LTE Applewatch with AT&T Grandfathered iPhone UDP?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iMas70, Feb 11, 2018.

1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

Does anyone have an LTE AppleWatch with an AT&T Grandfathered iPhone UDP? There was talk about the two not being compatible when the watch was released a few months ago. I had to make a few calls to AT&T after I couldn't set my watch up at the Apple Store. They eventually got it to work. Each of my devices has it's own plan (GUDP for the iPhone, $20 UDP with hotspot for the iPad and then the AW). I called AT&T to speak with someone about an unrelated problem earlier. The rep started jumping all over my plans and telling me they shouldn't be set up like that. I'd have to go with one of their new Unlimited Plus or Unlimited Choice data plans even though everything has been working fine. In the end, I told her I'd call back. My original concern wasn't taken care of.

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Your Apple Watch should have it's own data plan: $10 Wearable unlimited data plan. That's one of the reason the carriers are requiring both the watch and the paired iPhone to be on the same post-paid billing account.

Unless you understand and have reviewed all the pluses and minuses of switching to a new Unlimited Plan, just keep telling reps to not touch your existing plans!

Note: There is no actual reason that you can't add a $10 Wearable data plan when you have a legacy grandfathered iPhone data plan. It will work just fine. AT&T made a decision not to officially support any of the old legacy plans including the old iPhone plans. After the Series 3 launched last fall, they even provided education to call center reps to "Not" add the $10 to any of the old legacy plans including the iPhone UDP.

Dave

3. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'd say my current plans are perfect for me but they always want to try to push me out of the existing plan. I just keep telling them no. The rep today said I'd have to go with one of their new plans and I believe she said the watch and iPad would have a combined plan. I might be off on that one but I'm pretty sure that's what she said.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yea, that's not possible. The only way the watch exits on a plan is a $10 Wearable unlimited data plan. It is specific to wearable devices and was designed to be match to unlimited phone plan.

Now with that out of the way, yes it is possible to add a watch to one of the Mobile Share plans that have shared buckets of minutes. Just like it is actually possible to have exactly what you currently have selected. It is even possible to add a watch to other legacy plans, it is just that AT&T wants to move away from supporting the old legacy account types and "plans".

It is also possible the CSR was trying to get you to chose a new plan so that they could get credit for a "Sale". The same thing can happen when you stop in a retail location. Just keep saying "my plans" are fine do not make any changes!

Note: What was your other question that you originally called in about, we might be able to offer you a solution or the steps to get a solution that does not involve making any changes to your existing plans.

Dave

5. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I went to use my personal hotspot today and found that the switch wasn't available to turn it on and off. It's been working fine since I set the iPad up on AT&T's new $20 UDP in October. I called AT&T after spending over 90 minutes chatting with an AT&T rep. The rep on the phone said some of the features for that plan expired on Feb 7th. I've never heard of that before. He couldn't figure it out so he created a ticket to have someone else work on it.

This is the plan that I have - AT&T Unlimited iPad 4G LTE - Includes unlimited domestic wireless data on a tablet. After 22GB data usage, AT&T may slow speeds for remainder of bill cycle. Includes up to 10GB of tethering per month; after 10GB, tethering usage is slowed to max of 128 Kbps. Stream Saver included

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

@iMas70 Contact AT&T and ask. Anyone here will just guess to the answer, where as AT&T will tell you.

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Well this is another plan that should not be available to you based on AT&T's current policy. You should have only been offered the $20 AT&T Unlimited iPad 4G LTE as an add-on to one of the newer Unlimited plans.

It might have been noticed in an automated system sweep. The other option is that your web browser is allowing the code to execute on your account when you log in to your MyAT&T. You might try the MyAT&T app or another browser.

Note: The rep was able to add it to your existing billing account because it has a stand-alone SOC.

Dave

8. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

An AT&T rep mentioned it to me in October. I didn’t know the plan existed before that. If that’s the case, it’s not my fault they offered it and set me up on that plan.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Correct. I was just sharing the facts with you and not implying or blaming you for anything a CSR did to your account. Just to clarify, there was quite a bit of confusion last year when AT&T started offering this iPad / Tablet add-on plan.

