Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamuelZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
Stony Brook, NY
It's still unknown that if this is a software limitation like the tb2 ports. Considering that the ARM MacBooks only got 2 tb3 ports, maybe just the pic-e lanes on M1 is so limited to support the bandwidth of eGPU

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
So what about software like Adobe, cinema4d, Maya? Will they have to rewrite it or does it just work? in emulator mode? Guess apple is just killing all nvidia support :(
Adobe software will all be updated for the new Apple Silicon and run much faster than on the Intel macs. Don't know about Maya, but assume they will support it (otherwise they had stupid management). They don't have to rewrite the software but do some fixes and changes, but the big work is 3party libraries that all have to support ARM64.

PortoMavericks

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2016
Gotham City
Adobe software will all be updated for the new Apple Silicon and run much faster than on the Intel macs. Don't know about Maya, but assume they will support it (otherwise they had stupid management). They don't have to rewrite the software but do some fixes and changes, but the big work is 3party libraries that all have to support ARM64.
Soon™.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
It would've been nice of Apple to clarify whether all this — memory straight in the SoC, integrated graphics only, etc. — only applies to the M1. That would be my guess, but some of the phrasing made it sound like it applies to all ARM Macs, in which case, ew?

mike...

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008

Careful, Apple said Photoshop was coming "early next year". Not all Adobe software is ready for next week's launch.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Ya mean like HR, Sales, Marketing, any and all manager types, clerical folks, receptionists, etc., etc. ? /s I actually think they'd be able to struggle through their workday with these M1 systems.
Yes, imagine how many people care more about external GPUs or user-upgradable RAM than battery life. There's always that guy. The dude who shouts from the back of the audience that he uses a desktop PC and a mechanical keyboard.

I've got a Mac Pro but don't act like everyone else does. In fact I assume most people think MBP when I say "Mac Pro."

ktecac

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Could be wrong but I felt like this batch is primarily targeted towards christmas shopping (air will be excellent for almost any non-pro) and then with a machine for developers and other pros working on / ready to transition to new paradigm ASAP (mac mini, mBP)
I think we’ll get the more powerful machines a lot of us are after in 2021. To me the big launch here for apple is getting out the Air before Christmas - but since it’s relatively easy to make a mbp and mini version on this chip they added them as kind of extras. A lot of iOS devs are gonna wanna take advantage of the fact their apps will work seamlessly on macs now with limited effort.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
That lack of eGPU support is disappointing but unsurprising. The GPU however is much faster so it is possible I don't need a eGPU for Capture One anymore.

Reactions: KeithBN

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
No Windows Bootcamp support, no egpu support... This gets less and less appealing to gamers.

I think in the next 3 year the new Macs with Apple silicon will be great at gaming.
In the next year i hope apple will release an Apple TV pro with an a15x or something, and it will evolve in a platform next to playstation, X-box and PC with blockbuster console games instead of just good mobile games.

It would be the next logical step for apple . Console gaming is a huge market, and apple is missing out.

Reactions: Si Vis Pacem

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
I guess if you need an eGPU you wouldn’t start out with a MacBook Air, low end pro or the mini anyway. Assume the more high end arm models will support it
I guess if you need an eGPU you wouldn’t start out with a MacBook Air, low end pro or the mini anyway. Assume the more high end arm models will support it
Why? I had the 2019 Air for portability reasons, and used it with the eGPU on my desktop for Adobe. Pity the TB3 implementation was so faulty, I had to return it.
Passing on this generation!

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
No Windows Bootcamp support, no egpu support... This gets less and less appealing to gamers.
In fairness I don't think it's for the gaming crowd really? I'd be more concerned about the gfx bit playing up and boom.... Goodbye whole cpu.

Happened on my laptop. Amd discrete burnt out, at least I still have the Intel igpu.

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
They also support less displays. MBP supports one external display, down from two. Mac Mini supports two external displays (one of which must be HDMI), down from three.
That’s really surprising! So my 7 year old MBP supports more displays than a state of the art M1 MBP??!! Pretty disappointing. Two external displays with so many people working from home is hardly a niche market.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
so funny. to listen to gamers, no respectable gamer uses a Mac anyway. However if you check the leaked benchmarks (assuming they are actually real), the graphics speed of these is awesome without add ons.

Reactions: KeithBN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.