Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I have an M1 MacBook Air and 2 LG 27UL850 4K monitors. I want to run both displays @4K/60Hz from my MBA using just a single USB-C cable to the dock while it also charges. Can anyone recommend a good dock to accomplish this? Every one I read about on Amazon is littered with complaints.

Another question, I know this requires Displayport and the software that accompanies it. However some of the docks connect to the MacBook Air via Thunderbolt. I read that TB supports only 1 monitor, is this the case if the MacBook Air is connected to the dock via TB but the monitors are connected via Displayport? I think this would still be limited to 1 display as the connection to the dock would be the limiting factor but would like to verify that.

Thanks!

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
M1 only supports 2 monitor outputs and on the laptops one of them is used for the built in display, so what you want cannot be done.

There are thunderbolt docks that have a built in video card with multiple outputs and those can drive multiple monitors, but they won’t work on the M1 macs because there are no drivers for them. They will and do work on intel macs.

manongjoseph

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2019
I got a Dell WD15 which I plugin to an M1 MBA which allow plugging in an external monitor and two Display Link USB to LCD dongles. It is magical.
were you able to use the hdmi, mini DP and the VGA as extended displays? and what did you do to make it work?

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
I'm working with a company that has received major funding this past year to hire up people working from home. We've ordered and configured Dell Lattitudes with WD19 docks for multiple monitors, and a significant amount of the fleet on Macs, now slowly changing over to M1s.

I sent out WD19 docks to many Mac users at first. (Admittedly 2020 Intel models at the time.) While they do work, the Dell docks receive periodic firmware updates, and they are not stable without them. Want a firmware update? Well, good luck without a PC. Particularly Dell Command Update, which is their OEM driver updater. (Which, honestly, doesn't suck, unlike similar such programs for HP and Lenovo I've used in the past.)

I've been using SOHO CalDigit docks for M1s and legacy Intel Macs with Thunderbolt. So far, they all work. 4K @60hz, power pass-through. It's not going to support more than one monitor on an M1, but I thus recommend you get a bigger monitor.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I ordered a Dell D6000 which should get the job done. I’ll report back once I receive it and set it up.
Where you able to get it to work?

I've recently tried a D6000 on my MBA M1 and could not get the display port(s) working to either my LG 27" 850 or my Dell U27290Q. I tried with both the current and beta DisplayLink software as I had installed Monterey. All the other ports on it seem fine, just can't get either DisplayPort to work.

Reactions: zoltm

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
I got a Dell WD15 which I plugin to an M1 MBA which allow plugging in an external monitor and two Display Link USB to LCD dongles. It is magical.
@dogslobber Would you please point me to a link for the DisplayLink USB to LCD dongles? Which version of the DisplayLink driver that you run in your M1 MB? I heard that the latest Apple Silicon based driver (version 1.x) is indeed buggy and people have to run the old Intel x86 coded DisplayLink driver 5.x! There are driver for both version in Big Sur!

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
@dogslobber Would you please point me to a link for the DisplayLink USB to LCD dongles? Which version of the DisplayLink driver that you run in your M1 MB? I heard that the latest Apple Silicon based driver (version 1.x) is indeed buggy and people have to run the old Intel x86 coded DisplayLink driver 5.x! There are driver for both version in Big Sur!
This one linked below.

DisplayLink Manager:

Version: 5.7.120 (0)

Source: 3rd Party

Install Date: 7/24/21, 5:33 PM

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
This one linked below.

DisplayLink Manager:

Version: 5.7.120 (0)

Source: 3rd Party

Install Date: 7/24/21, 5:33 PM

@dogslobber Thanks for getting back and share the link for the DisplayLink dongle from Cable Matters. You seems to confirm that the 5.x driver should indeed be the one to go with, despite there is a native 1.x M1 DisplayLink Manager driver.

However, may I know where you could obtain download the above mentioned 5.7.120 driver? I look it this https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/macos I failed to find the 5.7.120 driver that you mentioned.

Other than the Cable Matters that you mentioned I found one from Kensington which should also work, https://www.kensington.com/p/produc...gton-vu4000-usb-3.0-to-hdmi-4k-video-adapter/ .

