iPad mini Love the mini--a couple annoyances..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Indigovalley, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Indigovalley macrumors member

Indigovalley

I sold my iPad 3 to get the iPad Mini and overall I just love it. I like the lighter weight, the portability, and the general form factor. I find I can type faster on it using my thumbs. I think it's perfect for travel. Mine arrived with a great, sharp screen and no scratches to the aluminum. I got the black/slate model (32 GB).

Annoyances--and maybe others of you are/are not experiencing these?

1. For whatever reason I get more fingerprints on the screen than on the larger iPad 3 I owned. Does it have a different coating on the glass (or less coating)?

2. The screen does not seem as responsive. I don't know if it's a problem with my unit, with the smaller size (on-screen buttons are smaller for your finger to hit) or if it's just the way the touch screen is configured but I find I sometimes have to tap things more than once to get them to respond. This is annoying when trying to clear a previous search in the App store.

3. It is slower to start up apps (I expected that due to the older processor) but I have experienced several crashes of apps as well. Is that due to the older processor or amount of ram?

4. The stereo speakers are nice but no match for the very nice dual speakers on my Kindle Fire HD. They strike me as louder than the single iPad speaker however.

Overall I'm glad I bought the Mini even though it is a little step backward hardware wise from the iPad 3. I think I will actually use the mini tablet more than the one I sold. I am a teacher and can also see this smaller iPad being very appealing to school districts due to the lower cost and size.

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

my apps start up quickly on my mini vs my iPad 3 i just sold. Finger prints i haven't noticed as much on my white mini as the black one i just returned. As far as responsiveness goes i didnt notice any problem yet.

3. PBz macrumors 6502a

4. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

Maybe go easy on the chocolate covered pretzels and ruffles while using it.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I actually get this on my iPad 3rd gen too. I wonder if it's iOS 6...

Sometimes I'll tap an app icon and it'll clearly have been tapped because it gets greyed out a little bit, but it won't actually launch. I tap it again then it launches. It's as if it doesn't register that first press every now and then.

Never saw this on iOS 5...

6. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

Lol.

I also noticed all the fingerprints on mine too. I think a screen protector will come in handy. Right now mine is still in the plastic wrap it came with :p

7. seajewel macrumors 6502

Trying to clear previous searches in the app store drove me crazy too lol.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

9. Indigovalley thread starter macrumors member

Indigovalley

I never thought about it but responsiveness could be related to iOS6-that makes sense.

I think I'm on to something with the fingerprints though--it's really noticable. Perhaps a thinner (or perhaps no) oil resistant coating?

10. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

All complaining about the fingerprints is your mini black. I am not noticing it on my white with invisible shield screen protector.

11. Indigovalley thread starter macrumors member

Indigovalley

LOL, yes I have a black Mini--I know black is more of a fingerprint magnet but my iPad 1, 2 and 3 were black also and it wasnt' this bad.

My skin hasn't changed any that I am aware of...

12. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

The fingerprints thing exists for all new devices. Once you get enough finger grease on it, it'll be less noticeable.