Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M2 MacBook Air vs M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14”

• Total voters

rogueGT

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2018
interesting to see if this poll changes now that everyone has gotten their hands on the new M2 MBA ?

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I've still been agonising over the two but think I've made my mind up.

The MBP is the better machine for the money being cheaper (with a few stores discounted) for the base model (albeit with less RAM) than my BTO M2 Air. But...I waited for the new Air to be announced to replace my mainly sofa used 15" 2016 MBP with a smaller/lighter device and I liked what I saw. Especially the midnight colour. When the MBP M1 Pro came out it wasn't what I was waiting for so I keep reminding myself of that.

I'm going to stick with the Air as it's more than capable for what I need and looking forward to the portability.

I think I'll see what the M2 MBPs are like in the future as I'm thinking of upgrading my main device, a top spec 27" iMac 2017 that I have to run from an external SSD.
I think a nice bigger 32" monitor with a MBP M2 will be a good update with more use options.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I'm still on the fence trying to select between MBA M2 and MBP 14" Base model. I just realized I overlooked one crucial thing with MBP 14" Base performance, it has only 8 core CPU which I knew but when I was checking reviews, most of them were actually testing 10 core version where multicore performance is much better than in 8 core version, even most reviews still talk about "base" model...!! :(

Thing is that MBA M2 multicore performance is only within few percent lower than MBP 14" 8 core (it is like GeekBench result M2 around 9000 and M1 Pro 8 core chip 9800 or so) and single core speed is already better in M2!! So in every case I would need to order custom mode as I will want minimum 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD because this time I plan to keep this for several years but even this would be still about 300 Euros cheaper than MBP 14" base, and more than 500 Euros cheaper if I upgrade MBP 14" to 10 core CPU which would be pretty must thing to do so that it would be considerably faster than MBA M2. Since I don't do video editing, only productivity like MS Office and web browsing speeds are relevant.

Anyone else facing the same dilemma?

hungryghosty

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020
I'm still on the fence trying to select between MBA M2 and MBP 14" Base model. I just realized I overlooked one crucial thing with MBP 14" Base performance, it has only 8 core CPU which I knew but when I was checking reviews, most of them were actually testing 10 core version where multicore performance is much better than in 8 core version, even most reviews still talk about "base" model...!! :(

I'm personally going for the MBA M2 as I prefer the form factor/weight. My current plan is to buy the base spec model and option it with 512Gb/16Gb.

From what I've read online today the 10-core GPU can often throttle under load when gaming/rendering so it's debatable whether the exrta £100 cost is worth it IMO. Doesn't appear to offer much benefit over the 8-core.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I'm personally going for the MBA M2 as I prefer the form factor/weight.
I'm wondering how flimsy and easily bending this new type chassis in MBA M2 is, since it is so thin and light. In MBP 14" chassis feels less solid to me than in previous generation M1's. Especially bottom plate feels pretty cheap and hollow in MBP 14".

My current plan is to buy the base spec model and option it with 512Gb/16Gb.
Same here. And maybe 67W charger to avoid my monitor USB-C PD outputting 60W to it (I rather rely on Apple chargers than third party ones).

From what I've read online today the 10-core GPU can often throttle under load when gaming/rendering so it's debatable whether the exrta £100 cost is worth it IMO. Doesn't appear to offer much benefit over the 8-core.
I see no reason for 10-core GPU in MBA M2 since I do not play games or do video editing, so that would not give me any more speed in my use. However if I still consider MBP 14" base I would need to select 10 core CPU update for it to make sure it has noticeable difference in speed against MBA M2, since M2 vs M1 Pro 8-core is not really much difference besides GPU which I don't care really.

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU

Thing is that MBA M2 multicore performance is only within few percent lower than MBP 14" 8 core (it is like GeekBench result M2 around 9000 and M1 Pro 8 core chip 9800 or so) and single core speed is already better in M2!! So in every case I would need to order custom mode as I will want minimum 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD because this time I plan to keep this for several years but even this would be still about 300 Euros cheaper than MBP 14" base, and more than 500 Euros cheaper if I upgrade MBP 14" to 10 core CPU which would be pretty must thing to do so that it would be considerably faster than MBA M2. Since I don't do video editing, only productivity like MS Office and web browsing speeds are relevant.

Same here. Looking to replace the 2020 i5 Intel MBP, so not really in any hurry (although the last Intel is not aging with grace, I must say... the base M1 Mini is running circles around it).

Also possibly I won't buy anything and wait for M2 Pro 14 or the vaporware 12'' laptop (which I would probably like the most).

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
Wait a couple months, pick up the M2 MBP when it’s released.
Haha…but why? Is there a rumor it will be thinner? Or just dramatically more powerful? It would suck if you waited and they didnt release it…iPad Pro 11 is due for an update, they could use the slot to release a 12” macbook replacement too (assuming the m2 air is not that..)

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts

Yes, the 14" MacBook Pro base model starts with 8-cores - but don't forget that it has a 14-core GPU as well (versus the 10-core GPU in the higher end Air).