Cheers and thanks.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
@dogslobber Thanks for getting back and share the link for the DisplayLink dongle from Cable Matters. You seems to confirm that the 5.x driver should indeed be the one to go with, despite there is a native 1.x M1 DisplayLink Manager driver.

However, may I know where you could obtain download the above mentioned 5.7.120 driver? I look it this https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/macos I failed to find the 5.7.120 driver that you mentioned.

Other than the Cable Matters that you mentioned I found one from Kensington which should also work, https://www.kensington.com/p/produc...gton-vu4000-usb-3.0-to-hdmi-4k-video-adapter/ .

Cheers and thanks.
Their version numbering seems confusing. I have "DisplayLink Manager 1.4.0 (Build 57.120)" installed. See v1.4 in the legacy releases here below.

FWIW, I just tried the 1.4 driver on Monterry 12.0.1 and it was as smooth as silk. I didn't upgrade to v 1.5. Good luck!

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
Where you able to get it to work?

I've recently tried a D6000 on my MBA M1 and could not get the display port(s) working to either my LG 27" 850 or my Dell U27290Q. I tried with both the current and beta DisplayLink software as I had installed Monterey. All the other ports on it seem fine, just can't get either DisplayPort to work.
Do let us know if the D6000 serves your dual display purpose? I read from some other cohorts reporting the D6000 is quite hot when it operates in dual display mode!

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
I ran across this YT video from Plugable, I think it's pretty clear on explaining how to use a DisplayLink equipped dock to add extra display support to the M1 based Mac.

By watching the recent M1 Pro and M1 Max launch video, I start to build up the understanding of this "no of display supported in the M1 chips", as follow,

1. The base M1 chip has a "Display Engine" (the GPU like premise), it is capable of driving 2 display at a time.
2. Thus for the headless Mac Mini, can support 2 native driven displays; while the MacBook Air / Pro, could merely support 1 native external display with the Built in Retina display.
3. In order to get more external display support for the base M1 Mac, one have to add an extra "GPU" to the system bus, Thunderbolt ports on the M1 Mac, and install an external driver (the DisplayLink Manager) for the added GPU support to drive those extra external displays supported.
4. Most of those DisplayLink chip set included in the docking station would offer support for TWO extra displays.
5. Base on assumption / understanding above, for those who has a main HiRes display, that wants to be used with the MBA or MBP, best to be direct connected to the M1 TB4 bus directly, hence direct driven off the M1 on dice native "Display Engine". While leaving the secondary displays (1-2 displays) connected to the DisplayLink chip in the added docking station.

I would love if there are other more knowledgable cohorts in the forum could comment on the above understanding and further polish it to actual reality.

There are trade off with this non-Apple native solution.

p.s. It is how I understand why M1 Pro could support 2 external displays, while the M1 Max could support 4 external displays. The M1 Pro probably has 2 "Display Engine" while the M1 Max has 3 "Display Engine".

Last edited:

HisInfernal

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
Hello everyone!
I have MBA 2020 m1 with MacOS 12 Monterey. Finally my Dell TB16 arrived and I was unplesantly surprised to find out that HDMI/DisplayPort/miniDP are not working anymore. Maybe you will have any clue how this can be fixed and do I need to install DisplayLink at all?
Of course in System information Dell hub is marked as - Unsupported, but all usb 3.0 ports, same as audio 3.5" seems to be working just fine. But, reason to buy this hub was to use DisplayPort at least.

Any help will be appreciated.

Quick update: Installing DisplayLink app hasn't fixed the problem for me.

Last edited:

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Well it's been quite a while since I first posted this. I finally had an opportunity to setup my MacBook Air M1 with the Dell D6000 dock. I am sad to report that it did not work at all. When I plug the dock in MacOS makes a sound indicating that it knows a device was plugged in. However in the system report it is absent. In addition in the DsiplayLink manager it says monitor not detected. I am using a USB-C cable from the MBA to the D6000 and Displaylink from the D6000 to each LG 27UL850 monitor.

Does anyone have any idea why this is absolutely not working at all?

