Mac and Virus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pozzydrive, Jul 18, 2011.

1. pozzydrive macrumors newbie

Hi All

I have an Apple iMac and recently when going into my emails, either Yahoo or Hotmail, I've noticed that I am getting my own name having sent me an email with only a link on the page. I've also had emails from some other people with a link only in the email. Experience has told me that these are generally viruses and are spread from PC to PC via peoples address books. I have three questions;
    1. Can this infect my iMac and if the answer is yes, how can I prevent it.
    2. Is there anyway to prevent these emails from being sent or to stop receiving them.
    3. Is there a dedicated website for helping people with this particular problem, as it's extremely annoying.

Regards

Pozzy

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It's spam. You can't prevent it from getting sent. A good ISP will filter out a lot. There is at the moment no virus that will infect your Mac automatically, there is malware that will ask for your permission to install, so if you don't install it, you are fine. So this is annoying, but not dangerous to a Mac user.

3. itslowry macrumors newbie

itslowry

With a Mac the end user determines the outcome. Malware ends up on a Mac because the user doesn't follow simple rules. The same goes with a virus.

You are seeing spam.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not really, since there's no such thing at the present time.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install: