Mac and Modem assistance.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by streetfoldsfive, Jul 16, 2013.

1. streetfoldsfive macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Connecting Mac to Router. My modem and router are upstairs and I would like them in my office so I can easily connect it to my computer. However, there is no phone jack in my office. Could I use an adapter and plug my modem into that? Something like this...http://www.familysafemedia.com/instajack_phone_line_jack.html

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

This (from the above website), should answer your question: "Please Note: The Easy Jack 2 will not work to extend a DSL line".

Even without that disclaimer, for security reasons, I would stay away from such stop-gap technologies. It's much better to install, or have installed, a proper phone jack in your office. For a handy person with a fish tape and a few basic tools, it's a very simple procedure, with minimal damage to walls or drywall.

After this minor inconvenience, in addition to having your modem and router near your computer, you'll also end up with a proper phone/fax line in your office.

3. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Turns out I do have a cable wire in my office. However my modem must remain upstairs. Is there any way to hardline my computer without running a wire through the walls or moving the modem??

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm making the assumption that the reason you want a wired connection is for security reasons. Since you were considering extending the phone line via RF (over power line) to the modem, why not use WiFi, which is encrypted? Even if it the Easy Jack did have the bandwidth to support DSL, it would be unencrypted. (The signal used over home power wiring can potentially travel outside your home wiring.)

If it's speed you're worried about, no DSL connection I know of can come close to 802.11g, let alone 802.11n.

5. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Because my wifi is upstairs my speeds are slow. That's the main reason for my attempt at wired connection.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If your wireless router supports it, you could add a second WAP to extend your WiFi network and provide a better signal to your office.