Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I'm hoping they go for the bigger battery just to support 120 Hz. And the day I get my new iPhone I will be turning the ProMotion feature off to gain superior battery life on 60 Hz :cool:

They'll probably make the feature efficient enough (see LTPO) that making it an option isn't necessary. It might actually be a net win power draw due to scaling down to possibly even 1 Hz (it does on the Apple Watch).

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I'd love some form of always-on display. You know the kind that pretty much every Android phone with an OLED display has...

Maybe multiple settings
- off
- just clock, battery percentage, notification indicator per app
- mini calendar and notification previews

Actually mirroring the Apple Watch face sounds cool.

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
You won’t be able to, it won’t come with a switchable option

Whats the point of getting the pro if you are to switch off pro motion?

You can turn off ProMotion on an iPad Pro. Likewise you can turn off TrueTone on an iPhone. Apple used to have limited switchable options but not so much anymore.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You can turn off ProMotion on an iPad Pro. Likewise you can turn off TrueTone on an iPhone. Apple used to have limited switchable options but not so much anymore.

You can on the iPad yes but sources say apple will not give you the option on the 12 pro.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
You can turn off ProMotion on an iPad Pro.

Hrm.

Well, it depends on why that option exists:

1. it might be an older version of the technology that wasn't as efficient.
  2. it's placed under "Accessibility" (though let's be honest; that's often an Apple way of saying "we couldn't fit this kitchen-sink advanced option anywhere else), so it might be aimed at certain differently-abled people.
  3. it could be a temporary compatibility mode.
If it's 2 (or a combination that includes 2), they'll probably leave it in and offer it on the iPhone as well. But if it's just 1 and/or 3, I'm guessing it'll be removed, probably on a future iPad Pro as well.

Likewise you can turn off TrueTone on an iPhone. Apple used to have limited switchable options but not so much anymore.

Yes, but True Tone has clear downsides that not all apps handle gracefully — it's less color-accurate. (Again, there's probably some cut-off date here. As soon as the vast majority of apps where color accuracy matters handle it right, they might just kill the toggle and force True Tone on.)

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
Not sure how much I trust this guy's claim that you 'need LTPO for 120Hz', since, as stated in this article, the iPad Pro supports variable refresh rates up to 120Hz without LTPO....

More inclined to believe Jon Prosser's claim that the hardware will support 120 Hz but it may be nerfed in software.
It doesn't need LTPO for 120Hz it needs it in order to have a more efficient implementation.
Also the iPad Pro uses an IPS screen while the 12 Pro Max will have a Samsung OLED screen. The screen tech is different so you can't directly compare them.
[automerge]1589282161[/automerge]
OLED requires an LTPO backplane for variable frequency. Right now, Android phones require the user to manually switch between 60/90/120Hz.
Not entirely, the phone can switch by itself on a per app basis if you look at the Pixel 4 or One Plus 7 Pro etc. VRR is more efficient and more flexible.
Samsung yes for whatever reason keeps a solid 120hz no matter the application on their S20s.

Last edited:

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
I laugh any time I watch a tech reviewer showing the ”benefits” of a 90 or 120hz display on a competing Android device by quickly swiping up and down or back and forth, because that is exactly what I want from my iPhone...not. I mean, really, who doesn’t spend hours each day swiping quickly up and down, back and forth? It really just bums me out that doing that on my iPhone 11 Pro Max...does nothing for me.

Well on the S20 the difference between 60hz and 120hz is very noticeable when normaly using the phone. Instead of laughing maybe you could try to test those phones for yourself. Reviewers do say that the difference is not visible in the youtube video itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: carlylemiii

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I don't care, so far it looks like a very worthy upgrade and I am happy for it. I am a tech enthusiast but 5G nor ProMotion are deciding factors for me right now.

[automerge]1589229156[/automerge]

I am one of those. I do not care about Pro Motion, I own an iPad Pro and honestly I see no difference with the previous generation I also owned, just more battery consumption.
Agreed about the Phones and the iPP and ProMotion. The only thing I see in using this iPad Pro is that the pencil experience is slightly smoother, but ProMotion is a major battery hog.

I will diverge in saying I'm happy with my SE. I'd get another one of those in a heartbeat. When it comes to iDevices, the latest and greatest is not that important to me, especially in the iPhone.

Reactions: GeoStructural

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Not sure how much I trust this guy's claim that you 'need LTPO for 120Hz', since, as stated in this article, the iPad Pro supports variable refresh rates up to 120Hz without LTPO....
Because the tradeoffs between display refresh rate, device thickness/weight, and battery life cannot be slightly different with an iPad and an iPhone?

To just throw in one number (battery life for video playback):
  • iPad Pro: up to 10 h
  • iPhone 11 Pro: up to 18 h
[automerge]1589284896[/automerge]
So then how the f did they get this done two years ago on the 2018 iPad Pros?
Maybe because an iPad only needs to achieve a 10-h battery life, while an iPhone is expected to last longer?

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Well on the S20 the difference between 60hz and 120hz is very noticeable when normaly using the phone. Instead of laughing maybe you could try to test those phones for yourself. Reviewers do say that the difference is not visible in the youtube itself at full speed.

My point was that what so many reviewers do to show us how “buttery smooth” the faster refresh rate phones are, is to quickly swipe between home screens or apps - which offers ZERO real world benefit to me. Even when talking about scrolling down through emails or text messages, I’m rarely if ever doing it so quickly that I need this smooth refresh rate.

And again, I have a iPad Pro 12.9” 2018 that I am writing this on and can’t say I notice any difference when it goes into the 120hz refresh rate. I’m not saying that increasing the refresh rate isn’t a positive thing overall, but rather some are trying to make it out to be a must have technology without really explaining why it is so critical. I’d rather have reviewers say that the higher refresh rates will minimize choppiness that you might see when fast scrolling, instead of pushing this narrative that any device without a 120hz screen is wildly inferior.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
My point was that what so many reviewers do to show us how “buttery smooth” the faster refresh rate phones are, is to quickly swipe between home screens or apps - which offers ZERO real world benefit to me. Even when talking about scrolling down through emails or text messages, I’m rarely if ever doing it so quickly that I need this smooth refresh rate.

I actually don't know a review that suggested that the way to take advantage of the higher refresh rate is to swipe as fast as you can. The smoothness of higher refresh touch screens has noting to do with how fast you tap or swipe so you are misunderstanding the reviews you are looking at.

And again, I have a iPad Pro 12.9” 2018 that I am writing this on and can’t say I notice any difference when it goes into the 120hz refresh rate. I’m not saying that increasing the refresh rate isn’t a positive thing overall, but rather some are trying to make it out to be a must have technology without really explaining why it is so critical. I’d rather have reviewers say that the higher refresh rates will minimize choppiness that you might see when fast scrolling, instead of pushing this narrative that any device without a 120hz screen is wildly inferior.

Well on the S20 it is quite noticeable vs 60hz. I talk from experience.
To me it looks like you just refuse to understand what reviewers mean in their videos when they talk about high refresh rate on smartphones.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
sdf4.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.