Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesR106

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
I'm a professional photographer, guidebook writer and video editor looking at finally upgrading my MacBook Pro. Currently torn between the:

M3 Max with 14-core CPU/30-core GPU with 96GB of RAM, or 16-core CPU/40-core GPU with 64GB of RAM?

The price difference between these two configurations is negligible. Any thoughts on which would offer me better performance? I do lots of 4k video editing and my Lightroom catalogue has just over half a million images stored on a NAS.

I keep swinging between the two... Looking to future proof my laptop for at least the next five years. I use a MBP as my daily driver for everything.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Reactions: MikeX3 and majida

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
My initial reaction is; get the 96 GB ram.

I'm thinking; two extra cpu cores, what do you get?
Very slightly faster multicore performance. That's a few seconds faster render, export operations etc.
32Gb extra ram, you get to run more stuff simultaneously, ram-hungry applications will run better because they have more room to work, with a 'higher ceiling' in memory.

Nothing scientific, just my thoughts.

majida

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2023
I'm a professional photographer, guidebook writer and video editor looking at finally upgrading my MacBook Pro. Currently torn between the:

M3 Max with 14-core CPU/30-core GPU with 96GB of RAM, or 16-core CPU/40-core GPU with 64GB of RAM?

The price difference between these two configurations is negligible. Any thoughts on which would offer me better performance? I do lots of 4k video editing and my Lightroom catalogue has just over half a million images stored on a NAS.

I keep swinging between the two... Looking to future proof my laptop for at least the next five years. I use a MBP as my daily driver for everything.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Have you decided ? I have exact debate...

Reactions: MikeX3

JamesR106

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
Have you decided ? I have exact debate...

I've ordered the 16 Core with 64GB of RAM. Its not arrived yet... Still haven't decided if it was the correct decision – it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. My thinking was the CPU was probably going to be the bottleneck eventually in the future. Though of course it depends how RAM heavy some of the new processes get in the immediate future.

Though my thinking was similar to Ben's initially. A little less speed and a lot more RAM with the 96GB version. I'm currently using a 32GB Intel MPB from 2019 and most of the RAM gets used quite frequently.

First world problems, but not an easy decision. In a perfect world I'd have taken the 16 Core with 96GB of RAM but unfortunately Apple don't offer that configuration.

Reactions: MikeX3

majida

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2023
I have received 16 core Max M3 /64GB
Pros: it is the fastest ever , 2.5 faster than my M1 ( 6 min rendering M3, 15 mins M1)
Cons: when you use all CPU cores , fans noise is noticeable
So I think 14 cores 96GB M3 max a little slower but less noisier

Thanks for reply

Reactions: ProXMac

ProXMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2022
I have received 16 core Max M3 /64GB
Pros: it is the fastest ever , 2.5 faster than my M1 ( 6 min rendering M3, 15 mins M1)
Cons: when you use all CPU cores , fans noise is noticeable
So I think 14 cores 96GB M3 max a little slower but less noisier

Thanks for reply
Yup I agree with this, you only get 10% improvement in CPU speed ( 1 min shaved off, for a 10 min export lol), but the fans on the 14" with the 16 cores ugh its intel plane taking off noise. Def 14 core, (there is a reason the highest stock model for the 14" is 14 core , Apple knows it runs hot on the 14")

majida

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2023
Yup I agree with this, you only get 10% improvement in CPU speed ( 1 min shaved off, for a 10 min export lol), but the fans on the 14" with the 16 cores ugh its intel plane taking off noise. Def 14 core, (there is a reason the highest stock model for the 14" is 14 core , Apple knows it runs hot on the 14")
I forgot to mention this is for 16.2" , 14" is worse.

MikeX3

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
I have the exact same dilemma at the moment. Has anyone gotten the 16" M3 Max with 14-core CPU/30-core GPU with 96GB of RAM or compared it through benchmark to the 16-core 64GB version?

LawtonKAR

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
We are having the same debate.
I have the exact same dilemma at the moment. Has anyone gotten the 16" M3 Max with 14-core CPU/30-core GPU with 96GB of RAM or compared it through benchmark to the 16-core 64GB version?

gdillainepub

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2024
but don't forget the OP does video editing too. maybe the 14vs 16 CPU core doesn't make much difference but for GPU its 40c vs 30c which I believe is significant. I do video editing too I'm torn apart between the choice too. I currently uses an 2019 intel i9 MBP with 64GB and the RAM consumption is 50%(ie 32GB ) on a 30-day average according to iStat Menu. I believe for the new computer I need more than 64GB - 96GB sounds reasonable but it is not available to the 16/40 core model :mad: Apple is making this really a headache. I wouldn't be hesitating if I was doing any 3D work - gaming or pro 3D software. But just don't know how much the 40 core GPU is better in terms of video editing😭

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.