Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro with an M1 chip replaces the lower-end MacBook Pro models that were previously available, and Apple is continuing to sell it right alongside higher-end models that continue to feature Intel chips.

macbook-pro-m1-chip.jpg

Apple introduced the Intel-equipped MacBook Pro models in May 2020. They're available for $1,799 and $1,999 alongside the $1,299 and $1,499 M1 MacBook Pro models.

Because the M1 MacBook Pro models are replacing the lower-end models, it's worth noting that the machines have just two USB-C ports that offer Thunderbolt 3 and USB 4, while the higher-end models have four ports.

The Mac mini models with M1 chips, priced at $699 and $899 depending on storage, are also being sold alongside an older Intel-equipped Mac mini model. The MacBook Air models, however, use M1 chips across the board and Apple no longer offers a MacBook Air with an Intel chip.

Despite the transition to Apple Silicon, Apple plans to continue to support Intel chips for years to come. Apps built using the new Universal App binary will be able to run on both Apple Silicon and Intel Macs going forward.

Article Link: M1 MacBook Pro Replaces Low-End Model, Higher-End Intel Options Still Available

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Serban55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2020
M1 is limiting just for 2 usb4/thunderbolt ports thats why Apple replace the BASE 13" Macbook pro with 2 ports and not the 4 ports 13" MBP (that you can still buy)
The high end 13" MBP and 16" Mbp will have 4 ports so Apple will come with M2 or whatever

Comment

iObama

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
Little concerned about this -- my work, a K-12 school district, has an order of 100 of those base model 8th gen pros that we haven't seen show up in our Apple Device Enrollment Program. (The 10th gen models were too far out of our price range, the new Airs hit 100* in no time at all.)

As much as I'd love to not be deploying 8th gen Intel hardware for a five year computer refresh cycle, I'm not thrilled about the potential of that order not going through and us getting 100 ARM Macs with zero experience in real-world enterprise usage.

Comment

Freida

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, its just a tease. M1 is not good enough for 16" MBP yet. So Apple has no other choice. Until they can match GPU then will have to wait.

Reactions: idktbh
Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
Apple announced an all-time record high revenue for Mac in the previous quarter.

I'm sure Apple could launch high-end models today. But it doesn't make sense to risk with what's already working and selling very well. Buyers who use their Mac for real productivity can't rely on the Mac App Store, at least not yet.

Comment

Serban55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2020
So are the Intel Macs still considered to be faster, more powerful? If not, why are the M1's being positioned as lower end?
That M1 can outperformed any, ANY windows OEM 12" 13" 14" !
It is a lower end APPLE SILICON MAC because Apple will not place M1 into a 16" Macbook pro or imacs because , M1 alone cannot sustain more than 2 ports of usb4/thunderbolt

Comment

applicious84

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2020
It's wild how much they described improved performance in these new (lower end models) compared with the higher end models, but kept those in the higher end market

Reactions: writerinserepeat
Comment

tandras84

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
How they gonna call the chip designated for higher end MacBook Pro or iMac? They still need to keep the numbering for the coming generations. M1 Pro? Or simply M2? Then later the low end can also get the M2?

Comment

SDJim

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2017
San Diego, CA
So are the Intel Macs still considered to be faster, more powerful? If not, why are the M1's being positioned as lower end?
No, but many Pro's rely on capabilities not yet supported by Apple Silicon, including more than 16GB of RAM, running Windows natively (Bootcamp, etc.), and many pro and enterprise-level apps only run on Intel x86 architecture currently.

Comment

SDJim

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2017
San Diego, CA
Little known fact, if you are coming from a 4 port model to the 2 port model your wifi speed will be cut by a third as the two port design (if not changed) only has 2x2 wifi instead of 3x3.
Vast oversimplification. The new inclusion of WiFi 6 and the nature of one's WiFi routing setup along with the maximum speed of an individual's internet all matter immensely to the ultimate WiFi speed seen on-device. Not all WiFi setups and workflows even take advantage of increased MIMO functionality.

Reactions: MagMan1979
Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
And like I said, there's still room for the Intel versions.

Sure, 32GBs may be overkill, but it's not if you plan on owning your machine for 5+ years.

Happy with the improvements, but if I were looking for a new machine now I'd buy a used machine and wait until the M1+ or M2 (the next chip with more RAM and better GPU)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.