It was only intended for use as an add-on to the 2 new Unlimited data plans. The thing that caused the confusion to reps and customer alike was that this add-on plan has a standalone code just like the new $10 Wearable unlimited data plans.

AT&T intends for customers to migrate to the new Unlimited plans. For customers that don't want to move to the new unlimited plans for an iPad / Tablet customer, AT&T restarted the $29.99 monthly unlimited iPad / Tablet data plan.

Note: the new $29.99 plan is not truly unlimited but has the now standard verbiage about AT&T being able to throttle your speeds after 22 GB per month on a per cell tower basis.

Dave

10. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand :) That was my thought while waiting for AT&T to call yesterday (it's not my fault they set me up with that plan). There is a thread going in the iPad section, others are reporting that there hotspots aren't working either. I feel better knowing that it's not just my account but am wondering what is going on.

I'll suck up the extra $10. but they should honor the plan their rep put me in. I'll have to check out the new plan.

11. dave006 Contributor

dave006

While the final answer may be that you will be forced to move to the $29.99 plan, don't suggest it yourself.

There is no physical reason that you can't stay on this $20 plan. It is just not within "Policy" for reps to assign this plan to old legacy unlimited plans. So let's see what happens with ticket that was opened.

Dave

12. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

Another problem... My iPad speeds are now constantly in the 3/3 range. I tested it the same time as my iPhone. That had speeds in the 50s/mid-teens. Something happened with the plan. I called tech to discuss this. The overseas rep didn’t have an answer. I kept suggesting there’s a problem with my iPad. I even told him I have a feeling something changed with my plan.

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes that might explain quite a bit. If it is not just a "system" problem to be addressed by a trouble ticket then it sounds like you are being treated as if you are now on the equivalent of the AT&T Unlimited Choice plan for you iPad. It is an unlimited plan that provides up to 3 Mbs speeds until you get to 22 GB and then it may be slowed. It also does not offer the Personal Hot Spot option which seems to match what you are experiencing.

For reference here are the relevant Terms on the original $20 iPad / Tablet Plan:

AT&T UNLIMITED TABLET PLAN:
    Requires a single line AT&T Unlimited Choice, AT&T Unlimited Plus, AT&T Unlimited Choice for Business, or AT&T Unlimited Plus for Business plan ("Single Line Plan"); multiline plans are ineligible. If you become ineligible, AT&T may move you to a different plan with same or lower monthly charge. Once moved, you can move to any currently available plan. Unlimited Data, Tethering, and Roam North America Feature: Same speeds, terms, conditions, restrictions & limitations as your Single Line Plan. Tethering requires compatible device. Talk & Text: Not included. Pricing: $20 monthly plan charge (in addition to monthly charges for Single Line Plan). Devices: Sold separately. Limits: Tablets only. Only 2 AT&T Unlimited Tablet plans can be associated with your Single Line Plan; only 1 if you also have an AT&T Unlimited Wearable plan. Availability: Select locations only.

AT&T UNLIMITED CHOICE℠: Data speed limited to a max of 3Mbps. Plan is not eligible for Stream Saver, but for content we can identify as video, speed will be at a max of 1.5 Mbps at Standard Definition quality (about 480p). Data and video speeds will be capped at amounts shown above, regardless of the network your device is on (for example 4G LTE, 4G or 3G). After 22GB of data usage on a line in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on that line during periods of network congestion. See att.com/broadbandinfo for details on AT&T network management policies. Tethering and Mobile Hotspot use prohibited (except for Connected Cars).

Dave

14. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I called AT&T a few times amd finally got someone who could take care of the problem. I called customer service who transferred me to the department that works with iPads. She looked over my account and said my service changed on Feb 6th. She didn’t know why but was able to change it back. I rebooted the iPad and my hotspot was back but my speed was still slow (3/3). I rebooted it again and the speeds were back to normal. She didn’t know why the plan changed it said it shouldn’t happen again. Shouldn’t...

15. dave006 Contributor

dave006

OK, glad you got it resolved. It may have been an automated system sweep that you got caught in that made the changes to your plan.

Dave