Mac App Subscription Service 'Setapp' Offers Beta Invites

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Setapp, a subscription app service from MacPaw, is entering a beta testing phase today to get ready for an upcoming public launch. Setapp plans to make more than 48 popular Mac apps available to Mac users for a flat monthly fee, with plans to add new apps as the service grows.

Setapp will cost $9.99 per month, giving users access to Mac apps like RapidWeaver, Ulysses, iStat Menus, Blogo, CodeRunner, Marked 2, and more, but during the beta testing period, access will be free.

Beta invites will be limited to selected developers and Mac users, including MacRumors readers. Anyone who wants to give Setapp a try before its public launch can visit the following link: Setapp Beta for MacRumors.

MacRumors has 500 Setapp beta invites, so all readers who want to test the service to see how it works should be able to give it a go. Once the 500 invites expire, users will be able to enter their email address to be invited to the beta in the future. Make sure to use the link above if you want to try Setapp -- non MacRumors readers will be added to a waiting list instead of given instant access.

MacPaw's goal with Setapp is to become the Netflix of Mac apps, giving developers and customers an alternative to the Mac App Store. Setapp will pay 70 percent of revenue to developers, while taking a 30 percent cut, but its model also provides developers with a continuous monthly revenue stream that could prove to be more appealing than the Mac App Store.

Setapp includes continual updates, so users who pay subscription fees to access apps will not need to pay separately for future apps, nor will they need to make in-app purchases to access full app functionality. Setapp content, installed through a main Setapp app, will also work offline when no internet connection is available.

Following the beta testing period, Setapp will cost $9.99 per month, but a free one-month trial will be included.

Article Link: Mac App Subscription Service 'Setapp' Offers Beta Invites

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
if they add a few more apps that i already pay for, i would consider this. at this point, we are talking about 120$ per year for only a few apps i am interested in.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
So will we be able to keep using the apps, if we cancel the subscription, i.e., keep using RapidWeaver?

Seems like just a variation of software subscription that many of us hate.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Why would you pay a monthly fee for a pile of apps that are included in those name your own price bundles every month?

Vast majority of these apps are going to go unused.

Seems everyone is getting in on the subscription craze as it's far more profitable for them.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Monthly app subscription only has one winner...The creator.

What if people are pausing or even stopping the service no more apps for them ?

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
So will we be able to keep using the apps, if we cancel the subscription, i.e., keep using RapidWeaver?

You'd assume not or some people would download and cancel after a month for cheap licenses. Not a service I find in the least bit tempting.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Without having read the privacy statement I will assume that this an opportunity to give your personal information to 48 vendors in one shot. No thanks.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
You'd assume not or some people would download and cancel after a month for cheap licenses. Not a service I find in the least bit tempting.
Looks like the terms of use on their site has verbige that if cancel, you need to uninstall the apps. I'm not sure how they'll police that action, i.e., will these apps stop working?

As for the business model, the list of apps is somewhat mediocre, its like a bundle app promotion that you can buy for 19.99, you get one, maybe two good apps, and the rest is crap.

I've been avoiding the subscription model as much as possible, and this is one example that that doesn't fully make sense. If I really want RapidWeaver, I'll wait until it comes out in one of those bundles. Why spend 120 dollars a year on a 100 dollar app (that usually can be found in those cheap bundles).

iStat Menus, a good app, admittedly, can be had for 18 dollars. Makes sense to buy that outright instead of paying for this month in and month out.

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Looks like the terms of use on their site has verbige that if cancel, you need to uninstall the apps. I'm not sure how they'll police that action, i.e., will these apps stop working?

As for the business model, the list of apps is somewhat mediocre, its like a bundle app promotion that you can buy for 19.99, you get one, maybe two good apps, and the rest is crap.

I've been avoiding the subscription model as much as possible, and this is one example that that doesn't fully make sense. If I really want RapidWeaver, I'll wait until it comes out in one of those bundles. Why spend 120 dollars a year on a 100 dollar app (that usually can be found in those cheap bundles).

iStat Menus, a good app, admittedly, can be had for 18 dollars. Makes sense to buy that outright instead of paying for this month in and month out.
Oh, not sure how they'll do that either. I presumed they'd have a subscription checking mechanism added to the apps. Agree with the other points.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This will make sense only if they add bigger apps names. Imagine if they added Photoshop or MS Office which are already in the subscription market. That would make this super useful for those that don't vomit at the idea of subscriptions. I am in the very queasy group myself.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
For those that care:

