Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mac App Store to Offer Unbundled iLife and iWork Applications?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Several MacRumors readers have pointed out that Apple's promotional materials for its forthcoming Mac App Store show that the company may be planning to offer applications from its iLife and iWork suites on an individual basis. Supporting that notion is the demo offered by Apple's Craig Federighi during yesterday's media event in which he showed how a user could purchase and install Pages from the Mac App Store.

Based on Mac App Store screenshots posted on Apple's pages, it appears that the company is planning to offer portions of its iLife suite (iPhoto, GarageBand, and iMovie) for $14.99 each. It is unclear whether it will also offer iWeb and iDVD, the other two components of the suite that now retails for $49, as standalone purchases.

Apple similarly lists individual components of iWork (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers) for $19.99 each. Interestingly, this would result in a total price of $59.97 for the three applications purchased individually, below Apple's $79 price for the entire suite.

In addition, Steve Jobs noted during the media event that applications purchased through the Mac App Store would be licensed for use on all of a purchaser's personal Macs. This would appear to represent a middle ground between Apple's current single-user software packages, which allow for installation on only one machine at a time, and family packs, which permit installation on up to five computers but for multiple persons in a single household.

Apple already offers its iPad versions of Pages, Keynote and Numbers as standalone purchases on the iOS App Store, priced at $9.99 each with no bundled suite even available. The same may be true for the Mac App Store, as Apple's promotional screenshots offer no indication that iLife and iWork suites will be available for download in bundled form. Presumably Apple will continue to offer the bundled suites on physical media, but it is unclear how long this distribution method will continue to be supported by Apple once the Mac App Store begins to take hold.

Article Link: Mac App Store to Offer Unbundled iLife and iWork Applications?

alakazzam

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
MA
Interesting... I only really use a fraction of these apps and never really feel it necessary to upgrade the bundle in it's entirety would be nice to see the ability to pick and choose which ones I wanted in the future.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
We are about to enter a new world of software development, distribution and pricing. Figures that it takes Apple to jump start this approach. You'd think some other tech giant could have done something like this years ago, but one thing is now certain: they are going to copy Apple like crazy now that they are being shown the way to go. Lots of app stores to pop up now.

Can't wait to see the Dell version . . .

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
That sounds like a good idea. I am not sure if I want to get the whole iLife '11 suite, but would just pay for the new iMovie.

Also I like Pages and Numbers, but don't have a need for Keynote.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
And btw, I really like aspects of the iOS app stores. Mainly it's very nice to have the software take care of telling me when updates are ready.

I have all these Mac apps on my Macbook Pro, and every so often I go through an update cycle where I check them all to see if there are new releases. Then I do a mass update.

Will be so much nicer for the App Store apps that automatically tell me when there are new updates ready to be installed.

Sketcher10

Oct 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Wait that makes total sense you can buy the full ilife for $50 but for three apps its $45 so actually its not a surprise.

no-direction

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
Stevenage, England
I can see this happening and being very useful to the end user. I've owned both iLife '06 and iLife '09; from these I use iPhoto heavily, iMovie, iDvd and iWeb rarely and have only ever launched Garageband once! I could quite easily see myself downloading the latest version of iPhoto each year from the Mac App Store and only upgrading the entire packaging when something monumental changed across the entire suite. Much more flexible for the user.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I was planning on getting iLife '11, but figured I'd watch the Keynote last night first. I noticed iMovie '11 on the App Store when they were demoing it and then found the screen shots. I'm holding out now. I love my 3 year old daughter, but I don't feel the need to make a movie trailer featuring her. And Garageband, while fun to play with, isn't useful for me as I can't play any instruments. iPhoto though? I take pictures every day.

If this happens, I'm all for it!

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I wouldn't bet the farm on anything you see in a technology preview. Still, the possibility of standalone iLife/iWorks applications looks promising.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I think this will be a god-send for all us who do yearly clean installs. Just imagine... doing a clean install, typing in your MobileMe password, and bam! All your software is downloaded, installed, and you essentially have the same computer you did before, but nice and clean.

This would also get rid of having to save serial numbers... just tying apps to your iTunes account. That is great. I wonder how developers will feel about not being able to charge for family packs and multiple-user licenses. Apps work on *all* computers. Or have *master* apps that include the iPhone/iPod/iPad apps bundled with the Mac app. I would pay more for those. We will probably see that very soon.

I really like everything I've seen. The death of the optical drive is near approaching, at least for mobile devices.

icibaqu

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was just giving the iLife update the
thumbs down to my wife last night (no
iWeb update = boo!), but I'd maybe pay
$9.99 for iPhoto standalone.

My worry is, what happens when your drive crashes or you want to do a clean reinstall/upgrade? Would the fact that you are the proud owner live in the cloud/your account, and allow you to redownload or are you screwed because you didn't use Time Machine?

Patdt13

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
Sweet! I was planning on buying iLife '11, but I don't use Garage Band, so If I can save money, sweet

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I love bundles.

Especially if it saves me money, or for the same amount I would pay for 2 individuals package, I can get 4 -- even if the others I don't use.

However, I also like a choice to get individuals! If the sum of individuals is cheaper than the bundle, especially if I've never ever used others, I rather buy a la carte.

I love the imovie demo. and if some day I ever have to do any movie editing, thats where i want to do it on. BUT, i haven't cared to use it since 2004. I just dont take any video clips. Other than my camera with video recording capabilities I dont own a camcorder, nor do have a habit of making video clips. Some day I might, just not today.

Today I use iphoto and maybe... maybe garage band. Never touched idvd, and dont care for iweb -- as i dont have a .me account. Being able to buy iphoto now, then garage band the next time i have to use it is huge!

Usually I would wait around 2 version releases to pass before upgrading to the next iLife suite, and only to get iphoto and garage band!

Apple I like where you're going with this!

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Another BIG point here is that they will see what customers are using the most of. This will help them in knowing customer A uses iPhoto and iMovie and B uses Garageband only. It will help with development within :apple:

Why put so much effort into something nobody is using. If nobody is using it why? Time to revamp it!:D

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Didn't they say......

that your apps would be available on all of your Mac computers? Does that mean no more family pack too?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
We are about to enter a new world of software development, distribution and pricing. Figures that it takes Apple to jump start this approach. You'd think some other tech giant could have done something like this years ago, but one thing is now certain: they are going to copy Apple like crazy now that they are being shown the way to go. Lots of app stores to pop up now.

Can't wait to see the Dell version . . .

I wonder if Microsoft will play too.

Excel.... $99
PowerPoint... $79
Word... $49
Outlook... $39

etc.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I understand from the keynote that Mac Apps from the Apple store are licensed for all the computers you own. This makes it more like the Family Pack, and an even better deal.

There is no need to buy more than iPhoto, iMovie, and Garage Band from the store since iWeb and iDVD are unchanged. So the pricing looks right even for single system use.

Most apps I use now are downloaded and not delivered on physical media. Since this will apparently not need license keys (but are tied to the iTunes account), it will be much easier to manage.

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was just giving the iLife update the
thumbs down to my wife last night (no
iWeb update = boo!), but I'd maybe pay
$9.99 for iPhoto standalone.

My worry is, what happens when your drive crashes or you want to do a clean reinstall/upgrade? Would the fact that you are the proud owner live in the cloud/your account, and allow you to redownload or are you screwed because you didn't use Time Machine?

Didn't SJ say you could install them on all your Macs? So, I am guessing it will work like iPhone store, when you try to buy an app you already own it asks you if you want to redownload it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.