Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So I don't get the worry that a new director, or Disney, will make it "kiddie" when Lucas took it way in that direction years ago (I'd say starting with Jedi).

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Good news, folks! Disney shuts down LucasArts!! Great news, I'm sooo excited...oh, wait a second...

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
A nightmare, an end of an era, i loved the lucasarts stuff, from Maniac mansion, to DOTT to monkey island, sam and max, full throttle, and the myriad of SW games they threw out (my fave was definitely x-wing!!!)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
A nightmare, an end of an era, i loved the lucasarts stuff, from Maniac mansion, to DOTT to monkey island, sam and max, full throttle, and the myriad of SW games they threw out (my fave was definitely x-wing!!!)

100% agreed! Legendary games. My Pc was always too lame for running X-Wing, though...wasn't there even a Tie Fighter game? Couldn't even say what's my favorite game, probably Monkey Island, because it was the first I got addicted to.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Good news, folks! Disney shuts down LucasArts!! Great news, I'm sooo excited...oh, wait a second...

I don't like it, but from a core business perspective, I can understand the move. Disney is not about writing games but rather licensing. From what I read, they're intent is to further leverage LucasArts by licensing star wars games instead of producing them.

The cost of game development has easily grown into 6 figures, so I can see why Disney wants to focus on what they do best and license products from companies that focus on games

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Michael Arndt's scrapped Star Wars story was about Luke and Han's kids

Arndt is said to have focused on the offspring of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), with the original trilogy heroes taking on supporting roles. Abrams, however, wanted Episode VII to focus on the classic trio of characters, so audiences could have one more chance to enjoy them before a fitting send-off. The new characters, the offspring, will now be in supporting roles, according to these sources, and take center stage in Episode VIII and IX. Some characters have disappeared from the Arndt script and new ones are being drafted.

A new story about aged characters doesn't sound interesting, Abrams. Say it ain't so. With so many potential storylines... He's gonna dip in an old well. Ugh.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Well, at least he's not rebooting the series. The last thing we need is a BS love triangle between Han, Leia and Luke, ending with the awkward reveal of the latter two's shared parentage.

Yeah, a reboot would be awful. But that's stating the obvious, even to Abrams. Even the idea of mixing the old characters with the new, unless extremely briefly, really turns me off. This galaxy is far, far away. Plenty of space for new adventures with new characters. My eyes can't unsee that last Indiana Jones Crystal Skull abomination and I fear a script trying to reignite an old fire with burnt logs ain't gonna work for similar reasons.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, a reboot would be awful.
Agreed, They've successfully rebooted Batman and Superman, but I hated the Star Trek reboot, but the second movie wasn't bad, even if it was a shameless ripoff of the first Kahn movie.

As for Star Wars, this would be disastrous, dare I say there's way too many books and comic books out there that a reboot would alienate all of the fans.

I'm not a big fan of trotting out a 70 year old Han Solo, or Princess Lei either. They need to develop some good characters, they shouldn't have Yoda/Obi Wan/Anakin in ghost form either.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I think the love triangle between Han, Leia, and Luke was over during ROTJ. I doubt that they'll start that up.

All I'm sure about is that there is a good chance they're going to f this up. The new SW better be at least a pg-13 and NO PUPPETS!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It doesn't sound like that big a deal to me, they'll still end up being about the kids, just more in the second movie with the first setting it up and passing the torch.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Agreed, They've successfully rebooted Batman and Superman, but I hated the Star Trek reboot, but the second movie wasn't bad, even if it was a shameless ripoff of the first Kahn movie.

The Superman reboot was successful? I dunno about that... the story seemed all over the place, and the symbolism was about as subtle as a brick to the face. (He's Jesus, get it? Yup, Jesus. Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus. Oh, and did we mention he is Jesus?)

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

As for Star Wars, this would be disastrous, dare I say there's way too many books and comic books out there that a reboot would alienate all of the fans.

I'm not a big fan of trotting out a 70 year old Han Solo, or Princess Lei either. They need to develop some good characters, they shouldn't have Yoda/Obi Wan/Anakin in ghost form either.

I love the new Star Trek movies. But I agree with you about Star Wars. They should be new stories. There are lots of books to pull story lines from.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I love the new Star Trek movies. But I agree with you about Star Wars. They should be new stories. There are lots of books to pull story lines from.

I didn't like the first Star Trek movie, but the second (the Kahn ripoff) was a good movie on its own, which was surprising why they felt they needed to copy the original so closely. They could have made Kahn someone else and altered how Kirk worked on the warp engines to something else.

Either way, I like the second Star Trek movie, not the first and I'm hopeful that Star Wars will have a tight story line.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
As an avid reader of post ROTJ novels I'm quite used to the idea of the original characters being older.
I'm more concerned how the children of these characters will be included. In the novels Luke has a child called Ben. Han and Leia have three, Jacen and jaina (twins) and Anakin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_family
Are they just going to ignore all that or try and fit the new story's in with the already written time line?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
No you are not...

Am I the only one NOT excited JJ Abrams is the chosen one? I'd rather see a role of the dice with some new up and comer. I just have a feeling the new ones will be stale, rehearsed and canned. I wasn't a fan of Star Trek, Lost lost me... Just not really pumped. I pray it's not an Indiana Jones 4 scenario. What a fail, for all the same reasons this is shaping up to be. I really hope I'm wrong.

I do not want to see the older versions of the OT characters (why I haven't read some of the novels.)

There are so many things Disney could do, but with the recent and obvious announcement that Marvel will start publishing OT focused comics in 2015, it looks rather meh to me.

Shuts off fan woman dismay.

But if Disney were to give us a cracking stand alone Obi-Wan Kenobi film with McGregor reprising the role, THAT I would go see. Kenobi is the only character from the OT I still enjoy.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
The most recent casting call has two roles that are classified as "leads"; a caucasian male aged 17-21 and an any race/bi-racial female aged 16-19.

Another casting call is also looking for a "large number" of "tall actors, preferably over 2m in height".

I'm intrigued by the fact that they are planning on using a mixture of physical effects, miniatures and CGI.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Large number of tall actors? I wonder if they're planning on finally showing the Wookiee planet.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Large number of tall actors? I wonder if they're planning on finally showing the Wookiee planet.
They were on Kashyyyk in episode 3.
Not to mention a certain holiday special George Lucas wishes he could destroy every copy of.

Funny, I don't remember that. Did they show a bunch of wookiees?

Yes. Including a brief cameo from the only Wookiee we really care about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.