Aeon Timeline - $49.99
Alternote - $6.99
Archiver - $19.99
Base - $26.99
Be Focused - $4.99
Blogo - $49.99
Capto - $29.99
Chronicle - $14.99
ChronoSync Express - $24.99
CleanMyMac - $39.95
CodeRunner - $14.99
Downie - $19.99
Elmedia Player - $9.99
Findings - $49
Focused - $39.99
Folx - $9.99
Gemini - $19.99
Get Backup Pro - $9.99
Gifox - $2.99
GoodTask - $19.99
HazeOver - $4.99
Hype - $49.99
Image2icon - $9.99
iMazing - $39.99
iStat Menus - $18
iThoughtsX - $49.99
Jump Desktop - $29.99
Manuscripts - $39.99
Marked - $13.99
MoneyWiz - $24.99
My Wonderful Days - $9.99
Numi - In beta, so not even out yet, original version was free...
Paste - $9.99
PDF Squeezer - $5.99
Permute - $9.99
Pixa - $24.99
RapidWeaver - $89.99
Remote Mouse - Apparently free to begin with...
Renamer - $19.99
Screens - $29.99
Simon - $99
Sip - $9.99
Squash - $19.99 - It was JUST introduced two weeks ago...
TaskPaper - $24.99
Timing - $38.99
Ulysses - $44.99
WiFi Explorer - $19.99
XMind - $99
Yummy FTP Pro - $29.99

Total comes up to $1,335.53

And a lot of these developers offer upgrade pricing to begin with. So it might be cheaper the first time around, but you're going to pay more for the few apps you use the next year.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Total comes up to $1,335.53
But will all those apps be used, that is if you only use two of those apps, I'm not sure if its worth the price.

Imagine if they added Photoshop or MS Office
Those two companies already have moved on to subscription pricing and it doesn't make sense for Adobe to give CS suite away for 9.99 a month when they charge something like 40 dollars a month. Adobe's Photographer bundle gives you PS and LR for 10.15 a month which is slightly more then this bundle, and they'd only get a portion of that 9.99 subscription price, so again it doesn't make sense for those big name apps.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"This video has been removed by the user."

And I followed the invite link, but there was no reference to MacRumors. Maybe all 500 spaces were already taken?

thejasonhowell

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2013
Peoria, Illinois
I got an email with a beta invite since I use one of their other apps (Sip).

If they add new apps during the beta period, I could consider paying for awhile. As it stands, if required to pay right now, I don't know if I would.

I've installed a handful of apps so far.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Most likely no.

Personally, I have some of them, and use the competitors of others.
I already own some of those as well, in fact I own RapidWeaver (older version) and I have plans up paying to upgrade to the newer version, never mind embracing a subscription model.

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
They're all just cheap apps. Would be very few users using more than a couple of them.
I am not a fan of this subscription crap.

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010

Monthly app subscription only has one winner...The creator.

What if people are pausing or even stopping the service no more apps for them ?
The clue is in the first line of the article: 'subscription app service'. You have in fact both answered your own questions with the question. Its incredibly plain to see that access to the apps will stop once you stop paying the subscription. That is how a subscription works.

Reactions: Brian33

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The clue is in the first line of the article: 'subscription app service'. You have in fact both answered your own questions with the question. Its incredibly plain to see that access to the apps will stop once you stop paying the subscription. That is how a subscription works.
Rapidweaver which I own doesn't have any facility to phone home AFAIK, never mind apps like iStat Menus. So if the app doesn't know its been revoked, what's to stop people from not uninstalling the app but rather keep using it?

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
Rapidweaver which I own doesn't have any facility to phone home AFAIK, never mind apps like iStat Menus. So if the app doesn't know its been revoked, what's to stop people from not uninstalling the app but rather keep using it?
One look at the screenshot would suggest to me that the apps run in a sort of subscription sandbox. Cancel the subscription, the sandbox closes, no access to apps.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
San Antonio, TX
For $10 a month, you are better off just putting that money towards the apps you actually need without the BS of a subscription.

I doubt most of the people are going to be regularly using more than a few apps. This is like those BS app bundles with 1 or 2 apps you actually use.

humanresources

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
What... the... heck... it only works in a Setapp folder, not only that but when you open an app a pop up box shows up before you even enter the app AND THEN you have to wait for it to load the app open. Then there is the unnecessary download icons and the fact that it's only in a sandboxed location and it takes up the side of your dock and your finder just to use them... nope. Deal breaker.

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.