iPhone XS Loving the e-sim on my iPhone Xs

asfalloth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
London
O2 still down in the UK, walked into EE store in Moorgate, scanned a wee e-sim QR code, immediately started getting emails and 4g data, I was convinced going to EE on the way to Liverpool St Station and home would be a non starter, but very pleasantly surprised.

I know O2 will be all good by the morning, but love the thought of a backup alternative provider on my phone now.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
O2 still down in the UK, walked into EE store in Moorgate, scanned a wee e-sim QR code, immediately started getting emails and 4g data, I was convinced going to EE on the way to Liverpool St Station and home would be a non starter, but very pleasantly surprised.

I know O2 will be all good by the morning, but love the thought of a backup alternative provider on my phone now.
What is eSIM?

I have AT&T and a sim for that

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Ok so I can have my SIM card and a esom so then I’ll have 2 phone numbers?

What’s the point unless you had 2 girlfriends HA! (Kidding!)

Well, I suppose a work phone and home but who wants to be called about work on their cell phone?? I would leave it for the secretary or office phone
[doublepost=1544140595][/doublepost]
According to your signature you are using old iphone. iPhone Xs.Xs Max have eSim capabilities just like apple watch!
Yeah I have the X

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2011

Well, I suppose a work phone and home but who wants to be called about work on their cell phone?? I would leave it for the secretary or office phone

Yeah I have the X
X doesnt have it. and the other scenario is that if you are travelling abroad and want to use your primary number and temporary number both! if you have a girlfriend then its better to keep two seperate phones otherwise your wife or girlfriend can read the messages LOL :D

Reactions: Hieveryone

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
X doesnt have it. and the other scenario is that if you are travelling abroad and want to use your primary number and temporary number both! if you have a girlfriend then its better to keep two seperate phones otherwise your wife or girlfriend can read the messages LOL :D
I feel you bro hahaha!

What is a temporary number? Like what’s the use case?

like why can’t you just use the primary number all the time?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
I feel you bro hahaha!

What is a temporary number? Like what’s the use case?

like why can’t you just use the primary number all the time?
The rates to use domestic lines internationally can be quite expensive. For example Verizon charges $10 a day or $130 for a month with 2GB of data. With an eSIM I can get a data plan that offers 5 GB for 30 days at only $50. That's 60% more data at less that 40% the cost of Verizon.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
The rates to use domestic lines internationally can be quite expensive. For example Verizon charges $10 a day or $130 for a month with 2GB of data. With an eSIM I can get a data plan that offers 5 GB for 30 days at only $50. That's 60% more data at less that 40% the cost of Verizon.
GOT IT! Makes sense!

Yeah I’d just get a local e-sim for data and stuff if it’s cheaper and just use that number to imessage & check my social media etc.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
the pool

Yeah I have the X
Dual coverage

andyw715

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2013
Why not have 2 esims and get rid of the slot and associated internals, to further water proof as well.

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
People with real jobs that need two phones need to answer their phone even after hours.
[doublepost=1544218305][/doublepost]
Why not have 2 esims and get rid of the slot and associated internals, to further water proof as well.
Because Apple would act as a gatekeeper to carriers. Apple controls eSIM and any carrier wanting to access eSIM needs to pay Apple.

Unless you're ejecting your SIM card underwater, there's no impact on water resistance.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
People with real jobs that need two phones need to answer their phone even after hours.

Because Apple would act as a gatekeeper to carriers. Apple controls eSIM and any carrier wanting to access eSIM needs to pay Apple.
Is that so? Thats pretty interesting. Do you have an article or document that describes this practice?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Unless you're ejecting your SIM card underwater, there's no impact on water resistance.
Maybe. I would just delegate duties

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Is that so? Thats pretty interesting. Do you have an article or document that describes this practice?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/13/app...ig-but-it-wont-risk-carrier-relationship.html

It's clear Apple controls exactly which carrier can offer services through Apple eSIM. We don't know how this is done, either through revenue sharing or something more direct.
[doublepost=1544219639][/doublepost]
Maybe. I would just delegate duties
Directors and other executives don't get paid to simply delegate. It isn't a blue collar 9-5 job. Executives get paid to make the right decisions. Those decisions are often time sensitive.

Reactions: BasicGreatGuy

1rottenapple

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2004

Esim are great! I used it to travel in November. I activated the service while in the USA. Landed in Asia, turned on my cellular on the esim and I had data! this will revolutionize my travel habits.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I’ve now got an active eSim and I must say it is great to have both lines on the same phone.

However it’s not to good in that I had to change my home carrier to get the eSim, and I now have 1-2Mbps instead of 20Mbps + download speeds. WHY Apple????? Why make it so difficult for your customers when it would have been far simpler all round to have all phones worldwide dual physical Sim?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
I’ve now got an active eSim and I must say it is great to have both lines on the same phone.

However it’s not to good in that I had to change my home carrier to get the eSim, and I now have 1-2Mbps instead of 20Mbps + download speeds. WHY Apple????? Why make it so difficult for your customers when it would have been far simpler all round to have all phones worldwide dual physical Sim?
What exactly are you blaming on Apple? It’s upnto the carriers to support eSim. The iPhone is the first widely sold dual sim (eSim) device here in America and it will take a while for the carriers to support it.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Yeah I don't even have a legit use for two lines, but still can't wait to activate two SEPARATE Company lines.
[doublepost=1546025228][/doublepost]Yeah I don't even have a legit use for two lines, but still can't wait to activate two SEPARATE Company lines.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68030
Feb 24, 2009
What exactly are you blaming on Apple? It’s upnto the carriers to support eSim. The iPhone is the first widely sold dual sim (eSim) device here in America and it will take a while for the carriers to support it.
He's asking for two slim slots like all the new iphones in China have. Not sure what that has to do with carriers.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009

However it’s not to good in that I had to change my home carrier to get the eSim, and I now have 1-2Mbps instead of 20Mbps + download speeds.
He's asking for two slim slots like all the new iphones in China have. Not sure what that has to do with carriers.
These problems would not exist is the carriers simplified the process.

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Over the Reignbough
Dredging up an old thread but I’m curious how this works in practice. Can you place your main domestic line into airplane mode (or at least disable cellular data) when traveling outside of your home area?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.