially 326ppi versus 401ppi. Text should look just as 'sharp' on a 6 compared to a 6 Plus.

17. arliu macrumors regular

18. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Curious about this too. I remember when I first bought the iPad retina i ended up having to get it swapped for an uneven screen. They wouldn't refund me when I decided I couldn't live with it. They explained the serial numbers don't match.

19. Fredo C macrumors member

You're fooling yourself. Put them next to each other and to the average eye the 6+ looks better. This is consistent with all of the professional reviews, many of which say the 6+ has the best smartphone screen ever.

20. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I have both devices. Love the small form factor of the 6. But to be honest if I keep that it doesn't feel like an upgrade. It will be the some boring small upgrade. I wanted to like iOS again. I fact I'm back in love with it. The plus gave me a new way of looking at it. I'm looking forward to see what the apps can do to the plus. It's a trade off going to a larger screen, but I feel it will be worth it. If not there is always a demand for iPhones. I can always sell it and get something much smaller. But right now I'm still in the keeping the plus corner.

21. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Where do they state this in their policy? I have the paperwork showing the old serial number to the new one. Nowhere does it state that after I replace a phone due to manufacturing errors that I therefore void my 14 day return policy.

22. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

It might just be my rep who didn't know what he was talking about. Regardless, I do recommend you go to the store to try to see what the actual policy states. I was pretty upset when I was stuck with a device I really didnt want anymore.

----------

Nick,

Found this thread from the iphone 5 days. Hope this helps

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1479620

Not sure if it'll still apply.

23. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I was in a co-workers office yesterday and she saw my 6 Plus. She said it was beautiful and then I noticed her iphone. I asked aren't you going to upgrade from your 4? She said no, that's the 5S..:eek:

It's amazing how having this phone makes the previous versions seem so obsolete. I couldn't believe my eyes.

24. legioxi macrumors 6502a

I have both, they're next to each other running an app designed for the new sizes (iBooks). The text is identical at reading distance and up close in my face.

I have not bothered checking with apps that haven't been changed for the new displays. Those will look different on each as they're being resized to different resolutions.