Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro owners have been experiencing kernel crashes when watching HDR YouTube videos, according to a number of complaints on the MacRumors forums.

macbook-pro-3.jpg

As explained by MacRumors reader Cababah, watching an HDR YouTube video in Safari and then scrolling through the comments results in a kernel error on macOS Monterey 12.0.1. Watching YouTube in full screen and then and exiting full screen mode can also cause the error, and it may be primarily affecting 16GB machines, though 32GB/64GB models can also be affected.

Other MacRumors readers were able to replicate the error, which appears to happen after watching a few YouTube videos. From MacRumors reader spiritedaway:
Been happening to me as well, YouTube 4K HDR video on Safari. After closing full screen playback the Mac completely shuts down and reboots. M1 Pro 16". I can pretty much get it to do it every single time
From MacRumors reader Sam.b1:
I'm getting the same error under the same conditions, 4k HDR YouTube playback on Safari/Chrome. At first I thought it could have been some Chrome bug but then it crashed in Safari too. I'm running Monterey 12.0.1, 16 inch M1 Max with 32GB RAM. I haven't tried the workarounds yet. I'm thinking I should just exchange it, not sure.
Some MacBook Pro owners speculate that it's an issue with AV1 decoding, but it is not yet clear what the specific problem is or if it's something that can be fixed in a software update. Not all MacBook Pro owners are seeing this issue, but we were able to replicate it in our own testing.

The macOS Monterey 12.1 beta may fix the problem as some users are reporting improved performance after updating. If you're experiencing the same issue with YouTube, let us know in the comments.

Article Link: M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook Pro Owners Complain of Crashes Playing HDR YouTube Videos

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Here's a question. For those that bought the latest M1 Pro/Max MBPs, could anyone try to reproduce this with the build of Monterey that wasn't released as 12.0.1? It could be that something between the build that was flashed onto the new Macs and the build of Monterey that was officially released that broke.

BL.

Reactions: shurcooL

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
Here's a question. For those that bought the latest M1 Pro/Max MBPs, could anyone try to reproduce this with the build of Monterey that wasn't released as 12.0.1? It could be that something between the build that was flashed onto the new Macs and the build of Monterey that was officially released that broke.

BL.
Is there a way to downgrade to 12.0.0? The new default reinstall of Monterey is 12.0.1

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
Ahhh, I'd think we can safely safe it's software related. I mean, I guess there could be a production problem with certain components, but it's not gonna be chip based.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Is there a way to downgrade to 12.0.0? The new default reinstall of Monterey is 12.0.1

There isn't. This would have to be on a newly purchased Mac that has not upgraded to 12.0.1.

However, what could be done is if someone was a beta tester, they could reinstall one of the Monterey Release Candidates on their Mac and try to reproduce the bug there. If it works there, then this is bad for all versions of Monterey. If it can't be reproduced there, then something broke between the Release Candidates and the current official release.

BL.

Reactions: shurcooL

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
There isn't. This would have to be on a newly purchased Mac that has not upgraded to 12.0.1.

However, what could be done is if someone was a beta tester, they could reinstall one of the Monterey Release Candidates on their Mac and try to reproduce the bug there. If it works there, then this is bad for all versions of Monterey. If it can't be reproduced there, then something broke between the Release Candidates and the current official release.

BL.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, i didn't exactly test any of that when i was on the original 12.0.0 but I feel like i didn't experience the crashes till after I updated a few days later.... I could be wrong though.

littlebobbytables

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
I have experienced this a few times, but I rarely watch HDR content. I am running an M1 Pro 10c/16c/16g configuration on the latest updates.

Reactions: u+ive

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Had a crash earlier today. Machine had been rock-solid since delivery on release day. (16-inch with 1 TB HD.)

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
What about Firefox and perhaps Opera? Though I don't know if there are even M1 versions of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.