Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you are seeing long delays in launching apps or being unable to open Mac Apps at all, this may be due to Apple having significant problems right now with their services.

developer-notary-service.png

Apple has noted on their status site that "Users may be experience issues with the service." We've seen reports that this is affecting launching apps when connected to the internet.

A forum user describes what they are experiencing:
This is the most bizzare problem. My Macbook slows to a crawl when WiFi is enabled. I'm not talking about internet speed, that is fine. But simply launching or using apps becomes extremely slow. Apps will bounce on the dock for 10 minutes before they load.

As soon as I turn off Wifi, everything goes back to normal.
For now, disabling internet connectivity will allow you to bypass the issue temporarily.

Article Link: Mac Apps Not Opening or Slow Due to Apple Server Issues: How to Fix For Now

Last edited:
Reactions: Colonel Blimp

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
It would seem like adding:

Code:
127.0.0.1 ocsp.apple.com

to your to your
Code:
/etc/hosts
file would temporarily stop this from being an issue without having to disconnect from WiFi entirely. Any reasons not to do this? file would temporarily stop this from being an issue without having to disconnect from WiFi entirely. Any reasons not to do this? (Obviously remove this after the issue is resolved)

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
It would seem like adding:

Code:
127.0.0.1 ocsp.apple.com

to your to your
Code:
/etc/hosts
file would temporarily stop this from being an issue without having to disconnect from WiFi entirely. Any reasons not to do this? file would temporarily stop this from being an issue without having to disconnect from WiFi entirely. Any reasons not to do this? (Obviously remove this after the issue is resolved)

yes but it's very important to undo this when things are stable again. hopefully apple will correct this failure to be more graceful in a future update.

romaguyntx

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
Also in the middle of working from home - I do customer service for a major chemical provider and answer the phone - OMG - everything just STOPPED. I restarted like 5 times. Today has not been good - this and the Big Sur update have been 1 big headache. ARghh!

SkyRom

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2018
I wonder what magic 47-syllable word Craig "The Hair Smile" Federighi will come up with to explain the "Instantiation" of this massive launch failure while lecturing us on why Touch Screens, LTE and a unified operating system are dumb ideas. *sigh*

davidf18

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
I am still not able to do the install.

I did fix the "slow" system problem people are reporting.

As a diagnostic, always restart the computer in safe mode and then restart the computer again in regular mode. That fixed the problem for me as it clears some caches, etc.

The Apple Instructions to boot in safe mode:
1. Power down the system
2. Wait 10 seconds
3. Power up while holding the shift key until the sign-on page appears.

bumpylumpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2015
If at all possible, try to have your network or sysadmin add ocsp.apple.com pointing to 0.0.0.0 at the router level, so if you have a company full of Macs you don't end up having to edit every single computer individually.

Also, it's easier when it's time to revert the change; you only have to change it one place. Just be sure to set a reminder to tell your network admin to remove this tomorrow when this is hopefully all fixed!

But I agree with everyone who says Apple needs to fix this on the client side - there is no reason a computer should be waiting for a network connection timeout to verify an application!

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Not sure why there are people on here saying "this screwed up my work." This is the first version of a very new OS. You should be waiting to install this on work machines after a few update points or when you read that it's safe to do so with the apps you need. And THEN install it when you have some free time and a buffer of having to re-install the prior OS if everything doesn't work correctly.

clearly you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. this bug happens REGARDLESS if people have updated or not.

bumpylumpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2015
Not sure why there are people on here saying "this screwed up my work." This is the first version of a very new OS. You should be waiting to install this on work machines after a few update points or when you read that it's safe to do so with the apps you need. And THEN install it when you have some free time and a buffer of having to re-install the prior OS if everything doesn't work correctly.
This is happening on every one of my machines that are running Catalina and Mojave. None of these machines have been updated recently.

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
You do realize this is affecting more than Big Sur downloads. The issue is that applications, when opening, can't connect to the server that validates application certificates. Therefore they either open slowly or won't open at all. That is why people are having trouble working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.