Lower-Cost iPhone Said to Use 'Super-Thin' Plastic and Fiberglass Shell in 4-6 Colors

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is reiterating his claims that Apple's low-cost iPhone will have a 4-inch screen, plastic casing, and be available in a range of colors similar to Apple's iPod lineup, sharing a few new details in a report highlighted by AppleInsider. In particular, Kuo shares offers some information on the device's plastic and fiberglass casing.
The new, less expensive iPhone model is said to have a "super-thin plastic casing mixed with glass fiber." The material will make it stronger, thinner and lighter than typical smartphone plastic casings, Kuo said.

He expects the thickness to be between 0.4 and 0.6 millimeters, which is thinner than the average plastic casing at between 0.7 and 1 millimeter.
Kuo had previously suggested the phone would be available in a range of six colors, but is now being more cautious in suggesting "between four and six."

Key Apple supplier Foxconn will manufacture complete phones, he says, while Green Point will make additional casings for phones that will be assembled by Pegatron. The analyst has previous suggested that Apple is looking to diversify suppliers, and that Pegatron would be responsible for assembling the majority of the low-cost iPhones.

Article Link: Lower-Cost iPhone Said to Use 'Super-Thin' Plastic and Fiberglass Shell in 4-6 Colors

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
apple making something thinner? really? next u r gonna tell me that they r gonna add another row of apps :p

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I think I would actually be game for the cheaper iPhone model when they hit the used markets. Of course, it depends on what's inside... I've gotta say though, a Product(RED) iPhone would be pretty cool. :)

For the first time in a long time, I'm excited to hear about possible new product rumors.

pixelpro

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
It would be cool to return to the candy imac style. Translucent back, showing the internals.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I'd love to see an iPhone made in the shape of a 4/5 but with a polycarbonate shell as was used in the old white plastic MacBook.

Basically a white iPhone 4 but with no metal rim.

JilzVT

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Beginning of the end for Apple if this happens.

They're not a company who competes on price by giving up quality.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
They should make the screen at least 6" so they have a chance at competing with Samsung :rolleyes:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

who said they were giving up quality? the 3gs and the 3g felt premium in the hand, and this design will be a radically improved 3gs/3g casing design tagged along with a very nice display for a phone that will be cheap to the masses

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816

OMG you're sooo right eh? Remember that stainless steel iPhone 3G? Oh right, my bad.

----------

They should make the screen at least 6" so they have a chance at competing with Samsung :rolleyes:
No no no no. Their rumoured TV set should be the new phone.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009

The new, less expensive iPhone model is said to have a "super-thin plastic casing mixed with glass fiber." The material will make it stronger, thinner and lighter than typical smartphone plastic casings
Sorry, what were you talking about again?

BobZap

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Honestly, this is the most sensible rumor I've seen.
They need to retire the 4 and 4S this year in order to get all phones on the same 4" screen and lightning connector.

bloggerblog

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Now that mobile-phones are becoming a popular web browsing and texting platform with lesser actual phone calling. I hate to admit it but the iPhone 5's screen is way too narrow for web-browsing in portrait mode, and fails in its landscape mode too. I'd rather it sport a wider 5" screen than the current skinny one.