M.2 to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
Hey collective Mac Pro hive mind.

I'm trying to expand on the practical use of my Amfeltec Squid M.2 adapter. I currently run 4 M.2 SSDs on there. I used to run them in RAID 0, but realized the 6000+MB/s wasn't really doing anything practical for my workflow. Even as I work with editing multiple streams of high bit-rate 10-bit 4K video, I've found that the speed of one M.2 SSD handles it fine. So I've found system speed is quite a bit faster overall by dividing the 4 SSDs on the card to different uses (one for OS, one for source media, one for media cache & renders, e tc).

I use the last drive on their for media exports, but it's not really necessary. I'm interested in adding a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port to my Mac Pro. Does anyone know of any M.2 to USB 3.1 Gen 2 adapter out there? I can't seem to find one, but would love to slide a card like that into one of the slots and provide one of these ports. Unfortunately, all my PCI slots are completely full.

I can only find M.2 to SATA port adapters.

Last edited:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Hey collective Mac Pro hive mind.

I'm trying to expand on the practical use of my Amfeltec Squid M.2 adapter. I currently run 4 M.2 SSDs on there. I used to run them in RAID 0, but realized the 6000+MB/s wasn't really doing anything practical for my workflow. Even as I work with editing multiple streams of high bit-rate 10-bit 4K video, I've found that the speed of one M.2 SSD handles it fine. So I've found system speed is quite a bit faster overall by dividing the 4 SSDs on the card to different uses (one for OS, one for source media, one for media cache & renders, e tc).

I use the last drive on their for media exports, but it's not really necessary. I'm interested in adding a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port to my Mac Pro. Does anyone know of any M.2 to USB 3.1 Gen 2 adapter out there? I can't seem to find one, but would love to slide a card like that into one of the slots and provide one of these ports. Unfortunately, all my PCI slots are completely full.

I can only find M.2 to SATA port adapters.
try a google image search for m.2 usb 3.1. While not at the top of the list, it looks like there are a couple of options. Although they are not specifically m-key, they should be x2 compatible options.

Reactions: PowerMike G5

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
Thanks guys! Yes, I've been finding a lot of what Synchro3 linked, but after scrolling through what HandHeld linked, I think I found what I was looking for:
https://diarts-tech.com/product/1-port-internal-usb-c-usb-3-1-gen-2-10g-m-2-card/

It seems like the Asmedia ASM2142 is supported in MacOS but I need to research further. Unless you guys can confirm such from your knowledge? Thanks for your help!