Loving(!) new display! Is there a screen saver that won't wreck it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dmaxdmax, Oct 1, 2014.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

My 6 is stunning. I'm tempted to get a screen saver since I'm a klutz and guaranteed to drop it in the car but only if it still looks glossy and sharp. I had an otterbox on the 5s but the 6 is too sleek so I went with the Apple silicone.

Budget $40.

2. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Dude just keep the display naked. It will look better. The glass is designed to be durable. I've never had any problems. The glass holds up to everyday torment very well. I've never had any significant scratches of any kind. All my iPhone's displays have looked about as good as the day I got them the day I sell them.

3. shaunmed macrumors regular

\

those arent called screen savers. what you want is a screen protector.

4. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

I was also gonna say this :p

5. Zinthar macrumors 6502

AFAIK, none of the simple stick-on screen protectors has a discernible impact on the likelihood of the screen shattering from being dropped. They probably do help avoid scratching the screen, but it's extremely difficult to scratch modern gorilla glass as is.

The Apple silicone case should go a long way towards absorbing enough of a drop impact that it would take an exceptional fall for the screen to shatter (or, if you were unfortunate enough to drop it on something like a pointy rock with the screen facing down). Personally I'd save the $40 and put it towards a replacement screen if you do end up shattering it.

6. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

My head is hanging in shame. I will trade my phone in for a Samsung for I do not deserve to be in the company of such learned men.

Sheesh.

----------

I'm concerned with scratches not shattering. They would mar the beauty as much or more than a great screen *protector*. Maybe.

7. newone757 macrumors 6502

You'd have better luck in the accessories sub section above.

Every year people claim these screens are designed to take the punishment and I finally listened to them when I got my iPhone 5. I ended up with scratches/microscratches galore -- if you are worried about it, definitely get a protector

The glass may be tough- the coating on the glass? Not so much in my experience

8. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Here you go, install this one

[​IMG]

9. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I was like... they want a screensaver? lol.

10. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

11. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

Oops, I sent that post too early. It's called a screen protector, not a screensaver.

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

Do you have a source that the iPhone 6/6+ is using Gorilla Glass or are you just assuming that because it has been used on previous versions of the iPhone? It is my understanding that Gorilla Glass is not being used on the iPhone 6/6+ and was replaced with ion strengthened glass.

13. Zinthar macrumors 6502

I'm afraid I don't have a source, and I should have clarified that I meant Gorilla Glass or something similar -- the durability tests done so far suggest scratch-resistance similar to 5/5S.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

He corrected you rather politely. Why the snarky response?

----------

Zagg, Spigen, and I am sure others make tempered glass screen protectors. They are literally a sheet of glass. Feel and look like a naked screen. I stopped using them with the 5S (since I found they were not necessary), but if you MUST have a screen protector, that's the only type I could ever recommend again.

15. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

Snarkers gonna snark. Sorry :eek:

----------

Yup - that's exactly my thinking. Also, my last 5 had a protector so when I dropped it on a tile floor the screen cracked but the film kept it in place. My phone was useable for the 2 weeks that it took me to get a replacement.

16. SwingOnThis macrumors regular

lol

17. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

The only real worthwhile screen protectors are the tempered glass ones. I don't know if many are out yet, but I highly recommend checking out tempered glass screen protectors over any sort of vinyl or plastic sheath.

18. tribestros macrumors member

I have an Invisible Shield Glass (the tempered glass ones) and it's absolutely incredible. Dry application, too. Expensive, though. Worth every penny.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm partial to Ghost Armor, though I may be tempted to search out a tempered glass protector when (if) I get my iPhone 6

20. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Oh but there is: http://youtu.be/YrWuVbJROuY

21. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I have gone through plenty of screen protector brands, but nothing comes to actually tempered glass. This is my first time using glass and it feels just like the naked skin (bar the edges)

22. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

OK - I thought that's what ghost armor was - I've got to pay more attention.

I like the idea of Ghost Armor since they install it. I'm famous for just one piece of lint or tiny bubble that won't rub out.

23. iloomeOfficial macrumors member

This is our iloome ScreenMate tempered glass with the edges covered:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dry application too, so it's really easy to install :)

(this particular model is Arctic White; we can also show you the Onyx Black ScreenMate for iPhone 6 if you guys would like to see it)

24. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

It probably doesn't work with the Apple silicone case does it?

25. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I want to know this to, but I have a spigen neo hybrid. I can still see the curves of the screen, but not sure if these glass covers will fit.