Thanks.

jimm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2022
Well it's been quite a while since I first posted this. I finally had an opportunity to setup my MacBook Air M1 with the Dell D6000 dock. I am sad to report that it did not work at all. When I plug the dock in MacOS makes a sound indicating that it knows a device was plugged in. However in the system report it is absent. In addition in the DsiplayLink manager it says monitor not detected. I am using a USB-C cable from the MBA to the D6000 and Displaylink from the D6000 to each LG 27UL850 monitor.

Does anyone have any idea why this is absolutely not working at all?

Thanks.
From another forum some interesting detail that will explain what is going on with the D6000 with respect to USBC

"In contact with DisplayLink support, I have received this answer:
The case with D6000 is that it is using two technologies. One of them is called Alt-mode it is only working when you are using USB-C. Alt-mode is responsible for raising HDMI monitor (the only one you use in your case). When the Alt-mode technology is active the 2nd part of the docking station (DisplayLink) is not working at start if it is not needed. Due to it you may see the information that the monitors are not detected.
DisplayLink chipset is responsible for bringing two DP monitors and if needed cooperate with Alt-mode when more than one monitor is connected.
To overcome this you can either plug in your D6000 with USB-A this will force your device to use DisplayLink at start or you can plug in your monitor into the DP port if possible.
Beside this you can try as you did re-plugging because it is the OS that decides which technology got the priority."

Attribution: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/lr321f
So in summary - do not use the USBC connection to the MacBook if you want the D6000 USB ports to work (that includes D6000 ethernet). Use the USB-A via a USB-A to USB-C dongle. I am using this connection now and am using a USB connected scanner and the D6000 ethernet. I have also upgraded to the latest Display link drivers for the M1 (v1.6) but cannot comment on connectivity just yet.
Downside - the D6000 will not power the MacBook in this configuration.

Reactions: JPack

jimm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2022
Update to this. I have upgraded the D6000 dock using a windoze platform (from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 or such per DELL website). I am using USB-C connection now and HDMI connection to a single 34inch monitor (DP connections not used) so the above does not apply. ie running in ALT-mode as defined above and thus displaylink drivers should not be involved. I have working USB devices - scanner and gig ethernet.

BUT all connections (video, eth and usb) via the dock can randomly go to hell and gone. I will update when I can define specific circumstances.

nusynergy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Kent - UK
I ordered a Dell D6000 which should get the job done. I’ll report back once I receive it and set it up.
I have the Dell D6000, it works but with a couple of issues.

1. You have to use DisplayLink software which can be a bit temperamental. Sometimes I have to reboot the MacBook to get the software to detect the dock again after undocking. Often the USB ports on the dock will not been seen by the Mac only to randomly start working again later on and for what ever reason I can't get the sound to pass through the dock to the monitor. It shows DELL USB Audio in system preferences but when selected no sound comes out.

2. It doesn't support 4k 60fps. In fact I don't think it supports 60fps at any resolution through the HDMI or DP ports.

Im using a Benq 4k monitor that supports 60fps and it works if I plug directly into the USB-C port on the monitor just not through the dock.

I don't play many games on the MacBook Air. Occasionally World of Warcraft. It looks great at 1440p 60fps through the USB-c Port. Just not that great through the dock.

Hope this helps.

jkmags

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
I use a Dell D6000 with my M1 Air and it does work for me after a couple steps (with 1 monitor, haven't tested multiple).
1. I had to update to the latest ver via USB and a Windows PC running the Dell Update program found on their site for the D6000
2.I only have 1 28in 4k monitor that needs to be connected to the HDMI port to work, other display ports don't work.
3.I have found everything works as long as the USBC is plugged into the M1 Air before booting it up. As long as it stays plugged in everything works and I can let it go to sleep and wake it using the keyboard and or mouse from the docking station but it does take ~10 seconds to refresh the screen to allow me to log back in without opening the lid on the M1 Air.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I just got a M1 Macbook Air and happen to have a Dell D6000 dock from awhile back. I updated the Dell D6000 to the latest firmware from August 2021 with my Windows PC, but still am not able to get the M1 Macbook Air working via DisplayPort to my 34" ultrawide 3440x1440. It only works via the HDMI port on the D6000 dock but then I only get 1920x1080 resolution. Has anyone gotten the D6000 working on Displayport to an external monitor? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.