Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evildii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2017
Ukraine, Kiev
Hey, a month or so ago I started getting these odd crashes.. certain parts of the apps go blank or black, it becomes impossible to use anything. Then it can just crash completely - become unresponsive (nothing works at all, including touchpad) and only fixes itself after power off (holding power button) and back on. This happens basically every day but seems pretty random - doesn't matter which app is running exactly or what is being done. Here's a screenshot of the issue:
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 10.29.41 PM.png

The system is MacBook Pro 13 retina (early 2015) 128gb, 8ram. macOS Sierra v10.12.4.
I tried wiping and reinstalling from scratch via recovery, resetting NVRAM, but that didn't resolve the problem. Tried using Apple Hardware Test, memtest, and various HDD tests - none of them show any issues.

No idea what else to do about it, the hardware seems to be ok, but reinstalling the software doesn't help.. Anybody ever experienced this ****? Is there any way to fix it?

nicolasph

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2017
Hi. I have exactly the same issue and my Macbook Pro is Early 2015 too. It doesn't matter if I'm running Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects or just browsing webs.

The issue started in early April. I thought my Mac has virus or adware but Avast and Malwarebytes confirmed no threat. Is it related to the 10.12.4 update in March?

Thinking about a clean install but it doesn't seem helpful for you. Very frustrated now...

Looks like an annual crash bug

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Lots of add-ons in those Menu bars.
Is iTunes up most of the time? I've seen it bring my Mac down.

evildii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2017
Ukraine, Kiev
Lots of add-ons in those Menu bars.
Is iTunes up most of the time? I've seen it bring my Mac down.
No I don't use iTunes at all.
You mean Chrome extensions? There are just a few, anyway, as I mentioned, it crashes outside of chrome, in any app basically, occasionally..

evildii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2017
Ukraine, Kiev
So I open the lid today and it greets me with this freeze of 2 misplaced "loading" icons:
IMG_0558.JPG

..reboot helped.

evildii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2017
Ukraine, Kiev
Okay, apparently nothing helped cause it keeps happening - interface crashes/glitches, freezes completely, only reboot helps to get through the day or couple days..
Any ideas? Anyone?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
I looked at your Etrecheck report, and this popped right out:

System Launch Agents: i
[not loaded] 6 Apple tasks
[loaded] 175 Apple tasks
[running] 71 Apple tasks
[killed] 30 Apple tasks

30 processes killed due to insufficient RAM

System Launch Daemons: i
[not loaded] 43 Apple tasks
[loaded] 168 Apple tasks
[running] 86 Apple tasks
[killed] 20 Apple tasks

20 processes killed due to insufficient RAM

I'll -guess- that you have loads and loads of un-necessary stuff trying to run and it's causing the crashes.

Here's something to try (very easy and harms nothing else):
Create a NEW user account.
Give it administrative privileges.
DON'T put anything "custom" into it.
Instead, just leave it "stock".

Then...
Log out of your existing account, and log into the new (temporary) account.

Then...
Run with the new account for 2-3 days.
Are you still having the same problems?

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
I'm not a hardware guy. But it sounds like a RAM issue to me. Also, with that 128GB drive, how close are you you maxing it out? And how close are you to maxing out the RAM with all your apps running?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.