Loving my iPhone 4 without Multitasking Enabled!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Amino Man, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Amino Man macrumors 6502

I jailbroke and disabled multitasking. Here's some of the perks about doing this.

1. Almost every app opens smoothly every time (with the exception of Safari and Mail because those usually run in the background anyway).

2. Apps actually CLOSE FASTER! With multitasking enabled, there's a slight delay when hitting the home button.

3. My home button likes to double-click sometimes when pressing it once. This used to make the iPhone bring up the multitasking bar (which was pretty annoying). Now, I just have double-click set to "Home" so I never see the issue.

4. The iPhone 4 overall feels like it's running smoother. Scrolling, loading emails, opening apps etc.

If your iPhone is jailbroken and you have the chance to disable multitasking, try it. I lived without multitasking for years and never really needed it. Now, it's 2010 and I STILL don't need it. The most important things on the iPhone multitask anyway.

Anyway, try it out and see for yourself.

PS: I know that some people are going to be like "why would you disable such a useful feature!?!?!". I know that you people are out there so I just wanna say right now that it's NOT FOR EVERYONE. I did it and I'm happy. You may not like it.

PS2: I'm not crazy

PS3: Maybe a little crazy

PS4: Have fun with it.

2. Trat macrumors regular

I did the exact same thing but don't feel / see a difference with my iPhone 4: everything is just as smooth. After an hour or so, I turned back on multitasking cause I wouldn't miss it for anything.

3. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Why not just buy the 3G & sell your iphone 4 if you are not going to utilize the feature all iPhones have lacked from day 1 until iOS 4 came out? Seems kinda strange you would disable the biggest feature our phones have lacked until recently!

4. suss2it macrumors regular

Because iPhone 4 has an HD camera and a frontfacing camera that let's you video call/FaceTime, you can put 720p HD content on the iPhone 4, LED flash for the rear camera etc.

The iPhone 4 is more than just multitasking.

5. alectheking macrumors 6502a

My iphone 4 flys with multitasking, cydia and winterboard. with 512 ram aint ***** slowin down. Oh, my home button doesnt suck either.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same here. Mine is smooooooth all the time.

Don't rub it in or anything. LOL!

7. aleni macrumors 68020

i don't want to lose my game progress when someone calls me while im playing.

maybe it's cool to disable it on ipod touch 4th gen since it has no phone.

8. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

9. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

My iPhone 4 is blazing fast, maybe yours has a loose wire or something? I mean I don't think I'll notice a 300 millisecond faster response to go the home screen, and I don't have the whole clicking the home button once which then brings up the multitasking bar on mistake....I think you should exchange yours

PS: this is what the alphabet would like like if 'Q' and 'R' were removed

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

thread after thread I am convince amino man is a troll/has OCD

multitasking USES FREE MEMORY NOT CPU CYCLES

anyone who doesn't understand the difference between CPU use and Memory use ( like the OP ) needs educate themselves on this

EVERY SINGLE iphone app that supports multitasking opens faster, and is more usable

example

KPCC app. Before multitasking support, the app would take time to load, then it would start streaming

KPCC update. Programs loads immediately, starts streaming immediately

11. benjones macrumors regular

Personally I did exactly the same as the OP as soon as limera!n was released and straight away I noticed all of the benefits the OP mentioned.

I'm sticking with it disabled.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

TheSpaz?

13. jbro1999 macrumors regular

Exactly. It's in this guys head.

I love multitaking for this - "EVERY SINGLE iphone app that supports multitasking opens faster, and is more usable" This makes it much faster. If Multi was off the app would have to start up from the beginning slowing me down.

14. Trat macrumors regular

I didn't noticed them and quickly re-enabled it!

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Mulitasking?

Weird, I don't have that on my iPhone 4. Only task switching.

On another note, I do realize that if an app is not written to properly support this task switching it won't operate as smooth as apps that are written for it.

Knowledge, I has it.

16. Amino Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I know about the difference between CPU cycles and Memory. I never said that multitasking took extra CPU cycles. My iPhone just runs better with it off. What do you want from me. I explained all of the benefits and to me, it's better this way. This is strictly my opinion based on my experience using the phone.

Go ahead and keep bashing me and telling everyone how stupid I am because I happen to like something a certain way. Jeeze. I don't even stream music, so that doesn't bother me.

17. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Fail post of the month. MT adds so much to my enjoyment and productivity. I can't imagine going back, especially for the phantom gains you describe.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

I know what you mean, OP.

I put my truck on blocks and took the wheels off. I'm saving so much money not putting gas in it every week!

19. Amino Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Terrible analogy. I'm not trying to save battery power or anything like that. It also doesn't affect how I use my iPhone. I can still do everything I did before when I had multitasking. The difference now is that my iPhone just feels more stable and smooth with it turned off.

Scrolling is smoother, Mail is smoother, no taskbar, better iPod controls. I'm one of those people who never really asked for multitasking and now that I had it, I still wasn't using it so why have it enabled?

I'm not worse off like this. It's about the same, but a little bit better (for the above reasons)

Why do people theme when the graphics look fine the way they are. It comes down to preference and I prefer to not have multitasking.

20. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I say rock your phone the way you want, it's yours after all. I just don't understand why you felt the need to tell every one how you set up your phone. Now if your phone didn't come with MT enabled THAT would be post worthy.

21. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I love my pizza without any toppings on it!

Mmmmmm...dry crust.

22. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Mine works great with multitasking and I'm happy to have it. Why do people measure stuff down to the millisecond?

23. Amino Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not measuring anything. My phone just overall feels better. The interface is smoother and it feels like the iPhone isn't working as hard.

I guess you'd just have to try it to see what I'm talking about.

24. err404 macrumors 68020

If your phone is registering a double press incorrectly, get it replaced. Even if you don't use MT, you should have the option.

25. Amino Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I got an iPhone with no loose buttons and a non-yellow screen, so I'm not taking my chances with bringing it back to get something worse.