Mac crashed repeatedly/Hard drive not recognized! Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sparrowhawk13, Dec 29, 2009.

1. sparrowhawk13 macrumors newbie

I have a 2007/2008 MBP 2.4Ghz running 10.6.2. I was having repeated hard crashes
    due, I think, to some stupid firefox mods I made a few days ago. Every 1-3 hours, the system would freeze, make that crackly thinking really hard noise, spin the beach ball, and wait for me to hard restart.

This happens 3 or 4 times today, and on the last crash, the system hangs on restart. Grey screen, spinning grey circle of circles for 10 or so minutes. I can't wait any longer, so I hard restart again, and again the system hangs indefinitely. Now I start to get a bit worried. I boot from the Snow Leopard install disk and open disk utility. From there, I attempted to verify permissions, but the process hangs with one minute remaining for at least 20 minutes. A crash while trying to repair a crash. Great. So I hard restart AGAIN, and open disk utility, this time selecting repair disk. The utility detects a few errors, supposedly corrects them, then hangs for about 2 minutes, finally culminating in the hard drive disappearing act. The bar looks complete, but the hard drive is gone from the list! GONE! I can't select it from the sidebar in Disk Utility. It doesn't show up in the Startup Disk menu. The only drive I can access is the dvd drive with the Leopard disk.

I opened System Profiler and looked under Serial-ATA, and found the only entry was for an Intel ICH8-M ACHI....I don't remember that being there. It used to be a Matsushita drive....

So that's where I'm at right now...can't find anything on google, and I want to do whatever I can before giving up hope on all my data. Haven't made a backup in a WHILE...

Anyone? Help?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds like you've got a good old-fashioned failing hard drive on your hands.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

As Blue Revolution says, your hard drive crashed, so you need a new one. I hope you used Time Machine to backup your data. (Confirmed because your Mac is working fine when booted from your Leopard DVD).

Your choices in order of cost: Sell the machine and buy a new one, have it repaired, or repair it yourself. If you bought Apple Care then check out what they say about it. Otherwise, you should post as precisely as possible which MacBook Pro you have; replacing the hard drive is very easy an all MacBooks and on new MacBook Pros as long as you can use a screw driver without injuring yourself; it was challenging to say the least with older MacBook Pros.

You can use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a bigger hard drive; 320 GB drives are cheap, and 500 GB are not expensive. 640 GB is available but a bit on the expensive side. Any hard drive will do as long as it is 2.5 inch and (important) 9 mm high. There are hard drives that are 2.5 inch and 12 mm high; they will _not_ fit.

Depending on how expensive the repair is if you don't do it yourself, and how you use your MacBook Pro, you can also just buy an external hard drive and use that. Or do that as a temporary measure if you want to use your MacBook Pro _right now_ and figure out later what to do; you can always remove the drive from the external case later and put it into your MacBook Pro. You will waste about $20 or $30 doing that (difference between a drive only and a drive in an external case).

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

This list may be helpful.

See iFixIt.com.

And SATA/SATAII.

Assuming the drive inside fits the above specs. The manufacturer probably won't say, so you'll have to Google around a bit to find out.