Lower cost data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iansilv, Jun 1, 2009.

1. iansilv macrumors 65816

What if they did this for the iphone and the new upcoming tablet- they actually restricted the speed to edge speeds- or even lower- so that people who only cared about email could get along just fine?

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Obvious answer - their internet speeds would be slower...? Not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. :confused:

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas...

There's no way to know what will happen at this point. We'll have to see what we'll see.

4. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

Are you guys serious?

OK- let me see if I can reword it for those having difficulty making intelligent posts tonight...

Who here has an opinion on the potential usefulness and customer acceptance of a second lower speed unlimited data plan for a significantly lower cost so that people who are largely just concerned about checking their email could use it just fine?

5. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

It would benefit those that would just like to check their email (stating the obvious)...awesome thread.

6. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

moto racer- you're an idiot. If you have nothing to contribute here, go somewhere else

7. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I think it would completely defeat the purpose of the iPhone. If I wanted slower internet speeds for less cost, I would get a much cheaper phone than the iPhone.

8. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

I can see that reasoning. I was just thinking of my wife- she has very little need to surf the web- but email come sin great for her, and all the other functions of the phone she loves. I could see her doing some low cost 5$ data plan that kept speeds to edge-like rates.

I just see data as being this all-or-nothing thing where the carriers want to give you the fastest connection and then put caps on the amount you can download- why not sell speed grades and keep it unlimited?

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They are more likely to do it with some sort of cap on data transfer in a period (say a month) than speed. In the end it's the amount of data transferred that costs them...

10. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I kinda see where the OP is saying. I can forsee apple having limited data rates with caps, sorta like 10/month for 1gb of data or less.

I personally have a 1st gen 16gb iphone and I love my tmobile 5.99 plan. I just don't like the idea of paying 30 plus the cellphone bill, PLUS my home internet (add the fact that there are limits to the cellphone data plan) makes the whole iphone thing a raw deal imo.

The edge works for what I need it to, and I love push email.

11. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

they will limit data amount before they limit data speeds. if you're just using it for email, then you probably don't need more than a couple MB of data a month.

I hope they do a cheaper 1GB or 500MB plan. I never use more than 300MB a month.

12. nyutnyut macrumors member

this is exactly what i'm holding out on. i think if they did this, they would get even more subscribers. in fact, if i could just have the iphone without a data plan i would be happy with that.

i'm hoping the new iphone will actually make the overpriced jailbroken 2g's reasonably priced.

13. bjquach macrumors 6502

If they cap the speeds on the iphone, wouldn't Apple have to release a special iphone that has different hardware capabilities for EDGE only or 3G instead of the rumored 3.5G phone?

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Calling people idiots might get you banned... it's happened to me :(

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Same speeds, just a capped plan (say 200 to 500 MB)