Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gevalt

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
nyc
like others, i'm very surprised that apple has taken a huge step backwards and that these new machines appear appear to be limited to 16Gb ram. even today's i9 imacs can go up to 128Gb.

i was also kinda surprised that at 24" they appear to be a '1 size fits all' solution, although there was another rumor that apple might be working on a larger imac to be released at a later date, just as they've released an M1 13" macbook pro but not a 16".

so we'll just have to see what happens.

in the meantime i'm quite happy with my imac pro refurb that i got last year.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Looks ok to me in terms of specs and costs - pretty much as expected isn't it? I think it will sell bucketloads as an all purpose desktop Mac - I'm thinking a lot of us on here aren't the target market.

Also it looks like the path is clear for the iMac Pro doesn't it? Larger screen, more ports, higher-performance CPU, GPU, more RAM options etc.

FaceID too maybe?

Reactions: catean

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Can't seem to find it on the  page but during the presentation, they pointed out the ethernet port on the power brick. I don't recall them saying that was on an upgraded unit.
It is not available on the base model. The config page shows it and they did flash it up during the keynote too. Ethernet is only available on the higher priced model or as an add-on for base model and it is always via the brick. The base model by default comes with a standard power brick that lacks ethernet.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I know its very personal but I find new iMacs ugly like hell. I mean back is grat but front is horrendous. I don't get the idea behind the design. It is a desktop. Who cares ig its 11 mm or 22mm thick. Why the chin...And I would think that the 8GB RAM is on the low side in all of the models. Why the more expensive versions don't have 16GB is a mystery to me. Im also not convinced when it comes to power brick. Its just increasing the overall cable clutter
I think the chin may be there for the system board, cooling and to compensate the height of the computer, so it doesn't sit too low on there desk; raising the stand wouldn't work as it will make it unstable.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
This iMac makes no sense.

4.5k on a 24” screen is wasteful, and that’s the bulk of cost of the machine. You’re essentially paying for a $600 Mac mini integrated into a $900 24” LCD display.

they missed the chance of giving the iMac an entry level price point of $999 with still a good display. You just don’t need these many pixels in such a tiny display.
I’m not buying a non-retina display iMac.

A Mac mini and $900 24” integrated display is exactly what I want. The Mac mini forum is full of issues with all classes of displays. I’d buy a mini if apple had a reasonably priced branded display.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
The 24" with a power adapter of 143W...that means apple is thinking way ahead with the next M3 M4 chips that will require that power or they created 1 power adapter for the 24" and for the bigger 30" imac ?!
Someone is paying attention ?

I bet they have bigger plans. Perhaps the power supply is for more than just the iMac...?

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I won’t even mention not getting 4 USB ports on the base model. The design just kills me. The color on the back looks ok, but the pastel like color on the front is very feminine looking. And if they’re going to keep the chin, at least put the Apple logo. It’s like they were still finishing designing it and just said, “Screw it, good enough.”

Last edited:

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
If I hadn’t just bought a M1 Mac mini and LG 5K display I would lap one of these up immediately. Great new design, well done Apple ?

my only gripe is the omission of an old fashioned usb slot.
Curious - why you would get this instead of what you have? Sound similar.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.