Lucy Movie 2014- Spoilers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Huntn, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Disclaimer: Lucy is SciFi fantasy, no arguments here for a scientifically grounded speculative premise. :p

Foundation for this thread due to explicit spoilers in next post that I thought should not go into the Movie Thread.

----------

WARNING: Spoiler follows regarding criticisms of the ending, with explicit description of the climax

After having some time to reflect on Lucy, I am in mostly agreement with the understated ending, primarily because this character could defeat any human foe by simply thinking about it. If she had put her mind to it, it would have been slam, bam over, more like "sla...over,!" lol. :) Having her focused on her transformation seems to be the best way to allow suspense during the climax as the two groups battle, other than maybe at the end seizing the drug lord by the temples and making him see every cruel thing he's ever done in his life, or something like that. :D

However, I do agree that having her vanish, and then for the drug kingpin to be shot in the back by the officer was less than satisfying because it did not build on this incredible occurrence.

The elephant in the room for the future of the human race is synthetic CPH4, Pandora's box opened. Can they pull a sequal off? ;)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was largely disappointed with the movie, I thought it could go in so many different directions in then where it did go. I also didn't care for the ending.

Its not a movie, I'm likely to see again,

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I thought Lucy was mediocre at best. I'm finding this to be true of current sci-fi movies. I especially hated the highly rated Tom Cruise movie Edge Of Tomorrow, a very shallow storyline with way too fast special affects. Boring as hell as far as I'm concerned. And yes, I fully understood the storyline ...

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

I mistakenly bought it so that I could justify my 128 Gig iPhone by loading it on there. Cop out ending. Interesting premise. I cannot believe the amount of reviews of pseudo scientists arguing how the flick did not comport with reality.

5. Huntn, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Oh, and the story seemed rushed and too short. I still liked it because I like her transformation, and omnipotence. I was afraid before hand that I'd not be able to swallow that improving brain function turns you into a super hero. Apparantly no problem for me, although I had no idea she'd turn into a star child. ;)

There ya go, I enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow too, although the idea of a time loop was not original, and I did not buy it (as in acquire disk).

Btw, although I enjoyed it, able to suspend disbelief, I have not drunk the Koolaid. :D I'm still deciding if I'll buy Lucy. Some of the moments, and they were just moments ("Hey, your dead") where she wipes the floor with adversaries were impressive but because of her power were too brief. Once you get over her abilities, she was just too powerful to make these interactions suspenseful, so ideally the movie relied on story which was rather basic (she needs more CPH4*to reach her destiny) and to use other interactions to increase suspense, which was why the police were fighting the Chinese gangsters in the end while she transformed.

*A substance name invented for the movie. http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/22785/is-cph4-from-science-fiction-movie-lucy-real

This article in scientific american trashes any notion of a scientific basis for the movie: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2014/07/25/lucy-film-hinges-on-brain-capacity-myth/ It might have been better is an unknown alien substance had turned her into an X-man. ;)

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

When the commercials for Lucy came out, I said to my coworkers "if this movie ends with her just disappearing to another level of consciousness or some other cop-out ending....." They all laughed and agreed that that's what exactly would happen. Sorry to find out we were right.

I saw EOT after hearing all the total crap reviews and was expecting junk. But I actually enjoyed it for the most part. Low expectations and all. I didn't like the SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER BELOW

Happy ending. No problem with Tom defeating the aliens but did everything have to reset so he could get the girl, too?

7. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

I saw it in the cinema - despite complete darkness other than the screen, a row of people I'd have had to push my way past and the impact of an oversize hotdog (yummy) which all conspired to keep me in my seat for the duration, I found it a yawn and could barely be bothered watching.

At home in front of the TV? would probably have lasted 15 minutes before deciding that underneath the kitchen sink could really do with a dusting and that my sock drawer was just crying out to be reorganized; ideally by length, color and washing instructions :p

Low on plot, predictable story progression and completely contradictory plot devices = a big, big miss for me :(

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Not disagreeing with you, but what contradictory plot devices? Not saying there were none, Just curious, for my education.

9. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Ignore me fingers ran ahead of my brain - even i cant work out what i meant there!

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

No problem. :) I see it as a shallow story, presenting a premise, could have been a better story, with better execution and more intrigue.

The problem is when a movie like this tries to drape itself with a scientific basis presented as a fact, which is not a fact, that humans use less than 10% of their brains. And it's not helped when it says Dolphins use more brain power by virtue of their sonar abilities which is also contested by scientists. Not that they don't have sonar, but that it's a result of operating at a higher brain utilization than humans. I'm now wondering why I like it at all, lol. Maybe I have a crush on Scarlett. ;)