Low Memory logs in the diagnostic and usage tab

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chekz0414, Aug 9, 2014.

1. chekz0414, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014

chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Has Anyone with an iPhone 5s experienced Low Memory logs in the diagnostic and usage tab? If so which app caused it, and would it be wise to get one now? Also I have heard rumors that older devices on iOS 7 run it better than the 5s, can anyone with two devices one 32bit and one 64bit vouch for this?? Thank you!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Everyone has. There will always be low memory logs because memory is a finite resource. Even if Apple put 64GB of ram into an iPhone, it would still complain about low memory as would the end users.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

This. I have a few of those, don't know what causes it and only know about it by looking at the logs.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Low Memory logs in the diagnostic and usage tab

I think he means why does only the 5S and iPad Air get them and not other iPhones and iPads. My 4S and iPad 3 has never had one. At least in diagnostics.

Edit: I haven't had then since iOS 7.1 fixed it btw.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Every iOS device has them, ever since Apple started logged the event, they've been there.

6. cynics macrumors G3

I've literally had zero low memory PANICS since iOS 7.1. The phone runs low on memory naturally but not as a logged error event.

[​IMG]

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Doesn't mean you've never had them. They do get removed from the device when syncing with iTunes or if automatically send to Apple is checked.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That's absolutely normal. When you use multiple applications, they all stay in memory as long as there is enough memory for all of them. Eventually they use more memory than your iPhone has, and at that point iOS throws one application out from memory. That's exactly working as designed, and every app developer knows this. If you use that application again, it will be restarted automatically without you even noticing.

More likely that Apple figured out that the low memory logs make some people upset and panicky and removed them from the logs. The OP didn't complain that apps were removed, he complained about messages he found in the logs.

9. chekz0414 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Actually I was using this thread to determine whether buying the 5s would be worth it as my iPhone 5 hasn't experienced the Low Memory logs. But I also heard the 64bit causes low memory alerts constantly but I don't know if that's true.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's nothing to do with the processor. It's everything to do with the o/s and the RAM. Wanna see the logs from my i5?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. I7guy macrumors G5

One every few days is more or less normal, imo. Ios does not support paging therefore it's expected to manage memory tightly and these are only informational.