Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Dredging up an old thread but I’m curious how this works in practice. Can you place your main domestic line into airplane mode (or at least disable cellular data) when traveling outside of your home area?

Ya can individually turn on and off the sim data signal. So when I travelled in turned off the regular sim and turned on the esim (that’s the one with gigsky).
Esim is awesome! I love traveling to a foreign country. Landing. Turn on the esim and I’m good to go. There’s another global service besides gigsky. No going to the sim stand trying to find a local provider, then paying cash and trying to activate the phone when you are jet lagged and stressed out.

W.MlL

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
Dredging up an old thread but I’m curious how this works in practice. Can you place your main domestic line into airplane mode (or at least disable cellular data) when traveling outside of your home area?

e-sim sucks if it involves HAVING to install an app on your phone like T-Mobile in the USA is requiring, It's indeed awesome though being able to scan a QR code.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
e-sim sucks if it involves HAVING to install an app on your phone like T-Mobile in the USA is requiring, It's indeed awesome though being able to scan a QR code.

I don’t think it was a hassle. i mean having qr code means having to scan a paper with the code which is more waste that ends up in the landfill. With the Esim, you download it, activate the data, delete the app and be on your merry way.

ImAnAgent

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
My mind
I don’t think it was a hassle. i mean having qr code means having to scan a paper with the code which is more waste that ends up in the landfill. With the Esim, you download it, activate the data, delete the app and be on your merry way.
I think the T-Mobile eSim app is the best thing ever. It's convenient and it takes only a few minutes and you have an activated plan working on your phone. No need to run to the store to get the code.

The new prepaid T-Mobile site also allows you to change or port a phone number without even having to call in to do it and its just amazing. Enjoy your phone.

Reactions: 1rottenapple

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

You can set you done to only use data from one or the other

Reactions: riverfreak

W.MlL

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
I think the T-Mobile eSim app is the best thing ever. It's convenient and it takes only a few minutes and you have an activated plan working on your phone. No need to run to the store to get the code.

The new prepaid T-Mobile site also allows you to change or port a phone number without even having to call in to do it and its just amazing. Enjoy your phone.

Except you have to install an app on your phone. Each app you install is another potential vector for privacy and security issues.

ImAnAgent

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
My mind
Except you have to install an app on your phone. Each app you install is another potential vector for privacy and security issues.
Delete the app when you're finished creating the account.

Personally, I'm not worried about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.