Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Hi All! Noob here. I've read the new M1 MBP can drive and support 6K display. Does anyone know if it will be able to support LG's 34 inch 5K2K ultra wide display (5120 x 2160)? It has far less pixels than the Pro Display XDR though I know the number of pixels is not dispositive by any means.

thanks in advance!
I am using the M1 Mini with one of the LG 5K2K.
It is connected via TB3 and functions as monitor and USB HUB (monitor sends 89 watts, why can't it do power also?)

The monitor and USB hub works.
Sometimes, but not always, the monitor doesn't wake up quickly from TB3. The computer is on and unlocked, but nothing is display from the Mac. I can bring up the menu on the monitor. If I switch to another input and back, it usually comes up quickly.

I had this same issue with my Intel MB Pro, so it does not seem to be an M1 issue. I even sent the monitor back to LG and they 'fixed' something.

That said, I DO love the 34" ultrawide.

roderik

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
I got myself a Dell UltraSharp 40 Curved WUHD Monitor - U4021QW (so 5k2k 40") and it works and looks great. Highest rate with SwitchResX is indeed 3008x1269 @ 60Hz (you can go full 5k but it is just too small and I like HiDPI) Text size is just a smidge too large, I could use one HiDPI resolution bigger, but it seems I have to wait for the M1X for that.

Reactions: itsphilgeorge

Wolf1701

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
I got myself a Dell UltraSharp 40 Curved WUHD Monitor - U4021QW (so 5k2k 40") and it works and looks great. Highest rate with SwitchResX is indeed 3008x1269 @ 60Hz (you can go full 5k but it is just too small and I like HiDPI) Text size is just a smidge too large, I could use one HiDPI resolution bigger, but it seems I have to wait for the M1X for that.
Thinkertool can help a lot with the text size

CodyCanna

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2021
Hello All! (Newb to the forum here)

I wanted to chime in because I recently got rid of my 27" iMac and went with a new 13" MBP with the M1 Chip and the LG 5k2k 34" monitor. This thread helped a lot in making that choice so I thought I would give my 2 cents.

On initial setup everything was working great at the stated 3008x1269 res and using the DisplayPort 1.2 setting on the provided thunderbolt cable that came with the monitor.

Recently I have been having issues with the monitor waking up after the MBP goes to sleep and then today I could not get the monitor to wake up at all. The monitor would tell me there was no signal coming in. It would work if the MBP was open, but it would not work in clamshell mode. I really like this monitor and didn't want to give up so I thought maybe it was a cable issue. Ran out and got a DisplayPort to USB-C cable and tried that. No joy.

Then I realized that some of my issues started happening after I plugged my external Samsung T7 drive into the hub on the back of the monitor. Unplugged the drive and everything works as it did before.

Just wanted to throw it out there incase someone is having issues. Maybe try unplugging other devices from the built-in hub on the monitor. That fixed everything for me and I am back to jamming.

Last edited:
Reactions: kikote

quangdiggity

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2006
Columbus, OH
I recently bought an M1 MacBook Pro, but since it does not support dual external monitors I'd been eyeing the LG 34WK95U (5k2k) with the intention of eventually replacing my current dual 22" LG UltraFine 4K setup with an Intel Mac mini. Despite hearing reports of the issues with the 5k2k monitor and M1 Macs, I picked up the monitor today to see it with my own eyes.

As reported by others, the maximum scaled resolution supported on the M1 MacBook with the 5k2k monitor is 3008 x 1269. On the Intel Mac mini, the maximum scaled resolution is slightly higher at 3360 x 1417. I thought the scaled resolution bug would be the biggest problem with this monitor, but that's not case. The worst problem with this monitor is the anti-reflective coating. It makes the monitor unusable in a brightly lit room and it softens text too much. The quality of the display is a big step down from the 22" LG UltraFine 4K and also the 27" LG UltraFine 5K, and I just can't bear it.

I've re-packed the LG 34WK95U and am taking it back to the store tomorrow. I can't wait for the next iteration of Apple Silicon Macs to support dual external displays.

itsphilgeorge

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
I recently bought an M1 MacBook Pro, but since it does not support dual external monitors I'd been eyeing the LG 34WK95U (5k2k) with the intention of eventually replacing my current dual 22" LG UltraFine 4K setup with an Intel Mac mini. Despite hearing reports of the issues with the 5k2k monitor and M1 Macs, I picked up the monitor today to see it with my own eyes.

As reported by others, the maximum scaled resolution supported on the M1 MacBook with the 5k2k monitor is 3008 x 1269. On the Intel Mac mini, the maximum scaled resolution is slightly higher at 3360 x 1417. I thought the scaled resolution bug would be the biggest problem with this monitor, but that's not case. The worst problem with this monitor is the anti-reflective coating. It makes the monitor unusable in a brightly lit room and it softens text too much. The quality of the display is a big step down from the 22" LG UltraFine 4K and also the 27" LG UltraFine 5K, and I just can't bear it.

I've re-packed the LG 34WK95U and am taking it back to the store tomorrow. I can't wait for the next iteration of Apple Silicon Macs to support dual external displays.
Yep.

Not much compares to the pixel density of those LG UltraFine's.

My hope is that LG releases a 34" or 38" true Retina pixel density display (greater than 200 PPI).

I haven't had many issues with the coating but work from controlled light spaces.

If I order the XDR I would get the nano-coated one as I would want it to work anywhere I placed it.

kikote

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
Hürth, Germany
My hope is that LG releases a 34" or 38" true Retina pixel density display (greater than 200 PPI).

