Love the dictation feature!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Indigovalley, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Indigovalley macrumors member

Indigovalley

If you haven't played with the dictation feature yet it's a blast. You can just speak the name of a website and it will find it for you. In Keynote you can dictate all your text--same on pages.

As a teacher the dictation feature will allow me to make Keynote presentations much faster as I am slow at typing on the iPad. It's lots of fun and has applications for students with typing/writing issues as well.

Only wish they had included SIRI with it--I really could have used that day to day as well...

2. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I've only used it a handful of times so far and the results, at least with my experience, have left much to be desired. I hope it improves in the future. However, it could just be my voice.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've never used it. I'll turn it on later to try it.

4. Indigovalley thread starter macrumors member

Indigovalley

When I have used it the feature has been pretty accurate with an occasional error. I make a point to speak clearly and distinctly. I'm sure some voices might work better than others. The surrounding room noise may make a difference also.

5. taedouni macrumors 65816

I have not used dictation as much as I would have liked to, but when I did I was fairly impressed.

6. rdiz17 macrumors member

I keep forgetting the mic is on the top, so I talk to the bottom like I would with my phone. Once I started speaking at the mic it works like a charm.

7. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Works really well, even better then Siri on my 4S

8. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

When I go to the website bar to type in a URL, I do not see that dictation button showing at that time. Does anyone else have this problem?

9. laurenr macrumors 6502a

My dictation feature does not understand my South African accent at all.:(

10. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

You're right, it does not show up in the address bar. However, it does show up in the Google search bar next to it.

11. epi117 macrumors 6502

Been using the iPad to check my work email just so I can dictate a response working so great

12. stephg macrumors member

stephg

Okay, stupid question, but how do I activate or make this work?

13. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

I'm loving mine, too! I've updated Facebook, sent an email, searched the Internet, and I'm dictating this entry!

14. cadillac1234 macrumors regular

Nobody understands the South African accent :D

15. stephg macrumors member

stephg

Okay, never mind, I figured it out myself. I actually read the manual, and I am using dictation to type this. I don't know how often I would use this, but it's pretty cool to play with.

16. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Tell me about it! I married a Yankee, moved to California, and people look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language! The accent is similar to a British one, so one would think it would be crystal clear...........not!:p In a different thread here, when I tested it, I got some hilarious results, for eg, it interpreted "at all" as "*******". :mad: Sheesh!

17. RickG macrumors regular

dictation so far has worked pretty well- the camera's really disapointing, I read somewhere that the camera's are two year old components and that is disapointing- the camera quality in this ipad 3 is not acceptable in my opinion-apple's supposed to be the audio visual guru but I will guess the next one will see a big improvement !!!

18. number84 macrumors 6502

Go to settings and keyboard you'll see the option there to turn it on.

19. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it did work in the brief time I have used it. Bonus feature!

20. borka105 macrumors newbie

How do you go to the next line?

Do you know other such commands?

21. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

I have had this feature on my Android phones for years. Glad they finally put it on the iPad.

22. Actual Size macrumors member

Someone said you say: "New Line" & "New Paragraph"

23. astral125 macrumors 6502

I am trying it now.
    This works.

24. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

can anyone figure out how to capitalize the first word of the first sentence?
    Subsequenct lines are capitalized automatically.
    I tried saying "cap" before the first word but that seems to only work when you're in a sentence.