iPhone XS Loving the e-sim on my iPhone Xs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asfalloth, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:03 PM.

1. asfalloth macrumors regular

asfalloth

O2 still down in the UK, walked into EE store in Moorgate, scanned a wee e-sim QR code, immediately started getting emails and 4g data, I was convinced going to EE on the way to Liverpool St Station and home would be a non starter, but very pleasantly surprised.

I know O2 will be all good by the morning, but love the thought of a backup alternative provider on my phone now.

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

What is eSIM?

I have AT&T and a sim for that

3. asfalloth thread starter macrumors regular

asfalloth

4. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

According to your signature you are using old iphone. iPhone Xs.Xs Max have eSim capabilities just like apple watch!

5. vietalogy macrumors 6502

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Ok so I can have my SIM card and a esom so then I’ll have 2 phone numbers?

What’s the point unless you had 2 girlfriends HA! (Kidding!)

Well, I suppose a work phone and home but who wants to be called about work on their cell phone?? I would leave it for the secretary or office phone
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:56 PM ---
    Yeah I have the X

7. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

X doesnt have it. and the other scenario is that if you are travelling abroad and want to use your primary number and temporary number both! if you have a girlfriend then its better to keep two seperate phones otherwise your wife or girlfriend can read the messages LOL :D

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I feel you bro hahaha!

What is a temporary number? Like what’s the use case?

like why can’t you just use the primary number all the time?

9. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

The rates to use domestic lines internationally can be quite expensive. For example Verizon charges $10 a day or $130 for a month with 2GB of data. With an eSIM I can get a data plan that offers 5 GB for 30 days at only $50. That's 60% more data at less that 40% the cost of Verizon.

10. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

GOT IT! Makes sense!

Yeah I’d just get a local e-sim for data and stuff if it’s cheaper and just use that number to imessage & check my social media etc.

11. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Dual coverage

12. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Why not have 2 esims and get rid of the slot and associated internals, to further water proof as well.

13. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Not every country supports eSIM. I believe only 10 support eSIM at this time.

14. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

People with real jobs that need two phones need to answer their phone even after hours.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2018 at 1:31 PM ---
    Because Apple would act as a gatekeeper to carriers. Apple controls eSIM and any carrier wanting to access eSIM needs to pay Apple.

Unless you're ejecting your SIM card underwater, there's no impact on water resistance.

15. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Is that so? Thats pretty interesting. Do you have an article or document that describes this practice?

16. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Maybe. I would just delegate duties

17. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/13/app...ig-but-it-wont-risk-carrier-relationship.html

It's clear Apple controls exactly which carrier can offer services through Apple eSIM. We don't know how this is done, either through revenue sharing or something more direct.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2018 at 1:53 PM ---
    Directors and other executives don't get paid to simply delegate. It isn't a blue collar 9-5 job. Executives get paid to make the right decisions. Those decisions are often time sensitive.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Got dual SIM setup a little awhile ago. Will be nice not to have to carry two phones around anymore. Switching between both providers is nice and smooth. Makes me enjoy my XS Max even more.

19. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Esim are great! I used it to travel in November. I activated the service while in the USA. Landed in Asia, turned on my cellular on the esim and I had data! this will revolutionize my travel habits.

20. Lyn2012 macrumors 6502

I’ve now got an active eSim and I must say it is great to have both lines on the same phone.

However it’s not to good in that I had to change my home carrier to get the eSim, and I now have 1-2Mbps instead of 20Mbps + download speeds. WHY Apple????? Why make it so difficult for your customers when it would have been far simpler all round to have all phones worldwide dual physical Sim?

21. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

What exactly are you blaming on Apple? It’s upnto the carriers to support eSim. The iPhone is the first widely sold dual sim (eSim) device here in America and it will take a while for the carriers to support it.