All iPads Love My Air! Mini vs. Air - Think Twice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nostresshere, Nov 1, 2013.

1. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Just got my new Ipad Air. Amazing tablet! Speed - whew!

Okay, I came from an Ipad-First Gen. I have spent a little time with my grandaughters mini and sort of liked it and considered it just a little, but really wanted to extra screen size.

Now that I have the Air, it feels like a slightly larger mini. One hand seems to work. Only had it for an hour, but so far I am amazed.

One of the apps that was a bit slow, but usable on the Ipad-1 was NEXT ISSUE. This downloads magazines. With the Air - everything comes up almost instant. No testing, but the wifi seems much faster as well.

I am amazed.

2. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Glad you're happy. Coming from an iPad 1, the difference will be huge.

3. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I am glad you are enjoying it. I think it is great and do not mind its size and weight being use to the Mini. Time will tell how others feel but I say at least give it a go for those folks on the fence.

4. randymac88 macrumors regular

I just came from the apple store where I wanted to be "wowed" by the iPad Air. I currently have a "the new iPad with Retina" which is I guess the 3rd generation.

It's still iOS7.

Its lighter, but its the same thing - the same icons, the same animations, when I open an app, it opens. The music sounds the same, the websites I pull up look the same.

I question whether it's going to be as durable as my The New iPad with Retina Display.

I didn't buy it. I still want it but I can't bring myself to dropping the ~$800 just for a thinner case and lighter weight. Speed differences might be there, but we're really talking in milliseconds, and that's not worth it to me.

I'm sad.

5. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I have an Air but thinking of returning it. It's a bit awkward to use compared to the Mini I have.

I have a MacBook Air for bigger stuff at home and the Mini is best for portability. So I think I'll go for the Mini retina.

6. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Can you please take a few photos of your current mini vs. the air? A photo I particuly am looking for is the mini over (on top) the air. Really trying to compare sceens.

7. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Keep your receipt. Once you see the retina mini for $100 cheaper and read the reviews you may have a change of mind; most of you will have a change of mind.

8. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I was missing the bigger screen on the previous iPads so Im thrilled. I may still get a mini in addition to my air but I dont feel as compelled to now.

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Sorry I have my own mind and want the bigger screen. I won't be exchanging mine for a mini.

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I agree. I had the iPad mini for a year and loved it, but found the text and software elements on screen to be just a bit too small since it's running at the same resolution but on a smaller sized screen. The iPad Air resolves that issue for me and yet is now almost as small & light as the mini is. The Air is the best of both worlds for me anyway.

11. lls4f macrumors regular

Really quick from phone, but here you go.

12. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Agreed. I need the larger screen AND the lighter weight.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Very helpful. Can you also take a pic with the corners aligned? Thanks! :)

14. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

15. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

16. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

getting mine for comics and that is really the issue with the mini, no optimization on the apps , they are apps designed for the larger ipad just shrunk down, so test and areas to tap are sometimes out of whack

17. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

Sell your other iPad

18. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I want the retina mini, but I keep reading these threads and because I like shiny new toys I've been trying to decide about picking up the air just to see if I like it. This pic just solidified my decision for the mini. Thanks.

19. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

That pick does say it all. The screen really is not that much different but the length of the Air is very Microsoft Surfacy long which is tough to look at. I prefer the more squareness of my ipad 3.

But also why i'm getting the mini retina

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

A slight distraction at first but noticeable though. Nothing now as I continue to us it to tell the truth.

21. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I started a thread saying I wished they'd shaved a few mm from the top and bottom of the Air as I thought it looked too tall. Unfortunately that was met with questionable responses.

Now having the Air in hand, I stand by my opinion.

22. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Yeah I agree. I only held it briefly but the height threw me off right away. Perhaps it makes watching certain videos better in landscape but I'm usually always in portrait and it was a little distracting.

23. guzzlamiamor macrumors member

I had an IP1, then got the mini, and just got the air. So this is my first experience with a retina display of this size. It is simply stunning, however I have noticed that only about half of the apps I have installed are optimized for it. They ranged from horrible (Jetpack Joyride), to jaggy/fuzzy (Yggdrasil), to not bad, but actually not as good as the mini (World of Goo). I have only installed a dozen or so and some of them are really great (Pandemic the board game comes to mind). Hopefully more than half of my 300+ apps are going to be fully optimized, or I will consider this somewhat of a disappointment. It gives me a reason to keep the mini around if nothing else.

24. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

LOL

Not everybody cares that much about price, and I know that I want a bigger screen since I've used an iPad Mini many times and thought the screen was too small.

25. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I sold my mini to get the Air sight unseen. I am not regretting it. Although its heavier than the Mini I can comfortable hold the Air with one hand for a while. I needed to give my content room to breathe and the Air does that.

The Making of Star Wars iBook looks fabulous on the Air.