I haven't had many issues with the coating but work from controlled light spaces.

If I order the XDR I would get the nano-coated one as I would want it to work anywhere I placed it.

Since yesterday I am owner of an XDR... The picture is way better than the LG 34WK95U - and till now on beta 3 of BigSur 11.3 I did not have any problem. At the end it is more real screen estate (higher resolution) with a much better quality - but the price is hefty.

Now I have my old macbook Pro 2018 attached to the LG34WK95 U and my M1 MacBook Air attached to the XDR. And I prefer the combination XDR & M1 MacBook Air.

I really can´t understand why there is no ultrawide screen with a PPI >200... Even the panels that have been released this year in this format from LG and Dell are about 140 PPI. They look in Windows (125% scaling of text) way better than usind the MAC HiDPI mode... I am tired of waiting for a technology that somehow is not coming...

At the end if you want to get the Apple experience (retina and the 'it just works' effect) you have to pay the apple price for it... If I think how much time and effort (testing, bug reporting, phone calls) I have invested to get the LG working with the M1, it is just not worth it.

nikosl7

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
For most of us who do not do video editing, paying $6000 for an HDR monitor makes no sense. I would rather spend $5000 for an 8K monitor

Reactions: satcomer

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002

No way. LG only released the 5K (27“) + 4K (21,5“) Ultrafines because Apple asked them to, worked with them on these and sold them (exclusively) in the Apple Store(s). The premise of all of this was that Apple didn‘t want to be in the display business themselves anymore. This has changed, first with the XDR, now with the rumored new, cheaper Apple branded display(s), likely in the same size(s) as the redesigned iMacs.

At the end if you want to get the Apple experience (retina and the 'it just works' effect) you have to pay the apple price for it...

Yes indeed, because no-one in Windowsland or Linuxland wants to pay this much money for a display (some professional niches excluded that brands like Eizo serve). But the new Apple display(s) will at least come in way under the XDR, albeit without some of the bells and whistles. What we‘re never going to get (I guess) is a true retina ultrawide display, because it would be too much of a niche product, so if we must have an ultrawide, the LG 5K2K, warts and all, is probably as good as it‘s gonna get ...

Doubleslash

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
Trying to get this thread back on track - looks like Big Sur 11.2.3 is out. Any changes in regards to fractional scaling options?

itsphilgeorge

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
Trying to get this thread back on track - looks like Big Sur 11.2.3 is out. Any changes in regards to fractional scaling options?
Hey there! Nope. I am running 11.3 Beta 4 and am still unable to implement any resolution higher than 6016 pixels (3008 pixels in HiDPI).

Sorry!

circa7

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
Hey there! Nope. I am running 11.3 Beta 4 and am still unable to implement any resolution higher than 6016 pixels (3008 pixels in HiDPI).

Sorry!
Come on Apple, please fix this. My m1 mini is sitting in its box in the closet because of this issue. Was planning to sell my MBP but I’m still using it until this gets sorted out, if ever. I might just sell the mini for a loss at this point.

Katocaramon

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2021
Any reason why most of you use DP 1.2 over 1.4? I'm also curios about which color profile of the monitor do you use, P3, HDR ?

CodyCanna

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2021
Any reason why most of you use DP 1.2 over 1.4? I'm also curios about which color profile of the monitor do you use, P3, HDR ?

I use P3. I find it to be the closet to what I am use to. I set my 27"iMac next to and ran through all of them.

I use DP 1.2 because I think someone in this thread said they were having less issues with 1.2 than 1.4.

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
To anyone else like me stuck at the blurry 3440 x 1440 and trying to get the 3008 x 1269 resolution back, just update your monitor firmware using the LG's OnScreen Control software.

itsphilgeorge

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
To anyone else like me stuck at the blurry 3440 x 1440 and trying to get the 3008 x 1269 resolution back, just update your monitor firmware using the LG's OnScreen Control software.
I have done this and for me, the fix was only temporary. It still reverts to 3440x1440 on certain wake scenarios.

Ricoh GR

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2021

Sorry!

Does using USB-C on the Dell U2520D introduce any additional complexities? And I've been following your thread, thanks for doing this.

It's almost insulting to users that Apple won't support proper rendering on external monitors when every other laptop vendor (Dell, MS Surface, etc... ) is able to achieve this outcome.

Helmi74

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
Just checking back in after a few months. I've only cross read the post but as it looks like even 11.3 Beta 6 doesn't change anything.

Not sure if any of you have written tickets on Apple's Feedback Assistant App for the scaling issues but I guess it would help if you do. Please make Apple aware of the fact that there are quite a few users out there that struggle with the issue.

I did back in January already and recently got feedback on my ticket that suggested there might be changes fixing my issue (this was with Beta 5) but unfortunately it didn't. I replied back to tell them that the issue wasn't fixed and so did I with the latest update.

Stability was never an issue (using DP 1.2) but I didn't use the Mac mini a lot too due to the resolution issues.

Helmi74

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
Beta 8 and still no changes *sigh*

(Sidenote: Also bluetooth is still jittery with a Logi MX Master 3 but that's also true for the old macs)

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I changed the resolution and now the monitor has gone berserk. It goes totally blank for about 10s and shows the screen for a sec and goes blank again and the cycle repeats. It doesn't give me enough time to change the display settings back to default or something else.

Have to call LG support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.