Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first benchmark results for Apple's new M2 Ultra chip have surfaced on Geekbench 6, providing a closer look at CPU performance improvements. The high-end chip is available in the new Mac Studio and Mac Pro models launching next week.

Apple-M2-Ultra-Chip.jpg

There is currently some variance in the results, but the Mac Studio with the M2 Ultra chip appears to have single-core and multi-core scores of up to approximately 2,800 and 21,700, respectively. As expected, these scores confirm that the M2 Ultra chip offers up to 20% faster CPU performance compared to the M1 Ultra chip, as Apple advertised. This also means the M2 Ultra is now the fastest chip that Apple has ever released.

Geekbench-M2-Ultra.jpg
Geekbench 6 result for Mac Studio with M2 Ultra chip

More interestingly, the scores reveal that the new Mac Pro should have around 2× faster overall CPU performance than the fastest Intel-based Mac Pro with a 28-core Xeon W processor. This feat is even more impressive given that the new Mac Pro starts at $6,999, while the 28-core Intel-based model started at $12,999, nearly double the price. During its WWDC keynote, Apple said the new Mac Pro is up to 3× faster than the Intel-based model, but that only applies to select "real-world pro workflows like video transcoding and 3D simulation."

The primary reason to consider the Mac Pro over the Mac Studio is for the desktop tower's six available PCIe expansion slots. Otherwise, customers should consider the Mac Studio, as it can be configured with the M2 Ultra for $3,000 less than the Mac Pro. For a more detailed comparison, read our Mac Studio vs. Mac Pro Buyer's Guide.

The new Mac Studio and Mac Pro are available to order now, and will begin arriving to customers and launch in stores on Tuesday, June 13.

Article Link: M2 Ultra Chip Benchmark Results Reveal Impressive Performance Gains

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
20% is not enough of a reason for me (as a casual user) to upgrade my M1 Mac Studio Ultra to an M2 Mac Studio Ultra but I can see why businesses may well consider if if they can complete tasks 20% faster. Time is money and it won't take long to recuperate the cost of upgrading.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
20% is not enough of a reason for me (as a casual user) to upgrade my M1 Mac Studio Ultra to an M2 Mac Studio Ultra but I can see why businesses may well consider if if they can complete tasks 20% faster. Time is money and it won't take long to recuperate the cost of upgrading.
Also, people don’t usually upgrade every year

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
they said they change the hardware for fusion..so its around 1.8x compared to M2 Max instead of 1.4x or 1.6x M1 max to M1 ultra

Reactions: spaz8

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Intel chips have come a far way since the old intel Mac Pro and the 13900k is faster than the m2 ultra . So is ryzen 7950x. Also, the x86 workstation class chips like sapphire rapids and Genoa blow the m2 ultra away in terms of multithreading. Of course apple leads in terms of performance per watt.

I think the m2 ultra is fine in the Mac Studio but the Mac Pro, with all the extra room, is underpowered. And it’s still using pcie4 with pcie switches and lane sharing, whereas sapphire rapids and Genoa use pcie 5 and have a ton of lanes available. Much more flexible and can access more RAM.

Faster x86 chips are coming: arrow lake, zen 5, granite rapids Xeons.

Unless apple creates a workstation class chip I think apple will lead in notebook perf per watt, but when it comes to workstation and desktop, x86 will pull ahead.

But regardless of all that, competition is great for consumers. And I am glad to see apple start to embrace gaming on the Macintosh. Maybe apple has some wild ambitions in terms of GPU performance and is now laying the groundwork to introduce high performance gaming hardware…

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Go imagine M3.

BTW, no reasons why the Vision Pro must have a M2. It will come out in 2024 with M3, more power, better battery life.
M3 based on N3 for an niche product..that will sell so low....no need
Apple needs N3 based for the iphone primarily in late 2023 and early 2024 and then transition to the ipad and mac...and after that to vision pro probably for second gen

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I still don’t get why Apple did not differentiate the Mac Pro anymore from the Mac Studio. Using the identical CPU there isn’t much reason to spend the much more money. Sure you get PCIe expansion, but you can get that in a TB4 Sonnet expansion box at a quarter the cost. You can’t use the PCIe for graphics cards, and you are still limited on the RAM…

gallico916

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin, TX
So we are comparing an M2 Ultra with Intel 28 Core unit from 2016, which seems unfair.
These days Intel and AMD have CPUs with 56 and 64 cores with access to 4TB of RAM.

The most significant benefit of the M processors is power consumption, but workstation has fewer restrictions and needs to deliver raw power.

I would love to see a comparison with the newer CPUs from AMD and Intel.

Apple is not even in the first 100 when it comes to raw power

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Go imagine M3.

BTW, no reasons why the Vision Pro must have a M2. It will come out in 2024 with M3, more power, better battery life.
That seems very unlikely.
It is very rare that Apple announces something with one chip, and it ships with a different one, that’s not really their thing.
I wouldn’t even be surprised if we don’t get an M3 until after the headset launches.

Reactions: KeithBN and SFjohn

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
The M series chips are impressive, and the Ultra's are overkill for most applications. Where the Ultra's have disappointed was in GPU performance vs a dedicated graphics card. But if Apple's claims hold true, the improved GPU performance on the M2 Ultra should take it into Nvidia territory and finally make it a viable option for 3D graphics work and rendering. Can't wait to see hands-on videos of it with Blender.

Last edited:

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
I mean it was 4 years ago , that's kind of expected

what processor would be today's equivalent within intel/amd series , as of today? 12th or 13th gen, but which xeon specifically?

Reactions: AAPLGeek

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
I still don’t get why Apple did not differentiate the Mac Pro anymore from the Mac Studio. Using the identical CPU there isn’t much reason to spend the much more money. Sure you get PCIe expansion, but you can get that in a TB4 Sonnet expansion box at a quarter the cost. You can’t use the PCIe for graphics cards, and you are still limited on the RAM…

TB3 is cap'd at 40Gbps and latency.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Because this Mac Pro is very much a stopgap machine, a way to say "we have ended Intel, and we have a replacement for your old Intel Mac Pro" and nothing more.
It's not a more exciting machine because the SoCs for a more exciting machine aren't ready. And that's probably because Covid screwed up Apple and TSMC's timeline.

My guess is in eighteen months or so we will see an upgrade to some sort of M3 Ultra and Extreme options, but still same case. MAYBE PCIe5, maybe not. Then in maybe four years we'll see the really re-designed machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.