Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I think your definition of statistically impossible differs from what is more often used

I’m pretty sure “statistically impossible” isn’t a thing. I’m guessing you got that 10^-50 number from the same StackExchange article I found searching for the phrase— I can’t find any authoritative reference for the phrase though.

Something can be statistically possible while practically impossible— it’s statistically possible to flip heads 1000 times, but you aren’t going to do it in your lifetime, or if you take a gaussian distribution out far enough on the tails it still has a non-zero probability but you’ve reached the physical limits of the system in question.

It’s possible to be statistically insignificant, which doesn’t say anything about the likelihood of the event, and merely means you don’t have enough data to determine one way or the other.

I think someone used a bogus phrase looking to add credibility to a bogus argument and you and @TiggrToo are trying to map a formal definition to language that doesn’t exist. Perhaps they meant “impossible” and think adding the “statistically” modifier sounds cool, or maybe they mean “unlikely”.

Jimbonatius

Suspended
May 1, 2021
Disagree with someone? Call them a name and let the relief wash over you! You can stop thinking about anything they have said after that. I love employing this tactic, it's very easy and convenient. I can stay the course with no need to challenge myself whatsoever.
Aka you're not here to have any valid discussions but to just troll people. What a pathetic person you are. Not to mention, the video with boot times. Really, that's your metric? What a joke.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Multi billion dollar company posts advert for a single engineer with RISC-V experience.

Oh noes everyone! They're dumping ARM!! Quick, buy a PC!

Also, read the article: "possibly", "exploring", "may be", "theorizes", "may save the company money"

Posting a piece of creative writing to back up your own fiction. Power move.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The number of time I have to boot, reboot, my M1 MBA the past month is… 1.

So why is this relevant?

(if you want to know the number I used to boot, reboot, my PC in a month, it’s close to 25)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

This is a single position for programming a low-level accelerator (and from the job description is appears like Appel is already using. ams RISC-V core somewhere in the system). It doesn't mean anything for Apple ARM strategy.

By the way, did you know that Intel sells RISC-V CPUs? Why aren't you sounding alarm that all your precious x86 software will become lost, since Intel is so obviously abandoning the x86 business?

Reactions: TopToffee

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
did you know that Intel sells RISC-V CPUs
They sell arm based chips as well. Runs its own firmware, "proprietary and closed", and the packet pipeline for this have to be programmed "the Intel way".
HC33-Intel-Mount-Evans-DPU-IPU-Compute-Complex.jpg

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
You guys let a troll sucker you writing replying 4 pages of replies (so far).

I guess I'm one of them. :)
I especially love the argument the commenter made about how it’s difficult or not yet possible to run various console emulators, ergo, the M1 is basically useless (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-chip-fast-my-ass.2316273/post-30419666). If this person/bot is saying anything true, what's likely is this person/bot equates a computer with gaming: "I had around 430 [Steam games] and lost about 385." (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-chip-fast-my-ass.2316273/post-30419351)

This is great comedy and almost clever trolling. We shouldn’t reward bad behavior but this thread has been pretty fun.

• Haha
Reactions: TopToffee

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Most of you guys probably don't remember when computers were first hitting the consumer market. Back then coders had to have really have strict coding practices as they didn't have the luxury of memory and fast processors. From what I read ARM M1 chips go back to basic assembly language (machine language) and today's coder's are not used to think in this manner. What I mean they didn't have to worry about too much about having tight code. Well, at least this is my opinion. This is also Apples first generation of the M1 and all the developers are getting used to this new architecture. Programmers also have to take all the old code and convert it natively to the M1.

Just have to add, good programmers write good tight code anyways. You can make any computer that is a speed demon a slow poke with poorly writing Operating Systems and Applications.

Reactions: Nightfury326

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Most of you guys probably don't remember when computers were first hitting the consumer market. Back then coders had to have really have strict coding practices as they didn't have the luxury of memory and fast processors. From what I read ARM M1 chips go back to basic assembly language (machine language) and today's coder's are not used to think in this manner.

Where did your dad that? It's complete nonsense.

What I mean they didn't have to worry about too much about having tight code. Well, at least this is my opinion. This is also Apples first generation of the M1 and all the developers are getting used to this new architecture. Programmers also have to take all the old code and convert it natively to the M1.

