Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It is possible to run up to six external displays from the M1 Mac mini, and five external displays from the M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, with the aid of DisplayPort adapters, according to YouTuber Ruslan Tulupov. This far exceeds Apple's specified limits on external displays with the M1 Macs.

new-mac-mini-logicpro-screen.jpg

Apple's host of new M1 Macs are not capable of supporting as many external displays as their Intel-based predecessors by default. The previous Intel-based MacBook Air could run one external 6K or 5K display or up to two external 4K displays, and the previous Intel-based MacBook Pro could run one external 5K display or up to two external 4K displays. The 2018 Intel-based Mac mini could run up to three 4K displays, or one 5K and one 4K display.

Apple says that the M1 MacBook Air and M1 MacBook Pro can run one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz. The M1 Mac mini can run one display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI 2.0. This means that each new M1 Mac can run one less display than the model it replaced.

However, Tulupov has discovered that it is possible to run as many as six external displays from the M1 Mac mini, and five external displays from the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, using a workaround. This is achieved using DisplayPort adapters and DisplayLink software to drive the additional displays. When the M1 Mac's ports have been filled, DisplayPort adapters have to be connected via an external dock to provide more ports.

Tulupov used a mix of external displays, ranging from 4K to 1080p, as the Mac's Thunderbolt ports do not have the bandwidth to simultaneously run six 4K displays at full resolution. Users would therefore still have to be selective about their external display setup when it comes to resolutions.

In testing, running full-resolution videos across the various displays at the same time as rendering in Final Cut Pro, Tulupov found performance to be "awesome," with very few frames being dropped. When closing and opening the MacBook Air, the displays behaved as expected, and the setup seems to be more than adequate for daily use.

Tulupov noted that he did not test this setup with Sidecar for the iPad, but it may still be possible to run Sidecar in addition to the external displays for even more screen space.

In a separate video, Tulupov explained how to go about connecting additional external displays to an M1 Mac using a DisplayPort adapter. The process simply involves installing DisplayLink drivers, which are already Big Sur-compatible, and connecting the adapter via USB-C.

The workaround solution may offer a lifeline to users who were disappointed at the M1 Mac's limited external display capabilities.

Article Link: M1 Macs Able to Run Up to Six External Displays Using DisplayLink

Last edited:

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
This great news. Lots of people are in the market for a $700 Mac mini to drive $6,000 worth of 4K monitors, along with a $1,000 eGPU.
You'd be surprised. I am currently using a Mac mini M1 with my Apple XDR display and it works great. I am sure some people will scuff at the idea of running a $6000 display with a $1000 computer but with the M1 it works amazingly well. Similarly, not everyone will benefit from a multi display setup but it is nice that the capability is there.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 10.32.54 AM.png

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Doesn’t DisplayLink require drivers that don’t receive GPU hardware acceleration? I haven’t used DisplayLink in a long time but I though that was a down side of it..?
Yes, but it should be OK for text, or anything else not requiring GPU acceleration.

Reactions: torncanvas

bklement

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2019
I don’t know either.... but give it ten minutes and someone will be in here complaining that to can’t do 10 displays.
Funny, I feel the same about all the people wanting to edit their lame family videos in 4k and complaining about throttling.

Reactions: Vazor

clive27

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Me wondering what would someone do with 5-6 external displays...
When I used to work in the office (yea, I'm that old), we had 4 displays (1 for email and skype, 2 for coding, 1 for reference). I could have certainly used more monitors for more references, instructions, 6 compilers. I think I can utilize up to 6 monitors for productivity. More than that, it won't really benefit my productivity.
Now I'm home, I use two ultra-wide monitors (34 and 35inches) and one standard 27inch. That's equivalent to 5 monitors for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.