M.2 ssd question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Blackey Cole, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Blackey Cole macrumors member

well I’m about to tear in to my pc laptop for sim and VR and my Mac pro and update the m2 drive in my pc laptop for a larger one then the cmp I’m wishing to move the 2 1tb we blue SATA Ssds to the drive bay and do away with the raid 0 replaced with m.2 Ssds seperatly one for Mac OS and one for win 7/10. From my previous research I figured out that there is a minimum difference between the SATA Ssd and a m.2 SATA ssd but there is a difference between a SATA m.s and a nvme ssd . But what I do not know if the nvme will be beneficial in an old cmp using a pci card for SATA. If it is I’ll buy a couple of nvme drives for it from what I can tail for the pc is it’s using a SATA ssd m,2 drive which I already have on hand a replacement. But I saving the old drive once I clean it up as a source drive for future upgrades. That will give me a 2tb m.ssd SATA and a 1tb hdd SATA in the pc. Two 1tb SATA/nvme ssd m.2 and three 1 tb we blue ssd SATA drives with a 4tb we red for the cmp. Plus the 4 4tb we red in raid striped with pairity external enclosure plus several nas’s On the lan. The other upgrade is the GPU up to a gtx-1080 Fe 8gb, and upping the WiFi/by card to bt4 internal on mb vs pci card that’s ive been running it has 64gb ram ddr3 and dual cpus to give a 12 core 5,1 to go with the Apple 27” display I might add a second optical drive if it’s handy when I’m putting it back to get her. I’d love to use it fo vr and my swimming with dcs and xp so the laptop would be my travel rig.

2. kschendel macrumors 65816

3. Blackey Cole thread starter macrumors member

Will I see a benefit of using nvme m.2 ssds over SATA m.2 ssds on a cmp 5,1?

4. kschendel macrumors 65816

Depends on your usage. The m.2-ness has nothing to do with it, that's just a form factor, so the question is whether you'll see an improvement from NVMe vs SATA. There's no native m.2 SATA connector in the cMP, so I assume you'd be using a PCIe card with a SATA controller and an on-card m.2 connector(s), and such a card is likely to be SATA 3 instead of the cMP built-in SATA 2. NVMe will be faster in benchmarks, no question. You might even notice it in real life if you're doing things that involve numerous sequential reads and maybe writes. If your workload is random write heavy I doubt that you'll be able to tell the difference.

As a data point, I have both SATA 2 and NVMe SSD in my cMP. The NVMe runs maybe 3x faster doing sequential read benchmarks. Running mixed-read-write database workloads I can tell the NVMe is faster, but not by a whole lot; maybe 20% faster total runtime overall (I'm guessing now, it's been a while since I measured it). Subjectively it's really hard to tell the difference interactively. SATA 3 would be intermediate in speed between SATA 2 and NVMe.

5. handheldgames macrumors 68000

handheldgames

ABSOLUTELY. M.2 ssd’s are the same speed as a SATA 3 ssd at 550 MB/sec Max. PCIe SSD’s max out at 1500 MB/sec Max.

If you are going M.2, PCIe NVMe is the way to go in 2018.

6. Blackey Cole thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply yes I have a SATA pci board that has two SATA ssd right now I’m thinking of swapping them out to m.2 ssd s one each to run macOS’s and apps and the other for win7/10 os and apps I’m moving the two 2.5 ssd to the trays for xxp11 and dcs a third SATA ssd will run my adobe photo editing software then the last tray will receive a 4tb we red hdd for saving downloads and files to ie library use it also has a raid ext box with 4 4tb we red in raid for my photos and itunes library. So even the old cmp 5,1 will benefit from a nvme m.2 ssd so I guess I’ll be buying at least one if not 2 for the Mac I’m thinking 1tb should work. It appears my new Acer doesn’t use the nvme varieties just the SATA m,2 and I have a 2tb on hand for it the 500mb will be a thumb drive clean copy once I get it to that point for recovery options. Just wish we could get a thunderbolt 3 card for the cmp it would be perfect.

7. pertusis1 macrumors 6502

What would you know about it?

Btw, thanks again for your NVMe thread several years ago. I set up a 941 in my 5,1 and have used it trouble free and lightning fast ever since.