Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asa-Turner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
M1 MacBook Air screen Burn ? only had it for 6 hours gutted ?

Attachments

• IMG_2148.jpeg
    IMG_2148.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 7,544
  • IMG_2150.jpeg
    IMG_2150.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 483

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Probably a defective unit. Send it back and get a new one if a reboot doesn't make it go away.

Reactions: Asa-Turner

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
Memory of the display controller maybe.. Looks like screen replacement is needed at least

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Some of these look really bad but as far as I'm aware these screens can't suffer from burn in - and certainly not in 6 hours. It must be something else, to my mind.
And telling someone to just get a replacement is probably no real help at all. They just aren't readily available.
If you waited 4 or 5 weeks for the first one it's not very tempting to wait the same again for a replacement.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Some of these look really bad but as far as I'm aware these screens can't suffer from burn in - and certainly not in 6 hours. It must be something else, to my mind.
And telling someone to just get a replacement is probably no real help at all. They just aren't readily available.
If you waited 4 or 5 weeks for the first one it's not very tempting to wait the same again for a replacement.
If it is a defective unit there isn't much else that can be done except advise to get a replacement. You certainly aren't going to fix what appears to be a hardware problem with some magic fix.

Also, this might be a recent bad batch considering I've never seen this problem reported before and here we have three people who have had the same issue. It's possible that Apple doesn't know about it and they need returns to be made aware.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my opinion, Apple should move replacement orders to the front of the line, or create more stock on hand for replacements.

These screens look defective. You are right about the burn in. It's not going to happen in less than a day.

Last edited:

Tchakatak

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2020
In my opinion, Apple should move replacement orders to the front of the line, or create more stock on hand for replacements.

These screens look defective. You re right about the burn in. It's not going to happen in less than a day.
In that case you would not have a full unit but a repair in apple store. A screen its between 2 and 5 days in general. As this is an “old” design they already have tones of the spare parts in general in house.

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
2003 wants its display back.

Sounds like a bad batch. The current LCDs are a rather mature technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.