Mac/Apple specific RAM memory...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ferry888, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Ferry888 macrumors member

Been in the market for a memory upgrade and looking around the web for prices.
    I noticed some vendors are selling MAC/Apple specific memory modules, like G.skill for example... The Apple version is more expensive as usual.
    Is this just a marketing trick or what. Since the specs of compatible RAM is the same for a windows system as well as a OS-X system.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

yep, it's just a marketing gimmick, it's exactly the same

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There is no specific Mac RAM. However, Macs do seem to require their RAM to be a little more consistent than some PC's, so I've typically seen that the really bargain brands sometimes don't work even though the same chip may work in a PC. I just always make sure I get it from a supplier with a lifetime warranty, then you don't really have to worry.

jW

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Mac's require a specific timing for it to work. With that said, as long as the 'non-mac' branded stuff has the same timings (and I don't just mean the speed of the ram), then you should be good. For example, the PC8500 (1066 mhz) has to have a 7-7-7-20 and the PC10666 (1333 mhz) has to have 9-9-9-24 (if memory serves).

P.S. I have never bought any memory for my MBP's that are "mac compatible". I just stuck to the speed/timings above and have had no problems.

6. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

As far as brands go, before I upgraded to 8GB, the original sticks were Samsung branded. Oddly enough, the 8GB kit I bought from DMS were also Samsung modules.

7. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

what ever may be the case, i still recommend you get RAM from reputable sources such as OWC or Crucial.

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Apple uses:

1)samsung
    2)hynix
    3)micron/crucial

I have purchased and upgraded more then 100 macs such as macbook macbook air macbook pro mac minis imacs and macpros. I been doing this as a small business for 5 years.

In each and every mac I opened I found one of the three ram modules mentioned. micron is crucial the oem side is called micron the retail is crucial. good sellers are

www.newegg.com
    www.superbiiz.com
    www.macsales.com

note superbiiz has a house name supertalent if the ram is supertalent and uses samsung or hynix chips it will work in a mac.

My ramstick percent in swaps is 198 for 200..

I am not even sure that the two bad sticks were my fault meaning I put in a pair of bad sticks or a dishonest/incompetent buyer on ebay. The seller was superbiiz and replaced the sticks.

9. drambuie macrumors 6502a

This weekend I upgraded my mid-2010 15" MBP to 8GB. I used Kingston KTA-MB1066K2/8G. The Kingston RAM uses hynix chips, as did the Apple OEM RAM, which is manufactured by hynix. The OEM Apple RAM was listed as manufacturer 0x0198 in profiler, and the new Kingston RAM is also 0x0198. That's due to the hynix chips.