The 14" MacBook Pro also starts at 16GB of memory, 512GB SSD.

The 14" MacBook Pro also has a better display with peak brightness in HDR content of 1,600 nits because of the Mini LEDs. Combine that with the high refresh rate ProMotion, thinner bezels compared the the 13" MacBook Pro M2, as well as better speakers & 2 fans so it's not as prone to throttling.

The downside, of course, is that the 14" MacBook Pro is 38.6% thicker & 29.6% heavier than the 13" MacBook Air M2 & has slightly worse battery life depending on what you're doing on it.

Reactions: VaruLV

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Yes, the 14" MacBook Pro base model starts with 8-cores - but don't forget that it has a 14-core GPU as well (versus the 10-core GPU in the higher end Air).

The 14" MacBook Pro also starts at 16GB of memory, 512GB SSD.

The 14" MacBook Pro also has a better display with peak brightness in HDR content of 1,600 nits because of the Mini LEDs. Combine that with the high refresh rate ProMotion, thinner bezels compared the the 13" MacBook Pro M2, as well as better speakers & 2 fans so it's not as prone to throttling.

The downside, of course, is that the 14" MacBook Pro is 38.6% thicker & 29.6% heavier than the 13" MacBook Air M2 & has slightly worse battery life depending on what you're doing on it.
I saw the MBA in person yesterday, picked it up and thought immediately this isn't that much more portable than my 14" MBP. So what's the point....

I think if you have a desktop / larger 16 laptop and just need something for low end work to carry about, its great. But if I was going to suggest one machine only solution it would be the 14".

CTown03

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2022
Im in the same boat here.

My direct question is - With the Air not having internal cooling will me using 3D modeling software for 3D printing be too taxing for the system?

I currently have been using a 2010 MBP retina with 8 gigs of ram. Using slicing software (chitubox, prusa, cura, lychee) at times is taxing and sometimes using Auto CAD/Tinker CAD and Blender gets slow but Im able to get the job done. Normal use with these programs is maybe an 1-2 hours at a time.

With that being the heaviest use I would put on the machine, is the M2 Air with 16 gigs of ram sufficient or should I be looking at the 14inch Pro?

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014

My direct question is - With the Air not having internal cooling will me using 3D modeling software for 3D printing be too taxing for the system?

I currently have been using a 2010 MBP retina with 8 gigs of ram. Using slicing software (chitubox, prusa, cura, lychee) at times is taxing and sometimes using Auto CAD/Tinker CAD and Blender gets slow but Im able to get the job done. Normal use with these programs is maybe an 1-2 hours at a time.

With that being the heaviest use I would put on the machine, is the M2 Air with 16 gigs of ram sufficient or should I be looking at the 14inch Pro?
hey, see my post above.
I have the 14 and use it for 3D etc and it’s great (to a point as it throttles). The air will throttle much more.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022

I tried out the M2 Air (base config, 8gb ram and 256 ssd) in the store today. I opened bout a dozen tabs, a pdf, photos and imovie. Then I added some 4k drone footage (1.5gb) to one of the apple sample imovies and saved it at the highest possible quality settings.

This took some time, and as it worked there was some lag making new windows/tabs and resizing them. It can handle doing the task alone with nothing open fine, and youd just wait for it. But do a lot of other stuff at the same time and you run into problems.

However, someone more knowledgeable can comment on if this is really just a RAM thing…and if this would go away with more ran, maybe it is the best computer for just about everyone except those of us who are professional video editors or something

Reactions: adrianlondon

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
pro motion is a deal breaker once used
I used iPP 11” (had promotion display) intensively in past 5 months and rarely use my old 2020 MBA. Recently I used again MBA, and got my eyes not comfortable. Not sure whether this is just coincidence.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I tried out the M2 Air (base config, 8gb ram and 256 ssd) in the store today. I opened bout a dozen tabs, a pdf, photos and imovie. Then I added some 4k drone footage (1.5gb) to one of the apple sample imovies and saved it at the highest possible quality settings.

This took some time, and as it worked there was some lag making new windows/tabs and resizing them. It can handle doing the task alone with nothing open fine, and youd just wait for it. But do a lot of other stuff at the same time and you run into problems.

However, someone more knowledgeable can comment on if this is really just a RAM thing…and if this would go away with more ran, maybe it is the best computer for just about everyone except those of us who are professional video editors or something
Perhaps, its due to slower SSD in 256 version, hence it impacted the overall system when it start using swap intensively.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
Perhaps, its due to slower SSD in 256 version, hence it impacted the overall system when it start using swap intensively.
Yup thats an interesting theory. Todays experience has me skeptical of the Air, but im open to the possibility that this version, specced out, is the first Air that could replace my old 15" MBP.

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
I have a thread on this. I went with the 14" MBP M1 Max. More money but much better than the Air. Better screen. Better speakers. Way more powerful. Still super compact and light and with a slightly larger display.
It's two completely different machines. No one in their right mind would ever cross shop Max and thermal limited M2

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
As I said, I not doing video editing and I don't play games, so amount of GPU is irrelevant to me, as long as there is at least one so that I get the picture I'm fine with it. So in this case using just productivity apps like MS office and doing some web browsing I think even MBA M2 could be snappier than MBP 14" base with 8-core CPU since CPU power it better in single core in M2 and multicore is only under 10% faster in MBP 14" Pro 8-core chip (GPU speed does no diference in this case).