What? Most programmers will only need to click "build" on their existing software to have it native ARM. Some people, who have been writing low-level x86-specific code, will of course have to redesign those parts.

It is true that M1 have much more to offer. The ARM CPUs Apple uses have some advanced features that x86 lacks, Appel GPUs can be programmed beyond the level of regular desktop GPUs, there are built-in ML accelerators and all that kind of stuff. But you don't need to take advantage of any of this just to have your software run natively on M1.

Fun fact: I wrote a large amount of small utilities and data analysis code (mostly in C/C++/Rust) over the last 15 years. All of them compiled to native ARM on the first try and they run very well.

Reactions: bousozoku

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
M1 chip is made for iPad Pro first. It has all the limitations of the A12Z. That is only supports 2 screens and 16GB ram max. SSD only up to 2TB. Very few PCIe lanes.

I am waiting for real Mac chip. I want power, not a chip made for thin computers. I am waiting for real Mac SoCs, ones that rival the 5900HX in performance and the GPU that rivals the 3060.

the M1 chip needs more monitors support and more IO for faster Boot.

iPhones boot faster than macs, Linux does too.

Reactions: Irishman

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For the tl;dr: M1 is fast, but it all depends on the buyer's needs and preferences.

I don't usually post in the M1 forum, but here's my $.02 cents.

To my knowledge, recent versions of macOS tend to be really slow on boot up, this isn't an indictment of the hardware but rather the boot sequence of macOS is really slow.

It seems that people are questioning the comparison of the 14" Razer against the M1 - but why not?
The RTX 3070 model of the Razer which imo is the best buy, costs 2,200 (16 GB of ram, 1TB of storage). A similarly equipped 13" M1 MBP with 1TB of storage and 16GB of ram is 1,900. Close enough that these are comparable products.

With that said, people buy Macs for the experience and reputation, where as people avoid Razers due to their reputation. (though its gotten better but yes Razer has had a poor rep in the past). Now I say this as a Razer owner and I love my 2019 model Razer Blade Advanced (15" model). The build quality is top notch, and its been working flawlessly with daily use (knocks on wood).

Performance wise, it appears that the M1 is a bit faster at least that's what Cinebench R23 is reporting. The
Razer 14" Cinebench r23 all cores 11554 whereas the M1 MBP Cinebench r23 all cores 1498.
GPU performance is the polar opposite though I failed to find the exact same benchmarks but based on my what i did find, I'm of the opinion the Razer is eating the M1's lunch and its really not even close to.

Battery life Apple reports 20 hours, and razer report 12 hours - another nod to Apple.

So imo, daily productivity the M1 has a slight edge, but not enough that I would say it should be the tipping point in a buying decision. Especially if GPU performance is a want or must have - whether its game playing or needing it for other apps.

If you find yourself using a laptop away from the mains and are on the battery - well its obvious that the M1 wins.

Basically, my long winded post boils down to what your individual use case is, what your needs are and what is important. For me, if i were to buy a laptop today, I most certainly buy the Razer, simply because
1. GPU is important to me
2. Battery life is not
3. Running windows is a major need

In summary, you really cannot go wrong with the M1, its a fantastic laptop with amazing battery life, and in all honesty, the M1's performance is surprisingly fast. Think about it, how many generations has it taken AMD to release a CPU that has this level of performance and yet Apple's very first CPU out of the gate is just as fast, but doesn't consume anywhere near as much power.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Phones boot faster than macs, Linux does too.
Who cares.

Rebooting is such a rarity on Macs, and linux that its really a non-issue, and while my windows uptime tends to be very good, windows does benefit more from rebooting then macOS. In the end its how you use the machine, not how fast you boot up

M1 chip is made for iPad Pro first. It has all the limitations of the A12Z. That is only supports 2 screens and 16GB ram max. SSD only up to 2TB. Very few PCIe lanes.
In photography there's something called pixel peeping, where someone zooms in on an image to such a degree and look over every single pixel. They see something at that zoom rate they don't like, and complain about the camera. I think that's what you're doing. You're zooming in on individual elements of the laptop and calling it bad because of what you see without really consider how well they all work together.

To put it another way, look at how fantastic the M1 is, being an A12Z and basically besting both Ryzen and Intel

The M1 has limitations, yes. The Razer has limitations, a Thinkpad has limitations, it boils down to, how one machine best fits your use case and not fast the OS boots - just my $.02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.