Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denneythedev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2022
My current setup is an Intel hackintosh but I am considering moving to an M2 MacBook Air. I use two LG UltraFine 4k 24" displays currently, I daisy-chain them using Thunderbolt 3 cables, example:
[Computer -> Thunderbolt 3 Cable -> LG Ultrafine 4K -> Thunderbolt 3 Cable -> LG Ultrafine 4K]

My current setup works fine but I am interested moving to official Apple hardware.

All of the official documentation and essentially everything I can find on the internet is insisting that the M2 MacBook Air is only compatible with one display and this can only be circumvented using the DisplayLink workaround.

I understand multiple perspectives of the argument of why the base M1 and M2 MacBook Air do not support multiple displays, but I am having trouble deducing how it is possible. Some writers claim the reason is that it uses Thunderbolt 3 instead of Thunderbolt 4, which is nonsense because the option to daisy-chain these displays has been available with all Intel-based Macs since the introduction of Thunderbolt 3.

The only limitation I could conceive of is the possibility that the M-series chipsets do not support multiple DisplayPort streams over Thunderbolt 3, but I can't find any hard evidence of that. Essentially, if the M2 can support one 6k display, it should technically be able to support two 4k displays, and Thunderbolt 3 should be doing the heavy lifting regardless of the computer its coming from. Otherwise, I suppose Apple could have just hard-coded non-support, but that seems especially stupid, so I would hope not.

I want to know if anybody has even attempted to daisy chain two 4k UltraFine displays from an M1 (non pro/max/ultra) or M2 mac or am I the only person still trying to use this feature?

If I were to speculate, the lack of official support for this configuration is likely driven by Apple trying to sell their own 5k and 6k displays and not because the device can't actually do it, but I unfortunately cant burn $1500 just to test my theory, so I want to know if anybody else has tried.

I am aware that somebody has already asked about daisy-chaining an LG UltraFine 4k 24" and an LG UltraFine 5k 27" in another thread, I already know that configuration does not work under normal circumstances even on Intel Macs (the two DisplayPort streams over Thunderbolt 3 do not have the bandwidth needed for both displays unless you manually hack a downscale to 4k for the 5k display), so please do not refer me to that thread. I am only interested in knowing if anybody has tried daisy chaining two LG UltraFine 4k Displays from an M1 or M2 MacBook Air using Thunderbolt 3.

Thank you!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's not an issue of Thunderbolt versions or anything like that. Simply: the M1 and M2 chipsets support a total of 2 displays, and the internal display counts as one. As you've read, you can only use 2 externals on an M1 or M2 laptop via connecting one over DisplayLink.

Reactions: Gudi

denneythedev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2022
It's not an issue of Thunderbolt versions or anything like that. Simply: the M1 and M2 chipsets support a total of 2 displays, and the internal display counts as one. As you've read, you can only use 2 externals on an M1 or M2 laptop via connecting one over DisplayLink.
The reason I have trouble with that answer is that data is data. If the interface can support it and the hardware supports the interface, the only possible thing thats going on here is that Apple literally has a line of code somewhere in MacOS that looks like:
if (processor == m1 || processor == m2) { maxExternalDisplays = 1 }
and that is ridiculous.

• Angry
Reactions: Gudi

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The reason I have trouble with that answer is that data is data. If the interface can support it and the hardware supports the interface, the only possible thing thats going on here is that Apple literally has a line of code somewhere in MacOS that looks like:
if (processor == m1 || processor == m2) { maxExternalDisplays = 1 }
and that is ridiculous.
It's not a software limitation that prevents dual displays from working. Apple simply opted not to enable additional displays in the M1 and M2 chipsets. They did implement the additional display support in the M1 Max/Pro/Ultra, which was as likely to be an engineering decision intended to upsell buyers as anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.