I will mostly use it in clamshell mode as desktop computer replacement, so screen and speaker quality has not so much meaning for me, but I still want quality screen without any visible issues like light leaks and such (I'm just allergic to those).

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
I have a BTO MBA M2 to pick up from Apple in London soon with 16GB and 1TB options and midnight colour. I have already seen the Midnight MBA in person, the fingerprints are a non-issue it does look a beautiful machine.

While in store I checked out the MBP M1 Pro and the display is superb, noticeably better than the MBA M2 and my preference is for the extra ports. I currently use a 13inch rMBP (2015) and sometimes hook it up to two external monitors which the MBA M2 can't handle.

In the UK there's a current promotion for M1 Pro 16GB 512 which comes out a little cheaper than the MBA M2 16GB 512. This shouldn't be the case and is only because of Apple's ridiculous pricing for it's MBA M2s.

If Apple wasn't so avaricious and addicted to his vast profit margins the MBA M2 would have been an instant purchase because it would be a more reasonable price.

I'm now leaning towards the MBP M1 Pro.

Anyone have any advice for me about my purchase?

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
In the UK there's a current promotion for M1 Pro 16GB 512 which comes out a little cheaper than the MBA M2 16GB 512. This shouldn't be the case and is only because of Apple's ridiculous pricing for it's MBA M2s.
I think this is simply due to the fact that Apple has not yet done foreign currency againts USD and inflation checks to MBP 14" price, it is still the same as it was when introduced. I would not be surprised if price goes up +20% outside USA when they do this price check (I'm pretty sure that will happen no later than when it gets any hardware update, probably even sooner).

Anyone have any advice for me about my purchase?
I would also lean towards MBP 14" if it was sale in my area and if it came with 10-core CPU. However MBP 14" base with 8-core cpu is complicated since CPU speed alone is not really different from MBA M2 for short bursts (GPU is better but you only benefit from it if you use it for some GPU intensive tasks).

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I really want to get the M2 MacBook Air for portability and convenience, but now the M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14” seems like a better option when matching the RAM and storage to the MBA.

Go use/play with both in the store, and make sure to watch/listen to some HDR content on both (maybe get an Apple store employee to show you some).

edit:
Maybe try this video on both in the store - make sure to crank the screen brightness on both machines and compare:

or this

or this

Or maybe don't, HDR will ruin you for normal displays :D

Once you start upgrading an air too far, it very quickly becomes a poor alternative because you give up a huge amount of capability in terms of display, sound, ports, etc. for not such a huge saving.

I've held both to compare, and the size and weight is nothing like the deal it was in the days of classic Mac Pro vs the older airs.

If you're considering an air, your workload probably isn't that heavy, but again, the display, speakers and extra ports aren't a lot of extra money once you bump the spec on an air significantly.

Only you can make the choice. The Air is a fine machine if you're keeping the spec sensible; just don't spec one to be the price of a base (or near base) model 14" though because you're missing out on so much more with that machine, and the weight/portability difference really isn't huge. You'd need to hold them side by side at the same time to really tell. Which I did today when my friend's brand new M2 Air arrived in the office.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The Intel MBA has a fan though, and although the M1 chip is better (faster/cooler) for most things, I do wonder if it'll throttle quicker than mine. The new MBA has a brighter screen, which is one thing I miss with mine compared to a MBP.

I also have an intel 2020 air i7/1tb/16gb and I can confirm there are not many machines on the market from the past decade that throttle as hard or as early as that thing. Mine spent most of its time around at or below 2ghz and I regularly saw it running 1.3-1.6ghz with the fans screaming.

My iPad Pro from 2018 was faster in general use, so I can pretty confidently say that no, an M1 or M2 will not throttle anywhere near as hard, and will be silent compared to the 2020 intel Air.

Reactions: adrianlondon

rgwebb

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
For school programming classes, I think it is very highly likely that an M2 MBA would be more than sufficient. Also, the MBA is significantly more portable than a 14in MBP.

I would not recommend against the MBP because it is a great upgrade pick if you're willing to take the backpack weight gain. Given the performance of the M1 Pro/Max MBPs, it ought to last you well into your early post-collegiate days if you got it now. Additionally, the built in HDMI port is probably more useful for students than most might think. You won't have to keep a dongle around for presentation slide decks.

I've got a 16in M1 Max Macbook Pro for work and an M2 Macbook Air for personal (as of last Friday ha). They're both great computers. I love that the MBP can have a web, iOS, and Android app all running locally side by side along with a Remote Desktop session, Figma, and Pixelmator and it doesn't even get warm much less loud. I love that the MBA is lighter than a 12.9in iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard Case (my previous personal "laptop") but I could still pull down a repo and test one of my dev's projects in a pinch with no sweat.

Reactions: VaruLV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.