Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
The only thing worth to be commented is Apple working hard to maintain high standard quality for their iPads ...

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
But with the tablet Apple knows it's still only the major player in town, which explains the price gouging and the "supply constraints." If the kindle fire starts selling like hotcakes just watch those "supply constraints" clear up overnight.

It's not price gouging if millions of people are more than happy to voluntarily pay that price or more. This isn't a necessary commodity that some company is taking advantage of. This is a luxury product that is being sold for what the market says it's worth.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Poor tints? What poor tints? I've got one of those new iPad Airs and I also own iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3 and two iPad 4s. The Air looks just as great as all those old ones. What bogus rumor smack are you writing about? You got facts to back that “poor tints” smear? No poor tints on mine. :confused: Please clarify.

Oh and by the way, I'll be among the first to own a retina mini the day it ships. This rumor stinks to high heaven. I can believe there's an IGZO low yield problem. But I don't believe it won't ship by the end of this month. Just not in the quantities Apple was planning for. So allocation will be the rule till next Spring at least.

jesus calm down.

and try reading through the first two pages in the ipad forum, a LOT of airs have dingy green tint on the left and pink tint on the right.

no need to get so ********, my god

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Poor tints? What poor tints? I've got one of those new iPad Airs and I also own iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3 and two iPad 4s. The Air looks just as great as all those old ones. What bogus rumor smack are you writing about? You got facts to back that “poor tints” smear? No poor tints on mine. :confused: Please clarify.

Oh and by the way, I'll be among the first to own a retina mini the day it ships. This rumor stinks to high heaven. I can believe there's an IGZO low yield problem. But I don't believe it won't ship by the end of this month. Just not in the quantities Apple was planning for. So allocation will be the rule till next Spring at least.

Lol. From looking at your posting history, you've never heard of the ipad general forum. Go check it out.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I would NOT be surprised that Apple announces that the iPad mini with Retina Display will not ship until middle to late January 2014. That way, it will allow other touchscreen manufacturers to ramp up production to the levels Apple wants.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Apple is not going to wait to after the holidays to sell the stockpiles of Mini they've already accumulated somewhere.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Yeah I'm sure Apple was so scared of the new Nexus they decided to. Rush the Mini and release it before it was really ready.

I didn't say scared of nexus, but more like throwing their hat in the high res small device ring early. When was the last time apple had such vague release date?

please read the entire post.

doobs22

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009
Redwood City, California
21 days of hoping for the new iPad Mini

They should have used whoever asus uses for the nexus 7 2013 displays. I think its japan display which is also used on the iphone I believe. The display on nexus 7 2013 is beautiful and doesn't have any burn in issues.

----------

Do yourself a favor and get the nexus 7 over the kindle fire.

Thank for the advice. Yeah, thanks to you I'll get the nexus 7 instead of the kindle fire. But I'll wait another 21 days to hopefully get the new iPad mini Hi-res.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
But what if so few of the new Minis were built that it would make more sense to delay its arrival until middle January 2014?

Apple already know they will have enough to start shipping in November otherwise they would never have announced it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
[Apple]: The iPad mini Retina will be legen- ... wait for it ...
... wait for it ...
... wait for it ...
... wait for it ...
... wait for it ...
... wait for it ...
... wait for it ...
[Customer]: meh.

While you might say, "meh," millions of people will still line up in droves for it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't say scared of nexus, but more like throwing their hat in the high res small device ring early. When was the last time apple had such vague release date?

please read the entire post.

November really isn't that vague. Not compared to the 'later this year' that others give.

And they wouldn't have said even that if they were not ready. They know they will get **** if they miss it.

It's easy to see what they are doing. The iPad Air release was a test of the whole personal pickup idea. They give it a couple of weeks to clear out the majority of orders and then launch the Mini with a tweaked version that should run even better.

Competition, alleged or otherwise, has little to nothing to do with it

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
But what if so few of the new Minis were built that it would make more sense to delay its arrival until middle January 2014?

If demand is as high as Cook fears it won't matter when they release. The issue will still be there.

Apple doesn't stock pile for months, for a variety of reasons. Reasons that make them unlikely to change that plan,

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You must not have had a yellow screened iPhone 4.

Nope! But now that you mention it, my 3GS actually had a gradation from a color balanced white to a yellowish tint. It was more annoying because you could see that part of the screen was a different color. I'd rather it be all yellow and my eyes could adjust.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
If demand is as high as Cook fears it won't matter when they release. The issue will still be there.

Apple doesn't stock pile for months, for a variety of reasons. Reasons that make them unlikely to change that plan,

I have to disagree. Apple usually starts manufacturing of a new product just over one month from product release date, more or less. The iPad Air tablets that hit retail in the first seven days after the 1 November 2013 release date were probably final-assembled around middle to late September 2013.

If Apple is experiencing major problems getting supplies of the 7.9" Retina Display touchscreens, one wonders can they make the 22 November 2013 retail start date without running into serious initial supply problems.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I noticed how much Apple is trying to get more manufacturing done here on US soil which is a great thing- we need more jobs. But this iPad Mini retina is a hot mess. First of all, having Sharp supply them with the screens wasn't even the best decision in the first place. Sharp is such a crappy brand. Apple needs to manufacture their own parts here in the states where they can control the quality of the product. Come on Apple! Get with it!!!:mad:

Yes because the Japanese just have a track record for making low quality junk, and are no good with precise manufacturing like this?

Also, why would you wish for Apple to enter a mature market that it has no experience in, that is ultra competitive and that is denting even the big players in the market (making displays).

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
While you might say, "meh," millions of people will still line up in droves for it.

Including me....after watching a few hands-on reviews of the Mini Retina ---- I was really torn between the Air and the Mini, I made up my mind that I am definitely getting the Mini....now, I just can't decide between silver and slate:)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have to disagree. Apple usually starts manufacturing of a new product just over one month from product release date, more or less.

I said months. So you are basically disagreeing with something I didn't say.

Next time you want to attempt to 'correct' someone make sure you read what they wrote and not what you want to believe they said. It's the polite thing to do.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
haha..

And Apple said they were switching to using IGZO in their own displays too..

Seems they get get it right, no matter who makes the display,,, Samsung, or LG.. And now we know, Sharp has their fair of problems too..

Anyone else ??

These "problems" i've never faced, but if it's a known issue, then companies should learn from their mostakes, rather than taking the cowards way out and switching to a "so called" better technology...

It can't be THAT better if their are still problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.